MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Where is a beginner coding resource.....
#285472 - 05/08/12 02:05 AM

That tells you the function of every character, and explains syntactic relationship?

(I'm guessing some characters have various meanings across languages, but many of them are the same right?)

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Where is a beginner coding resource..... new [Re: mogli]
#285482 - 05/08/12 02:45 AM

> That tells you the function of every character, and explains syntactic relationship?
>
> (I'm guessing some characters have various meanings across languages, but many of
> them are the same right?)

Define 'character'.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#285493 - 05/08/12 04:20 AM

> That tells you the function of every character, and explains syntactic relationship?
>
> (I'm guessing some characters have various meanings across languages, but many of
> them are the same right?)

If you're talking about operators, I don't think I've ever seen any kind of in-depth list that wasn't specific to a language. There's too much variation from language to language, most of the common ones are pretty self-explanatory.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Where is a beginner coding resource..... new [Re: DMala]
#285517 - 05/08/12 07:47 AM

Quote:

If you're talking about operators, I don't think I've ever seen any kind of in-depth list that wasn't specific to a language. There's too much variation from language to language, most of the common ones are pretty self-explanatory.

If one is going to hack MAME then a decent C++ tutorial is recommended. If you're going to create custom drivers or very tightly-coded and very efficient proggies for specific FPU's/CPU's then assembly is recommended. Or, if you just want to code something quick'n'dirty there's FreeBASIC. And then there's various libraries that can help you code without having to code specific routines from scratch. And there's also JavaScript, Perl, Python, Ruby and many other languages.

Know what you want to do, pick a language, find a decent compiler for it, grab the appropriate reference and go for it. :-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Where is a beginner coding resource..... new [Re: italie]
#285612 - 05/08/12 11:03 PM

> > That tells you the function of every character, and explains syntactic
> relationship?
> >
> > (I'm guessing some characters have various meanings across languages, but many of
> > them are the same right?)
>
> Define 'character'.

Maybe you mean symbols. Bottom line: I get it my way or I won't do it, and I'll drop it quicker than my gaze passes right over a skinny chick.

In other words: you say what you know; I tell you which direction to go.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Where is a beginner coding resource..... new [Re: DMala]
#285614 - 05/08/12 11:08 PM

> If you're talking about operators, I don't think I've ever seen any kind of in-depth
> list that wasn't specific to a language. There's too much variation from language to
> language, most of the common ones are pretty self-explanatory.

I still have this feeling that people who code don't recognize set/group theory in relation to programming languages.

The Culture

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#285618 - 05/08/12 11:19 PM

> > > That tells you the function of every character, and explains syntactic
> > relationship?
> > >
> > > (I'm guessing some characters have various meanings across languages, but many of
> > > them are the same right?)
> >
> > Define 'character'.
>
> Maybe you mean symbols. Bottom line: I get it my way or I won't do it, and I'll drop
> it quicker than my gaze passes right over a skinny chick.
>
> In other words: you say what you know; I tell you which direction to go.

Your compiler was not written by burger king.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#285619 - 05/08/12 11:22 PM

> In other words: you say what you know; I tell you which direction to go.

Grow up! It doesn't work that way.

People will not help you if they have to guess what kind of information you're looking for or what the basis of your question is.

Be specific! Nobody's going to write 30 lines about what they think that you might be asking, only to have you reply "thanks but that's not it".

S

Sune
Connected
Send PM

An historical_nt new [Re: italie]
#285620 - 05/08/12 11:22 PM

> > In other words: you say what you know; I tell you which direction to go.
>
> Your compiler was not written by burger king.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: Where is a beginner coding resource..... new [Re: italie]
#285622 - 05/08/12 11:33 PM Attachment: windows7_whopper.jpg 33 KB (2 downloads)

> Your compiler was not written by burger king.

Fuzzy compilers, the next big thing!

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Where is a beginner coding resource..... new [Re: Sune]
#285627 - 05/08/12 11:51 PM

I like italie's response. That was worth the effort.

In any case. Um, yes it does work that way. And they say the right things right off (usually a sentence or three), and we go somewhere, or they don't and we don't.

The Culture

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#285631 - 05/09/12 12:06 AM

> I like italie's response. That was worth the effort.
>
> In any case. Um, yes it does work that way. And they say the right things right off
> (usually a sentence or three), and we go somewhere, or they don't and we don't.

I understand what you're looking for but for that to happen on an internet forum then you'd have to be extremely lucky...or the person answering the question already knows you personally...in which case you could just ask him in person.

"we go somewhere"..heh, you're asking a technical question, not inviting someone to take LSD with you.
You are the one who wants to go somewhere, the other person will simply be answering a question.

S

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Where is a beginner coding resource..... new [Re: Sune]
#285633 - 05/09/12 12:11 AM

> > I like italie's response. That was worth the effort.
> >
> > In any case. Um, yes it does work that way. And they say the right things right off
> > (usually a sentence or three), and we go somewhere, or they don't and we don't.
>
> I understand what you're looking for but for that to happen on an internet forum then
> you'd have to be extremely lucky...or the person answering the question already knows
> you personally...in which case you could just ask him in person.
>
> "we go somewhere"..heh, you're asking a technical question, not inviting someone to
> take LSD with you.
> You are the one who wants to go somewhere, the other person will simply be answering
> a question.
>
> S

I've come into several situations having people who've met my criteria - meaning, usually when I'm *not* looking or asking. I still occasionally look or ask.

The Culture

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Where is a beginner coding resource..... new [Re: aavada]
#285636 - 05/09/12 12:45 AM

> > Your compiler was not written by burger king.
>
> Fuzzy compilers, the next big thing!

I stand corrected, maybe compilers are written by BK.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1447