View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Resumes
#284989 - 05/05/12 03:11 AM Attachment: 6082125957_66896a1a8d_z.jpg 196 KB (4 downloads)

Anyone tried an out-of-the-ordinary resume like this and if so got any responses? I'm gonna try to model a new resume after something like this just for kicks.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Fail new [Re: Andrew]
#284990 - 05/05/12 03:22 AM

> Anyone tried an out-of-the-ordinary resume like this and if so got any responses? I'm
> gonna try to model a new resume after something like this just for kicks.

Make sure you spell "Curriculum Vitae" correctly unlike mr. awesome designer

S

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Resumes new [Re: Andrew]
#284994 - 05/05/12 03:49 AM

> Anyone tried an out-of-the-ordinary resume like this and if so got any responses? I'm

I just had to screen such a résumé yesterday - went straight to the bin. He got a response, just not a positive one.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Resumes new [Re: Andrew]
#284995 - 05/05/12 03:54 AM

>
>
> .

I have, but the only responses are usually from "interesting" companies. One to six man indie operations with Hank Scorpio types running it. Not many have ever panned out to be places I would want to spend 8 hours at.

Still probably get more responses with strange formats than I do with traditional resumes. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Like Vas said, the more traditional companies will probably toss it.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Resumes new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#284996 - 05/05/12 04:13 AM

> > Anyone tried an out-of-the-ordinary resume like this and if so got any responses?
> I'm
> > gonna try to model a new resume after something like this just for kicks.
>
> I just had to screen such a résumé yesterday - went straight to the bin. He got a
> response, just not a positive one.

My first thought looking at a resume like that is that the person is most likely annoying. To me, a resume should be all business - short, easy to read, and with the most pertinent facts first. Creative formatting, goofy fonts, and useless graphics turn me off right away. I'm not even a big fan of BS like mission statements, objective statements, or any of the crap.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

You old fuddy-duddies! new [Re: DMala]
#285083 - 05/06/12 12:33 AM

I thought it was rad. See everything in a glance, it's laid out in a creative, yet structured, manner. Easy to bounce around yet not lose track. Of course, it needs a cover page to present yourself by.

Also love that PEAR.....glor-ious PEAR....in the attached image. Breasts are a little much, but hot damn. OLD-SCHOOL FOR THE RULE!

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: You old fuddy-duddies! new [Re: mogli]
#285140 - 05/06/12 07:06 AM

> I thought it was rad. See everything in a glance, it's laid out in a creative, yet
> structured, manner. Easy to bounce around yet not lose track. Of course, it needs a
> cover page to present yourself by.

Such résumés never have everything you want/need to see. They rely on trying to impress HR drones with bright colours while avoiding any actual content. It also fails to demonstrate written communication skills. Coherency and conciseness of text in a résumé is a good indicator of how well someone can do with e-mail, JIRA tickets, etc. I'm not an old fuddy-duddy - in fact I could be younger than you. But I've seen thousands of résumés and interviewed hundreds of candidates. There are patterns you notice, and the people who provide those kinds of résumés are generally not the kind of people you want to hire. It’s more efficient to ditch them before the interview phase.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: You old fuddy-duddies! new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#285141 - 05/06/12 07:22 AM

> > I thought it was rad. See everything in a glance, it's laid out in a creative, yet
> > structured, manner. Easy to bounce around yet not lose track. Of course, it needs a
> > cover page to present yourself by.
>
> Such résumés never have everything you want/need to see. They rely on trying to
> impress HR drones with bright colours while avoiding any actual content. It also
> fails to demonstrate written communication skills. Coherency and conciseness of text
> in a résumé is a good indicator of how well someone can do with e-mail, JIRA tickets,
> etc. I'm not an old fuddy-duddy - in fact I could be younger than you. But I've seen
> thousands of résumés and interviewed hundreds of candidates. There are patterns you
> notice, and the people who provide those kinds of résumés are generally not the kind
> of people you want to hire. It’s more efficient to ditch them before the interview
> phase.

Kind of depends on the job you are gunning for. That resume format might fly for a graphic arts job, a layout guy, Gui Design...etc.

That said it appears he's a code monkey, and yes, he looks like a tool. His content didn't help him much either

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: You old fuddy-duddies! new [Re: mogli]
#285162 - 05/06/12 02:47 PM

> I thought it was rad. See everything in a glance, it's laid out in a creative, yet
> structured, manner. Easy to bounce around yet not lose track. Of course, it needs a
> cover page to present yourself by.

Remind me to never hire you.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

To you and Vas new [Re: DMala]
#285220 - 05/07/12 12:02 AM

> > I thought it was rad. See everything in a glance, it's laid out in a creative, yet
> > structured, manner. Easy to bounce around yet not lose track. Of course, it needs a
> > cover page to present yourself by.
>
> Remind me to never hire you.

Hahahahahah. Not to worry, I'm not available. But anyways, content is key. Layout is mutable.

Notice I very rarely use abbreviation, I don't use net or leet speak, and my wording (including, and perhaps particularly, vernacular) is careful.

(in some contrast to the above statement on layout) You could have an online resume format guideline. A glance at the beginning of any resume would tell you whether they'd paid attention, or/and looked in the right place.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

^bingo. my exact thoughts. nt new [Re: DMala]
#285409 - 05/07/12 09:36 PM

i learned everything i know from KC

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

It works for limited targets new [Re: Andrew]
#285431 - 05/07/12 11:10 PM

Someone screening resumes likely has a giant pile to sort through... a creative resume like that one would get round-filed in a heart beat unless it was, in and of itself, a display of creativity required for the job.

Anything corporate... it's more likely a null resume.

IMHO the best resumes are specific to the position being hired, and put the best qualification in the very first line. If it's a generic resume that could apply to all kinds of jobs, then the relevant information may be there, but buried under a ton of crap they don't care about.

Having personally had to filter through a hundred resumes lately. I was looking for keywords in the content to meet the need... if you failed to have those key words, OR IF I COULDN'T FIND THOSE KEYWORDS QUICKLY it got round filed... if I saw them in my quick glance, I stopped to read the rest.

If they are looking for a C++ programmer... the first line should be "PhD in C++ with fifteen years experience."

The rest is mumbojumbo after that if they want to see what else you got.

EDIT: Thinking more about it... next to a strong resume, even better is a follow-up visit, next best is a follow-up phone call. Don't pop in unannounced, schedule a 5 minute face-to-face just to say "I dropped off a resume for the position I think I'm a perfect fit for, and wanted to touch base and see if you had any questions." Don't turn it into an interview... they'll do that if they want to. That alone will make them look at your resume.

Edited by Gatinho (05/07/12 11:19 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2031