MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RocLobstaAdministrator
Lazy ass admin
Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: SW UK
Send PM

Well it's been a few months, Donations Required...
#284773 - 05/03/12 12:12 PM

...if you wish of course (yes I know that's two begging posts today)

Few paying sponsors these days, so any donations from members greatly received.

Hosting costs quite a lot for this huge site, so most of the previous donation batch has been spent now.

Paypal donations direct to me: [email protected] (yes I know it's not a MW email address, but I gave that up in 2004 due to spam overload)

Thanks in advance guys.

www.mameworld.info

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Well it's been a few months, Donations Required... new [Re: RocLobsta]
#284787 - 05/03/12 04:47 PM

Can you remove the banners of the ones who don't pay from the main page? Otherwise there is no incentive for them.

RocLobstaAdministrator
Lazy ass admin
Send PM

Re: Well it's been a few months, Donations Required... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#284788 - 05/03/12 05:01 PM

> Can you remove the banners of the ones who don't pay from the main page? Otherwise
> there is no incentive for them.

Some companies have 2 spaces (X-gaming) so it looks like more, a few of the guys sponsored us for over 10 years, so I give them extra months to hang on to them.

Sponsorship pricing is the same as it was in 2001 as increasing it lost even more sponsors.

There was as time when we had more companies than spaces and they had to rotate.

I think user sponsorship is the future as companies are disappearing from the scene.

One belongs to me and was put there today as a temporary measure, I'll chip in myself for that.

We had several hundred dollars last time, which have kept us going, which was great, a little more will see us ok for a lot longer.

www.mameworld.info

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

#284789 - 05/03/12 05:07 PM

$5 sent.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#284795 - 05/03/12 06:35 PM

> > Can you remove the banners of the ones who don't pay from the main page? Otherwise
> > there is no incentive for them.
>
> Some companies have 2 spaces (X-gaming) so it looks like more, a few of the guys
> sponsored us for over 10 years, so I give them extra months to hang on to them.
>
> Sponsorship pricing is the same as it was in 2001 as increasing it lost even more
> sponsors.
>
> There was as time when we had more companies than spaces and they had to rotate.
>
> I think user sponsorship is the future as companies are disappearing from the scene.
>
> One belongs to me and was put there today as a temporary measure, I'll chip in myself
> for that.
>
> We had several hundred dollars last time, which have kept us going, which was great,
> a little more will see us ok for a lot longer.

Maybe a stupid question (I don't know much about the state of web commerce today) but would hosting more mainstream ads bring in enough revenue to be worthwhile? It sucks to have ads plastered all over everything, but if it makes the site more sustainable, it seems like a few banner ads would be worth it.

RocLobstaAdministrator
Lazy ass admin
Send PM

Re: Well it's been a few months, Donations Required... new [Re: DMala]
#284805 - 05/03/12 08:36 PM

> > > Can you remove the banners of the ones who don't pay from the main page?
> Otherwise
> > > there is no incentive for them.
> >
> > Some companies have 2 spaces (X-gaming) so it looks like more, a few of the guys
> > sponsored us for over 10 years, so I give them extra months to hang on to them.
> >
> > Sponsorship pricing is the same as it was in 2001 as increasing it lost even more
> > sponsors.
> >
> > There was as time when we had more companies than spaces and they had to rotate.
> >
> > I think user sponsorship is the future as companies are disappearing from the
> scene.
> >
> > One belongs to me and was put there today as a temporary measure, I'll chip in
> myself
> > for that.
> >
> > We had several hundred dollars last time, which have kept us going, which was
> great,
> > a little more will see us ok for a lot longer.
>
> Maybe a stupid question (I don't know much about the state of web commerce today) but
> would hosting more mainstream ads bring in enough revenue to be worthwhile? It sucks
> to have ads plastered all over everything, but if it makes the site more sustainable,
> it seems like a few banner ads would be worth it.

Probably, but we've managed to avoid it since 1999, so would like to continue to do so.

www.mameworld.info

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#284813 - 05/03/12 09:57 PM

If it's going to cost several hundred dollars every few months I would get rid of basically everything including hosting mame.exe mirrors. I don't know what pieces are worth that much money.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#284833 - 05/04/12 02:55 AM

If I may ask,
who are the big time sponsors that we have lost?

Roughly, what are your yearly operating costs?

This site cannot go down. I won't have it.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Well it's been a few months, Donations Required... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#284839 - 05/04/12 03:33 AM

> If it's going to cost several hundred dollars every few months I would get rid of
> basically everything including hosting mame.exe mirrors. I don't know what pieces are
> worth that much money.

uploading self compiled builds to sendspace or something I guess is an option when a release takes place.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Well it's been a few months, Donations Required... new [Re: B2K24]
#284840 - 05/04/12 03:35 AM

Those don't make any difference. It's the mirrors on mamedev.org that do serious bandwidth. But with our current size package it doesn't matter, we don't go over. My suggestion was a downsize, attachments don't affect anything, or didn't when I last checked.

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

#284855 - 05/04/12 04:37 AM

Sent $5.00

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#284981 - 05/05/12 02:38 AM

Sent $100.00

I hope that's enough to make a dent.

TrevEB

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
3 registered and 658 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2286