MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

What is it with "Always on" electronic devices?
#284308 - 04/29/12 07:02 PM

I have a sandwich maker that I like, I enjoy hot sandwiches for lunch most of the week. The thing I hate is that it has no on/off switch. The moment I plug it in, it turns on.

My PS2/Wii and former electric grill are the same. One of the things I love about my "current" electric grill is it does have an on/off switch.

Are electronics becoming so freaking cheap that on/off switches are too much to include?

I can't imagine its good for them when they're plugged and unplugged, and I bet it shortens their lifespan, plus wastes electricity and wouldn't be good for the environment.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: What is it with "Always on" electronic devices? new [Re: greybeard]
#284325 - 04/29/12 09:50 PM

The Wii is on standby mode all the time so you can turn it on remotely. And PS2 did have a toggle switch on the back to totally kill it(PS2 slim may not have)

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Re: What is it with "Always on" electronic devices? new [Re: Reznor007]
#284328 - 04/29/12 09:55 PM

I've only had Slim PS2 systems and don't notice them having on/off buttons.

Can you use the Wiimote to turn off a Wii? I just get it to go to 'red' which is Standby, right?

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: What is it with "Always on" electronic devices? new [Re: greybeard]
#284335 - 04/29/12 10:17 PM

Yeah, you just switch it to standby. It doesn't run the whole thing though, just enough to be able to turn on when you press the button. Unless you have the WiiConnect24? option on where it runs the CPU in low power mode to download news updates or other stuff while in standby.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: What is it with "Always on" electronic devices? new [Re: Reznor007]
#284342 - 04/29/12 10:35 PM

> Yeah, you just switch it to standby. It doesn't run the whole thing though, just
> enough to be able to turn on when you press the button. Unless you have the
> WiiConnect24? option on where it runs the CPU in low power mode to download news
> updates or other stuff while in standby.

Most digital electronics have sleep/hibernate/low power modes now that put the device into a VERY low power mode. Like microAmps draw low. You are probably burning more power due to resistance in the transmission lines than you are leaving these things on. These devices are most certainly voltage regulated, so switched ot plugged in power on shouldn't make a bit of difference.

A grill or hot plate really doesn't need a switch. These aren't devices that manufacturers want left plugged in. You shouldn't want that either. Chances are you would be more likely to leave it plugged in if it had a switch, and all it would take is one forgetful evening to burn your house to the ground...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 939