MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

I hate pharmaspammers!
#283892 - 04/26/12 09:39 AM

I was writing a response detailing my bad experience with a significant other who was hooked upon a certain benzo within another thread. I'll call the problem substance "Zinyix" here. ;-)

I hate ALL spammers! When they feel that the technology gives them carte blanche to abuse it to the point our Inboxes are flooded with various toxic "pharmaceutical" remedies for insecure WASP males I can only feel for the anti-spammers who have to keep that dike forever plugged.

It was, much to my chagrin, that the proper spelling of "Zinyix" didn't allow my reply to make it upon the boards until I realized what was going on. And, with no doubt within my own mind, I think that the generic name would be banned as well.

Spammers LOVE to preach about free speech. The problem is that they are NOT paying for that bulk-equivalent of shouting their bloomin' heads off! In the end, to fend off spam, sysadmins have to enforce filters that do a great job at blocking the spam since most of it is for the illicit procurement of controlled substances.

The problem is that those same filters block clinical speech. And I don't blame the sysadmins for wanting to keep their systems clean. I blame the spammers because they abused it all to have those gates erected in the first place!

Speech isn't free. There is always a price to to be paid given the content of what you chose to disseminate. Sure, you can exclaim anything you want to the public and the high heavens. But there is always going to be another voice to either support or counter what you throw out there.

This is not a one-way conduit like the corporate-owned/corporate-subsidized mass media of television, magazines, radio and newspapers. Spammers need to learn that.

Dead seriously,

--Bekki

P.S. I welcome support and/or brickbats. Besides, if spammers sucked I'd support them for they'd be good for something.

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: I hate pharmaspammers! new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#283912 - 04/26/12 03:39 PM

People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life, take a cheap shot at you and then disappear. They leer at you from tall buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that imply you’re not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else. They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you.

You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they like with total impunity.

Fuck that. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It’s yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head.

You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don’t owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don’t even start asking for theirs.

- Banksy

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Re: I hate pharmaspammers! new [Re: Hizzout]
#283918 - 04/26/12 05:06 PM

At one point in your life you realize that most of everyone elses opinions about you are superficial and don't matter. Sure we should care about our relationships and other people, but in the long run, we are accountable to ourselves. We have to face ourselves and answer to ourselves.

Its taught to us from an early age to constantly seek others approval, but in the long run, its pointless. Most of us here are out of high school / college and after you graduate, you should learn that what matters the most is being who you are and true to that.

I'm fat, I'm quite well aware of that fact. I only diet because my 4th open heart surgery was due to that fact. I'm doing what I can to lose weight, but even then I only care to get to 220 lbs, and if I can do that I'll be happy to try and stay and that weight.

I know I'm far from perfect, but I never will be perfect. I just accept myself at face value and work on the limitations I have that I think need prioritization and are areas I can change for the better.

That's what we should do, be true to ourselves and try to change what we want to change that we believe we can change. None of us will ever be perfect, and all the butt kissing and trying to be liked by others won't matter in life. What will matter will be are we who we think we ought to be, not what others want us to be. If we aren't happy with ourselves, does it matter what others think?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 504 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 922