MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Renaming No-Intro files to GoodSets (Goodtools)
#283268 - 04/20/12 06:30 AM

Does anyone know of a way or program to rename No-Intro files to GoodSet files?

It seems like No-Intro is becoming the new standard of ROM sets instead of GoodSets.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Renaming No-Intro files to GoodSets (Goodtools) new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#283287 - 04/20/12 01:14 PM

> Does anyone know of a way or program to rename No-Intro files to GoodSet files?
>
> It seems like No-Intro is becoming the new standard of ROM sets instead of GoodSets.

???

if nointro is becoming a new standard (which is anyway debatable, since there is no 100% overlapping between the sets, and because you might want to look at MESS software lists too) why do you want to rename those files to GoodSet files?

anyway,

1. if you have files named after GoodSets and you want to rename them to nointro names, just use cmpro with a nointro dat (hoping that you have the correct files... a lot of nointro files are new dumps obtained after the last release of the corresponding Goodtool)
2. if you have files named after nointro and you want to rename them to GoodSets names, just use GoodXXX.exe programs themselves...

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#283303 - 04/20/12 06:01 PM

> Does anyone know of a way or program to rename No-Intro files to GoodSet files?
>
> It seems like No-Intro is becoming the new standard of ROM sets instead of GoodSets.

Good sets are a real mess, but it has its advantages. For starters it classifies public domain ROMs, translations, trainers, specific old emulator/copier fixes and unfortunately a lot of bad/overdumped ROMs everyone loves not to discard. If you're looking for anything like this, Good sets are for you but keep them Good merged to save space. The largest Good merged set so far are GoodGBA and GoodN64 with aprox. 7.00GB and 5.30GB respectively (it's easier to check this information looking at places we obviously can't reveal here but are out there for everyone). Keep in mind the latest Good tool is two years old (excepting only GoodPico which is 2 months old) and some good tools have been outdated for more than 5 years.

If you instead prefer only correct commercial dumps, the best approach is to look for no-intro sets now. No homebrew, no hacks, no bad dumps, all verified dumps and constant updates. I guess some no-intro collections don't reach as many commercial ROMs as Good Tools have, but it will get there eventually. Each Good tool takes years to update so they miss a lot of new prototypes and dumps current no-intro collections have.

As etabeta said, Good tools itself are the best way to rename no-intro sets. It's been a while since the last time I used such tools, but if I recall correctly you simply put the ROMs unzipped in a directory along with the tool and type "Goodxxx rename" (i.e. "GoodGen rename").

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Renaming No-Intro files to GoodSets (Goodtools) new [Re: etabeta]
#283310 - 04/20/12 07:45 PM

Do you mean the other way around? from goodsets > No intro? Dont goodsets have alot of nonsense roms in them? like roms that dont even work,prototype a\b etc..?

anyway if its converting FROM goodsets > no intro just get the no intro dat from the dat -0- matic,load it in clrmamepro,and let it do its thing eliminate all the extra goodset roms

LOL just like eta said above me

Edited by mesk (04/20/12 07:49 PM)

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: Renaming No-Intro files to GoodSets (Goodtools) new [Re: BIOS-D]
#283370 - 04/21/12 06:32 AM

Sorry, I should have explained that I'm not talking about ROM files. I want to convert NES In-game snapshots that are named after the No-Intro format and rename them to the GoodSet format.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#283376 - 04/21/12 07:16 AM

> Sorry, I should have explained that I'm not talking about ROM files. I want to
> convert NES In-game snapshots that are named after the No-Intro format and rename
> them to the GoodSet format.

Oh, that's even harder. Unless someone states me wrong there's not batch files or datafiles to do something like that. All that process is definitely made by hand. A bit painful because you need to extract all "[!]" (and unverified copies without "b","o","h" tags) first, then rename them according to the standard.

"Zero Wing (E) [c][!].png" to "Zero Wing (Europe).png"
"Zero Wing (J).png" to "Zero Wing (Japan).png"

Maybe batch renaming and disappearing tags with the help of excel?
- List everything on column B (don't forget to enclose each one with double quotes)
- Add "ren" to column A
- Copy everthing from column B to column C
- Do the name modifications on column C (remove "[!]" and "[c]", change "(J)" to "(Japan)", etc.)
- Copy/paste on a batch file and execute

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

#283379 - 04/21/12 07:34 AM

Use skinny match. it will match them to your roms.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: Renaming No-Intro files to GoodSets (Goodtools) new [Re: mesk]
#283742 - 04/24/12 05:39 PM

So did you ever try skinny match? if so,did it work for you?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4924