Pages: 1

evh347
Lurker
Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: United States
Send PM

Mame 145 - Black Screen - Tempest
#282929 - 04/17/12 04:43 AM

Im getting a black screen when launching a couple games.

Tempest and Area51 for starters.

Is this a screen resolution problem? Known already?

Fix? Thanks!

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Mame 145 - Black Screen - Tempest new [Re: evh347]
#282941 - 04/17/12 05:23 AM

> Im getting a black screen when launching a couple games.
>
> Tempest and Area51 for starters.
>
> Is this a screen resolution problem? Known already?
>
> Fix? Thanks!

Works just fine here on 145u6.

Maybe cleanup contents of cfg, nvram, and diff directories then try and relaunch those games.

evh347
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Mame 145 - Black Screen - Tempest new [Re: B2K24]
#283768 - 04/24/12 09:44 PM

If I run Tempest via "Run in a Window" using MameUI32 v145u6...tempest will work.

If I uncheck that box in the game's Display properties tab, it won't work.

I got it to work by highlighting the ROM in question (Tempest) in MameUI32 and doing this:

Right Click on the ROM, Choose "Properties", Display Tab, Change the 'rotation' drop down to "anti-clockwise", click "Apply" and then "OK". Then run the Rom and go into the game config menu (TAB). The Config menu will be on its side. Arrow down to "Video Options" and hit ENTER. Arrow down to "Rotate" and cycle thru until you see "None".

The Config menu stays awkwardly on its side, but the game will run upright and non-windowed.

Edited by evh347 (04/24/12 09:44 PM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#283780 - 04/25/12 02:46 AM

sounds like a lot of song and dance just to get a game running. There is a reason mameUI isn't officially supported anymore and I can't for the life of me figure out why people still wanna use that.

You checked out official MAME with QMC2 or GameEX Front End?

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Mame 145 - Black Screen - Tempest new [Re: B2K24]
#283782 - 04/25/12 03:09 AM

> sounds like a lot of song and dance just to get a game running. There is a reason
> mameUI isn't officially supported anymore and I can't for the life of me figure out
> why people still wanna use that.
>
> You checked out official MAME with QMC2 or GameEX Front End?

MAMEUI or MAME32 was NEVER officially supported. Maybe some of us old timers like it because it is easy to use and we are familiar with it. Some of us don't have the problems you think we do. Come to think of it, I cannot think of a single instance that there was a bug running a game in MAMEUI that was not in the 'official' command line build.

I checked out QMC2 and didn't really care for it. No offense to the author. I guess I am set in my ways. If that is all there was, I'm sure I would use it or something else and get used to it. I have no reason at this time though.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#283783 - 04/25/12 03:14 AM

> If I run Tempest via "Run in a Window" using MameUI32 v145u6...tempest will work.
>
> If I uncheck that box in the game's Display properties tab, it won't work.
>
> I got it to work by highlighting the ROM in question (Tempest) in MameUI32 and doing
> this:
>
> Right Click on the ROM, Choose "Properties", Display Tab, Change the 'rotation' drop
> down to "anti-clockwise", click "Apply" and then "OK". Then run the Rom and go into
> the game config menu (TAB). The Config menu will be on its side. Arrow down to "Video
> Options" and hit ENTER. Arrow down to "Rotate" and cycle thru until you see "None".
>
> The Config menu stays awkwardly on its side, but the game will run upright and
> non-windowed.

I'm guessing you have a video driver problem. I just tried Tempest with MAMEUI and it works fine for me. Try downloading the latest 'u' release. Also try the command line version. I have a hunch you will have problems with it too. Make sure you put it in the same folder as MAMEUI so it uses the same ini file(s).

evh347
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Mame 145 - Black Screen - Tempest new [Re: redk9258]
#283839 - 04/25/12 06:23 PM

> > If I run Tempest via "Run in a Window" using MameUI32 v145u6...tempest will work.
> >
> > If I uncheck that box in the game's Display properties tab, it won't work.
> >
> > I got it to work by highlighting the ROM in question (Tempest) in MameUI32 and
> doing
> > this:
> >
> > Right Click on the ROM, Choose "Properties", Display Tab, Change the 'rotation'
> drop
> > down to "anti-clockwise", click "Apply" and then "OK". Then run the Rom and go into
> > the game config menu (TAB). The Config menu will be on its side. Arrow down to
> "Video
> > Options" and hit ENTER. Arrow down to "Rotate" and cycle thru until you see "None".
>
> >
> > The Config menu stays awkwardly on its side, but the game will run upright and
> > non-windowed.
>
>
> I'm guessing you have a video driver problem. I just tried Tempest with MAMEUI and it
> works fine for me. Try downloading the latest 'u' release. Also try the command line
> version. I have a hunch you will have problems with it too. Make sure you put it in
> the same folder as MAMEUI so it uses the same ini file(s).

Actually, I've been using the command line version a lot. I think MameUI32 is pretty slow and unresponsive compared to how it used to run years ago. Anyways, I only used the GUI because I am familiar with it from years ago and it helped me out troubleshooting through the different display options rather than me staring at an INI file for hours wondering what switches to throw, hope and pray. That being said, I've gotten much better at staring at INI files so I might be one step closer to weening myself from the GUI once and for all.

I tried the command version of Mame and I was getting the same issue with Tempest. I tried a few (3) older iterations of Mame (all official releases) and the newest 145u7 version as well. Same issue. So yeah, it could be a driver issue, but it's really the only game that had this issue...hard for me to believe anyways. However, if I'm having the issue and you're not...it very well could be a driver issue. I don't know.

To the other member...I use the Hyperspin FE and I'm fairly well versed (now) in databases, scripts, modules, etc...but if Tempest wouldn't display properly using just the command line, it also certainly didn't work when run through a FE.

I agree, it's a convoluted fix...but it fixes it nonetheless. If someone else benefits from it, great.

Thanks for the responses.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Mame 145 - Black Screen - Tempest new [Re: redk9258]
#283840 - 04/25/12 06:31 PM

I used to only use MAMEUI,that is until I got into frontends,now its Hyperspin when im using the 55" TV,and QMC2 when using the 20" monitor.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2983