MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Spam Phun: "Your order *** for helicopter for the weekend"
#282679 - 04/16/12 12:27 AM

I get spam daily. Most his the filters with no problems. Though I love to occasionally delve within my Junk folder to see the last few months' of crap.

This is very funny to me (I've censored private info here and later with "***"):

Quote:

Your order for our air carriage services has been accepted and processed.=
The rotorcraft will be at your disposal from 0.45 thursday to 2.30 p.m. =
sunday. Once again, the rates are as follows:
1 hour in the air: 878$
Takeoff / Landing: 279$
1 hour down time on the ground: 89$
Longest flight is 5 hours.
When flying for longer distances, a second pilot is needed, and the cost =
accordingly grows by 87$ per hour.

For grinz, here's the header (emphasis added):

Quote:

From - Sun Apr 15 17:04:22 2012
X-Account-Key: account1
X-UIDL: 395651187
X-Mozilla-Status: 0000
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: ***
Received: from col4-omc5-s75.col7.hotmail.com (col4-omc5-s75.col7.hotmail.com [65.55.90.111]) by mail.objectiv.be;
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:08:08 +0300
Received: from COL007-W10 ([65.55.90.157]) by col4-omc5-s75.col7.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:08:08 +0300
Message-ID:
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="_d03a5af4-b5af-e6bf-49dc-c084bfe6bfe6_"
X-Originating-IP: [224.7.246.112]
To: <***>
Subject: Your order N47232 for helicopter for the weekend
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:08:08 +0300
Importance: Normal
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-OriginalArrivalTime: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:08:08 +0300

Well, isn't that special. Being that it's so easy to trace these things, why do spammers bother? ;-)

In the meantime, who wants to fly?

--Bekki

EDIT: Here's another one:

Quote:

Your order for our air carriage services has been accepted and processed.=
The chopper will be at your disposal from 18.45 sunday to 5.15 a.m. mond=
ay. Once again, the rates are as follows:
1 hour in the air: 595$
Takeoff / Landing: 152$
1 hour down time on the ground: 46$
Longest flight is 3 hours.
When flying for longer distances, a co-pilot is needed, and the cost cons=
equently grows by 73$ per hour.

Quote:

From - Sun Apr 15 17:04:00 2012
X-Account-Key: account1
X-UIDL: 395555591
X-Mozilla-Status: 0000
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: ***
Received: from col7-omc6-s90.col4.hotmail.com (col7-omc6-s90.col4.hotmail.com [65.55.90.89]) by aitmx5.prodigy.net;
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:26:07 +0500
Received: from COL002-W44 ([65.55.90.19]) by col7-omc6-s90.col4.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:26:07 +0500
Message-ID:
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="_e90eb83c-72df-17d5-b304-6eb88304646e_"
X-Originating-IP: [229.137.139.100]
To: <***>
Subject: Your order N51158 for helicopter for the weekend
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:26:07 +0500
Importance: Normal
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-OriginalArrivalTime: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:26:07 +0500

Why do they bother? Don't they know that I don't have to "open" the E-mail per se and directly just punch up its plaintext source via Thunderbird/SeaMonkey (CTRL+U)?

Anyway, it's entertaining stuff to me. ;-)

Edited by Bekki Doll (04/16/12 12:34 AM)

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Spam Phun: "Your order *** for helicopter for the weekend" new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#282681 - 04/16/12 02:21 AM

I don't know what you use spam-filter wise, but you should report stuff that slips through your filters to SpamCop. Just create an account and cut/paste the raw email source and submit.

They remove your personal information from the email and send it to the upstream ISPs, if they can figure it out.

Ultimately, emails you submit to SpamCop get added to their blocklist if enough people report it in a small enough period of time... http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml

Then people like me can use their blocklist as part of our spam filtering regimen.

I also use the SpamHaus Zen blocklist... http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/

as well as a few others.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

"phil her mouth with kurn" has always been my favorite... new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#282683 - 04/16/12 02:54 AM

all your bases belong to us!

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: Spam Phun: "Your order *** for helicopter for the weekend" new [Re: krick]
#282691 - 04/16/12 05:05 AM

Quote:

I don't know what you use spam-filter wise, but you should report stuff that slips through your filters to SpamCop. Just create an account and cut/paste the raw email source and submit.

I like SpamCop. It's a service I enjoy using and have been using for a very long time. Very easy to use. Why do the IP tracing yerself when you can have a computer do it all for you, send the appropriate E-mails to the proper abuse and postmaster channels and fortify its own database? It's cool on a whole lot of levels. :-)

I use the built-in filtering of Mozilla's SeaMonkey. The equivalent would be Mozilla's Thunderbird, since SeaMonkey is essentially FireFox+Thunderbird plus tons of webdev tools in one suite. It does a great job and what slips past is easily tagged.

Again, sometimes I enjoy seeing what shows up with that Junk folder. The helicopter stuff certainly is out of the ordinary when compared to the usual genital-improvement and banking scams.

My faves are the banking ones since it's dead easy to see if it actually did originate from a bank's website. A quick CTRL-U pops up the plaintext source and I can see right there. It only takes me a couple of seconds until I state, "LIAR!!!!". Ya can't pull that past the Bekkster. ;-)

Tagged & junkbagged. Fun stuff. Some people are annoyed by spam. Me, I dig knowing how the con works and don't get burned. I have yet to string a Nigerian along but I've read of how one person did it. I'll have to traceback through my history to find that webpage. Very funny stuff. :-)

So don't worry. I'll be okay and laughing all the way.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Spam Phun: "Your order *** for helicopter for the weekend" new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#282744 - 04/16/12 10:14 AM

> My faves are the banking ones since it's dead easy to see if it actually did
> originate from a bank's website. A quick CTRL-U pops up the plaintext source and I
> can see right there. It only takes me a couple of seconds until I state, "LIAR!!!!".
> Ya can't pull that past the Bekkster. ;-)
>
> Tagged & junkbagged. Fun stuff. Some people are annoyed by spam. Me, I dig knowing
> how the con works and don't get burned. I have yet to string a Nigerian along but
> I've read of how one person did it. I'll have to traceback through my history to find
> that webpage. Very funny stuff. :-)
>
> So don't worry. I'll be okay and laughing all the way.
>
> --Bekki

So, you're able to spot a fake, when you know before you look that every one of them is a fake?

Here is my spam folder, since I cleared it out yesterday:

Quote:

CUSA University Directory

Return To School With A Grant. See If You Qualify! - Return To School With A Grant. See If You Qualify! Click Here.

COBRA Solution

Individual and Family Health Insurance Starting at $99/mo! - Individual and Family Health Insurance Starting at $99/mo! Click Here.

Police Training

triggerfin, Get Trained For an Exciting New Career! - triggerfin, Get Trained For an Exciting New Career Click Here.

Loan Approval

Bad Credit? OK! - Up to $1500 - Bad Credit? OK - Up to $1500 Click Here.

Windows Installation

Save 60% on Heating & Cooling; fix your Windows - Please click "Not Spam" above if delivered to spam folder Reduce Heating & Cooling

Prepaid-MasterCard

Your Walmart Prepaid Mastercard - Please click "Not Spam" above if delivered to spam folder Pay Bills and Shop Online …

I don't need to access any part of these emails to know they are all scams. Some are trying to make money by selling me free information, others aren't even offering that. Do you think any of these scams might not be a scam?

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Spam Phun: "Your order *** for helicopter for the weekend" new [Re: TriggerFin]
#282754 - 04/16/12 01:53 PM

Quote:

I don't need to access any part of these emails to know they are all scams. Some are trying to make money by selling me free information, others aren't even offering that. Do you think any of these scams might not be a scam?

What I meant was this:

Spammers love to target via phishing people who have bank accounts. One spammer used the name and logos of my bank. And I get legit E-mail from my bank all the time.

One glance at the header and I saw that a spammer was trying to use my confidence in my bank against me. I notified my bank and gave their abuse/postmaster addresses a copy of the spam for further investigation.

So, yes, the majority gets detected by the filter. That which doesn't I simply tag'n'junkbag via reading sender/subject lines without opening. The select few, that bank phishing scam, gets its header examined to determine if it's actually from my bank.

I really don't spend much time on spam. Sometimes it's wild to see what winds up getting junkbagged on a slow day. :-)

So there ya go.

--Bekki

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 370 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1696