MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Knuckle Joe
#282517 - 04/14/12 05:31 AM

Can we all agree that this is an awful, awful game? I'm curious, has anyone ever seen or played it on a real cab? Is the speed really that spastic on the real machine?

Neat optical illusion... play 5-6 games of Knuckle Joe, then load up Donkey Kong. The whole game appears to move in slow motion for a few minutes.

To quote Ringo... "I got blisters on me fingers!!"

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

You're right - it sucks ass new [Re: DMala]
#282522 - 04/14/12 06:07 AM

Looks like a kung fu Rushn Attack, and it's about as bad. ('85 was mostly a terrible year for arcade games, Gun.Smoke being a monumental exception.) This next game, Hopper Robo seems a little ghetto for '83, but stick with it a little bit, it has some good stuff.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: You're right - it sucks ass new [Re: mogli]
#282533 - 04/14/12 06:38 AM

> Looks like a kung fu Rushn Attack, and it's about as bad. ('85 was mostly a terrible
> year for arcade games, Gun.Smoke being a monumental exception.) This next game,
> Hopper Robo seems a little ghetto for '83, but stick with it a little bit, it has
> some good stuff.

Yeah, so far I can play Hopper Robo without gritting my teeth. Swimmer was actually pretty fun, too. I like the obscurity of the games that are being chosen. You have to actually focus on games that you otherwise would probably just gloss over. Plus, I think it levels the playing field a little. It's unlikely anyone has played Hopper Robo enough to have an advantage just from sheer practice.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: You're right - it sucks ass new [Re: DMala]
#282538 - 04/14/12 07:20 AM

Oh yea Knuckle Joe is horrible.I saw it on one of the Retro Rumble videos for the first time,I tried it and it sucks.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#282565 - 04/14/12 07:49 PM

> Looks like a kung fu Rushn Attack, and it's about as bad. ('85 was mostly a terrible
> year for arcade games

Gradius came out in 1985, foo. You sayin' it's terrible?!

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: You're right - it sucks ass new [Re: Master O]
#282571 - 04/14/12 08:23 PM

> Gradius came out in 1985, foo. You sayin' it's terrible?!

Maybe he meant revenue wise it was starting to decline at that time.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

#282644 - 04/15/12 07:32 PM

> year for arcade games, Gun.Smoke being a monumental exception.) This next game,
> Hopper Robo seems a little ghetto for '83, but stick with it a little bit, it has
> some good stuff.

err... Ghosts 'n' Goblins is 1985... One of the best games ever made IMO. Not a terrible year after all...

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: You're right - it sucks ass new [Re: Mamesick]
#282680 - 04/16/12 12:51 AM

> err... Ghosts 'n' Goblins is 1985... One of the best games ever made IMO. Not a
> terrible year after all...

Also, not mentioning some games that others have brought up:

• Penguin-Kun Wars
  • Tiger Heli
  • Space Harrier
  • Ninja Princess
  • Hang-On
  • Vs. Battle City
  • Baraduke
  • Yie Ar Kung-Fu
  • The Empire Strikes Back
  • Gauntlet

Not a bad year for arcade entertainment at all.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: You're right - it sucks ass new [Re: Mamesick]
#282690 - 04/16/12 05:04 AM

> > Looks like a kung fu Rushn Attack, and it's about as bad. ('85 was mostly a
> terrible
> > year for arcade games, Gun.Smoke being a monumental exception.) This next game,
> > Hopper Robo seems a little ghetto for '83, but stick with it a little bit, it has
> > some good stuff.
>
> err... Ghosts 'n' Goblins is 1985... One of the best games ever made IMO. Not a
> terrible year after all...

Pretty much any year had its share of stinkers. Ghosts'n'Goblins and Knuckle Joe do share one thing, though... they're both hard as hell. I'm thinking '85 was probably about the peak year for difficult games. The trend of the quarter sucker -being able to just shove quarters in until you won- really got going just a year or two later.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: You're right - it sucks ass new [Re: B2K24]
#282726 - 04/16/12 08:26 AM

> > Gradius came out in 1985, foo. You sayin' it's terrible?!
>
> Maybe he meant revenue wise it was starting to decline at that time.

Nope, I meant they were terrible games. As was Gradius. The only one of that line worth playing is Vulcan Venture.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: You're right - it sucks ass new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#282729 - 04/16/12 08:29 AM

> > err... Ghosts 'n' Goblins is 1985... One of the best games ever made IMO. Not a
> > terrible year after all...
>
> Also, not mentioning some games that others have brought up:
>
>
> Penguin-Kun Wars
> Tiger Heli
> Space Harrier
> Ninja Princess
> Hang-On
> Vs. Battle City
> Baraduke
> Yie Ar Kung-Fu
> The Empire Strikes Back
> Gauntlet
>
>
> Not a bad year for arcade entertainment at all.

Only Yie-Ar Kung Fu was okay. That's the only one in that list that is a 'playing game' on my machine. (I have Gauntlet, but only for archival purposes.) Ghosts and Goblins is a playing game, and I play it perhaps once a year.

The Culture

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#283170 - 04/19/12 04:24 AM

> > > Gradius came out in 1985, foo. You sayin' it's terrible?!
> >
> > Maybe he meant revenue wise it was starting to decline at that time.
>
> Nope, I meant they were terrible games. As was Gradius. The only one of that line
> worth playing is Vulcan Venture.

Technically, it's called Gradius II.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 189 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1783