MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again...
#281484 - 04/04/12 08:04 PM

--- How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again ---

(note: also works for all clones and asteroids deluxe)
this regards the mametesters report which was closed without any action being taken:
http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=4398

(by the way, if anyone wants to see the problem with asteroids since mame 0.109... load the game, aim your spaceship in any direction, fly at full speed, and notice the spaceship 'jerks along' instead of flies smoothly.. also the small/fast rocks jerk along as they move across the screen..)

ok so i noticed AWJ's comments in the mametesters report and managed to get asteroids running smooth by doing the following (note: im using mameui latest version)

1. turn on cheats (note: u dont need to have cheat.zip in your mame folder, just turn on cheats anyway)
2. load asteroids (or asteroids deluxe, or clones...)
3. bring up the mame Config Menu
4. go into the Slider Controls menu
5. change the Screen Refresh Rate from 60.000 to 61.500
6. now the just play the game as normal. fast moving objects like your spaceship at full speed or fast moving small rocks are moving smooth again

note: you may also need to use vsync/triple buffer to get smooth results (depending on your setup etc)

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again... new [Re: grog]
#281550 - 04/05/12 09:48 AM

What kind of monitor are you using (CRT or LCD) and what refresh rate is the monitor running at?

grog
Send PM

Re: How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again... new [Re: AWJ]
#281577 - 04/05/12 05:40 PM

i did the test just using my laptop (lcd) screen, and regular mameui.. i didnt need to use the 'refresh speed' option in mameui....

however i normally use mameuifx, with a 60hz television, and i use the refresh speed option to force everything to run at 60hz.. however asteroids runs jerky using ths setup UNTIL again i set it to 61.5 as u mentioned, at which case its nice and smooth as it should be.

so thanks for that great 61.5 tip, and while i have your attention, do u have a recommendation for star wars also (i notice it is currently set at 40fps... can i tweak that a bit to get better results?)

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again... new [Re: grog]
#281628 - 04/05/12 10:23 PM

Does Star Wars look any smoother if you force the frame rate to 41 instead of 40?

grog
Send PM

#281698 - 04/06/12 03:53 PM

> Does Star Wars look any smoother if you force the frame rate to 41 instead of 40?

ok i did some tests but didnt have much luck with that one

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#281706 - 04/06/12 06:25 PM

> What kind of monitor are you using (CRT or LCD) and what refresh rate is the monitor
> running at?

FWIW, I think Asteroids should simply be set to 61.5 Hz refresh. MAME has not exactly been shy about using real refresh rates when they cause problems with LCD monitors in the past and I don't think we should start now. Ditto other vector games; their NMI to refresh ratios should be determined and the refresh rate set accordingly.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Another point of view. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#281736 - 04/07/12 12:26 AM

Strict adherence also creates a problem with MAME not accurately representing the game as it was on the actual hardware. On the real machine, the game played smooth. People experiencing this game through MAME years down the road with no access to the original hardware will think that's how the game behaved on real hardware.

Over the years I've learned that hacking drivers to make a game run better on modern PC hardware has it's own share of problems and doesn't jive with MAME's goals. I'm merely suggesting that the current stance is less than optimal and can lead to misrepresentation of how a game was displayed. Perhaps if refreshspeed was a bit more intelligent about how it alters a games speed?

Edited by vram74 (04/07/12 12:41 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#281764 - 04/07/12 10:41 AM

> Ditto other vector games; their NMI
> to refresh ratios should be determined and the refresh rate set accordingly.

IMO For vector games, frames should be created at the current display rate.

Edited by smf (04/07/12 10:44 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again... new [Re: ]
#281766 - 04/07/12 02:09 PM

> > Ditto other vector games; their NMI
> > to refresh ratios should be determined and the refresh rate set accordingly.
>
> IMO For vector games, frames should be created at the current display rate.

No, they should be created at the rate that the original hardware processed the display list.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#281767 - 04/07/12 02:17 PM

Does a vector display have a 'frame rate'? If I understand correctly, the beam is continuously moved around the screen to draw what is needed. It is not drawn X many times a second like a normal CRT but more or less continuous beam. I guess the output is muted at times where something is not drawn.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again... new [Re: redk9258]
#281813 - 04/08/12 03:52 AM

> Does a vector display have a 'frame rate'? If I understand correctly, the beam is
> continuously moved around the screen to draw what is needed. It is not drawn X many
> times a second like a normal CRT but more or less continuous beam. I guess the output
> is muted at times where something is not drawn.

The game generates a list of vectors to draw. The video hardware processes the list at regular intervals. For Atari Asteroids, this is done 61 times per second. That's the "frame rate" people are talking about.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: How To Make Asteroids In Mame Run Smooth Again... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#281954 - 04/09/12 02:24 PM

> The game generates a list of vectors to draw. The video hardware processes the list
> at regular intervals. For Atari Asteroids, this is done 61 times per second. That's
> the "frame rate" people are talking about.

Yup. For the unfamiliar, this is almost exactly the same way modern 3D GPUs work, as far back as the original PlayStation.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2357