MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/13/11
Send PM

Repeating Sound issue upon exit
#281276 - 04/02/12 07:47 PM

I'm going to post this on the Maximus Arcade site also since that's my front end, but I'm having this problem where when I exit out of a emulator sometimes the sound just repeats over and over like a machine gun and doesn't go away until I restart the computer.

Anyone experience something like this. It happens more on Newer 3D games usually.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Repeating Sound issue upon exit new [Re: thehuntsmen5434]
#281278 - 04/02/12 08:28 PM

Which emulators does this happen?

What soundcard is in your computer (if any) or if you're using onboard sound, what is your motherboard?

A uninstall/reinstall or checking for updated drivers might be your best bet to remedy this issue.

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Repeating Sound issue upon exit new [Re: B2K24]
#281294 - 04/02/12 10:55 PM

> Which emulators does this happen?
>
> What soundcard is in your computer (if any) or if you're using onboard sound, what is
> your motherboard?
>
> A uninstall/reinstall or checking for updated drivers might be your best bet to
> remedy this issue.

It's happened on all of them. Epsxe, PC games, Snes9x, Kusion, Project64, Mame64, NullDC, nes (forgot which).

I put in a sound card to actually try to eliminate this problem ASUS Zonar DG Sound Card.

Its gotta be a problem with Maximus Arcade because it doesn't happen when I just run them through Windows. MA has a Quit Executable function, but its as simple as a single button to do it.

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Send PM

#281296 - 04/02/12 11:04 PM

Actually I just looked up my Audio card and that's a common problem. I just have to disable GX mode or whatever on it. I'll try that later when I get home.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#281301 - 04/03/12 12:45 AM

Depending on your particular motherboard, you might need to put it in a different PCI slot. Some soundcards are VERY sensitive to IRQ sharing.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Repeating Sound issue upon exit new [Re: krick]
#281358 - 04/03/12 03:44 PM

> Depending on your particular motherboard, you might need to put it in a different PCI
> slot. Some soundcards are VERY sensitive to IRQ sharing.

What krick said. There should be a table somewhere in your motherboard manual that shows which slots share an IRQ with other devices/slots.

If there's no slot available that doesn't share an IRQ, you can use one that shares IRQ with a device you don't use, like the serial port for example, or the on board sound if you have disabled that in the BIOS.

Kind of old school talking about IRQ sharing in 2012 isn't it.

S

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Repeating Sound issue upon exit new [Re: Sune]
#281360 - 04/03/12 03:54 PM

It ended up being just the GX mode enabled in my Sound card software messed up the sound. I just turned it off and the problem never happened again.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Repeating Sound issue upon exit new [Re: Sune]
#281402 - 04/03/12 08:59 PM

>
> Kind of old school talking about IRQ sharing in 2012 isn't it.
>

Basic PC motherboard architecture hasn't changed much in the last 15+ years because they want to maintain backwards compatibility.

What has changed is that modern motherboards have multiple USB and SATA controllers as well as onboard sound, lan, and video all sharing the same FOUR IRQ lines reserved for the PCI bus. Every pair of USB ports is a single device, so boards sporting 8 USB ports actually have 4 devices fighting for IRQs.

Even if you disable the LPT (parallel) port, COM (serial) ports, floppy drive, and PS/2 keyboard and mouse, no additional IRQs are available for devices sharing the PCI bus. It's still limited to 4 IRQs total even if they shift around.

I know that some modern chipsets have moved certain devices like the LAN port off the PCI bus, but I don't know how that meshes with legacy device IRQs. It probably just steals one of the PCI IRQs, leaving only three.

I think this mess is part of the reason that there was such a hard push to move to an interface like USB where multiple low-bandwidth devices can be chained off a single port using a hub architecture.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3019