Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Daily backup: flash or DVD-RW?
#280308 - 03/24/12 06:58 PM

I am starting a company and I will need to make daily backups of all the projects. I'm not sure what could be better, if buying a pendrive or use DVD rewritable. Which one is more reliable?

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Daily backup: flash or DVD-RW? new [Re: Pi]
#280313 - 03/24/12 07:15 PM

> I am starting a company and I will need to make daily backups of all the projects.
> I'm not sure what could be better, if buying a pendrive or use DVD rewritable. Which
> one is more reliable?

Personally, I've never had great luck with DVD-RW. Bad burns, discs that could only be read on the drive they were burned on, bad media, etc. At least with flash, once the files are copied, they're there and you can generally read them anywhere, at least until the media gives up the ghost.

Either way, make sure you have multiple backup copies and rotate them frequently. I don't know how many businesses I've seen with a single Zip Disk/flash drive/CD/whatever with their entire business on it. Terrifying.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#280318 - 03/24/12 07:57 PM Attachment: lrp9067159.jpg 1778 KB (1 downloads)

> I am starting a company...

What sort of company? Are you hiring?

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Daily backup: flash or DVD-RW? new [Re: Andrew]
#280373 - 03/24/12 10:54 PM

> What sort of company? Are you hiring?

Yes we need a soccer player, thank you very much for sending us that candidate ^_^

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#280385 - 03/25/12 02:33 AM

I'm gonna give the flash method a try at work soon. Another option for us is using external USB hard drives but since we have a clean desk policy we're supposed to unplug and lock it up when we leave. The other option is remote backup where our data is copied to a network attached storage device. That's not so bad I guess but they haven't got the kinks worked out yet.

I miss the days of using tape backup. Seemed to be much easier to work with but then again we dealt with much less data back then.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

#280387 - 03/25/12 02:40 AM

How about using a service like carbonite.com?

There is no law in the arena

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Daily backup: flash or DVD-RW? new [Re: Andrew]
#280389 - 03/25/12 02:48 AM

> I miss the days of using tape backup. Seemed to be much easier to work with but then
> again we dealt with much less data back then.

Backups are an enormous pain in the ass these days. Hard drives are massive and cheap, but they've completely outstripped the capacity of any secondary format that would be useful for backups.

The hard drive on my main system started flaking out the other day, so I made an image and saved it to the drive that is supposed to be reserved for emulation stuff. I managed to fix the flakiness, but now I've got this 400GB image that I don't know what to do with. I'm not 100% confident in the drive, so I'm afraid to delete it, but I literally have no place to put it.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Daily backup: flash or DVD-RW? new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#280390 - 03/25/12 03:07 AM

> How about using a service like carbonite.com?

Not a bad idea but the backup will be soon in the order of gigabytes so uploading with my bandwidth is not an option.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

#280393 - 03/25/12 03:14 AM

From what I understand it only does the main backup once then monitors for changes and updates it's end accordingly so unless you are talking about adding gigs. of data on a daily basis then you should still be good.

There is no law in the arena

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#280395 - 03/25/12 03:17 AM

> I am starting a company and I will need to make daily backups of all the projects.
> I'm not sure what could be better, if buying a pendrive or use DVD rewritable. Which
> one is more reliable?

Use an external USB hard drive. These things are cheap as dirt and they have longer write cycles then flash drives or rewritables. On a side note are you going to keep a copy of the daily backups off-site?

Kevin Eshbach

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Daily backup: flash or DVD-RW? new [Re: keshbach1]
#280402 - 03/25/12 04:03 AM

> Use an external USB hard drive. These things are cheap as dirt and they have longer
> write cycles then flash drives or rewritables. On a side note are you going to keep a
> copy of the daily backups off-site?

Yes I will use an external usb hd for daily backups plus a flash drive to make weekly backups which will be saved in another place. Besides that all the data is located in my computer. That makes 3 places for the data. Is that redundant enough or should I add another security layer? ^_^

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#280413 - 03/25/12 04:52 AM

> one is more reliable?

You're crazy if you think either is going to give you the reliability you need for stuff that actually matters. Tape with off-site storage for weekly backups, and daily backups kept on-site and rotated on a schedule. You'll thank me when things go badly wrong.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Daily backup: flash or DVD-RW? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#280416 - 03/25/12 05:31 AM

And a dry run once or twice a year to make sure it all still works...

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Daily backup: flash or DVD-RW? new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#280431 - 03/25/12 08:53 AM

There are other programs like that except they goto local servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software#Proprietary

Had one at my last job cant think of the name unfortunatly (sorry). It was decent. They installed it on all the pcs automatically. Never even noticed it running. I usually scheduled it to do the incremental backup in the middle of the night or during lunch.

A few dudes I work with use that particular one right now and they are not very happy with it. It is slow and basically took over their computers. Though I have heard of a couple of other dudes saying it works fine.

The trick is finding one that is not aggressive and goes slow in the backups... The nice bit about getting it onto a central serve is you can just dump it all into a tape backup and do a standard tape rotation on it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 306 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1248