View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Best Console Port of an Arcade Game
#278855 - 03/11/12 08:11 AM

What do you think some of the best console ports of an arcade game are? Take into consideration the authenticity, most true to the original, near identical graphics, gameplay, controls, etc.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#278856 - 03/11/12 08:12 AM

Two of my picks is (NES) "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game" and (SNES) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

Edited by OldSchoolGamer (03/11/12 09:24 AM)

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#278861 - 03/11/12 08:30 AM

That would be NES. The SNES port would be Turtles in Time, which was pretty decent as well.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: Firehawke]
#278866 - 03/11/12 09:22 AM

> That would be NES. The SNES port would be Turtles in Time, which was pretty decent as
> well.

Ah that's right. I edited/corrected it. And yes, they were both very good ports.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#278870 - 03/11/12 11:57 AM

> What do you think some of the best console ports of an arcade game are? Take into
> consideration the authenticity, most true to the original, near identical graphics,
> gameplay, controls, etc.

Time Crisis 3. Literally the game play is the same in every aspect unlike TC 2 which had better graphics, HUD and "dead-eye" indicators.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#279012 - 03/12/12 01:07 PM

The Berzerk ports to the Atari 2600 & 5200 would be another one of my picks. But I'd assume that it is alot easier to do an authentic looking port of an old simple and low grade graphics type of game versus a newer complex and graphically intense. On the other hand, that wasn't the case with the infamous Pac-Man Atari 2600 port. They really botched that port.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#279015 - 03/12/12 01:11 PM

Ah I forgot to list the Apple IIGS port of the game "Rastan". That port was well regarded as the closest in matching the arcade original graphically, in terms of fluid animation, music and sound.

ScaledSprite
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/12/12
Send PM

#279017 - 03/12/12 01:29 PM

> What do you think some of the best console ports of an arcade game are? Take into
> consideration the authenticity, most true to the original, near identical graphics,

Rampage: World Tour on N64, in all of the categories you list.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#279031 - 03/12/12 03:44 PM

House of the Dead on the DC is a good port.

Time Gal for the Laseractive is another.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#279035 - 03/12/12 04:25 PM

Strider for the SEGA Genesis/Mega-Drive. ...I can't recall which one I played first, probably the port, but once you can beat that - the arcade version is a breeze.

Take just about any 2D Capcom fighter for the SEGA Saturn (I don't feel like making a list). Or almost any 2D arcade game that was ported over to it.

I never really did get another system after Dreamcast, but there are plenty of arcade classic ports for home systems -nowadays.

eta: This, of course, shouldn't include more recent games that have enough processing power in their home console port that is equal to or better than the arcade version. Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast for instance.

Edited by Tom Braider (03/12/12 04:47 PM)

LEVEL-4

edcosta
15khz user
Reged: 05/25/07
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: ]
#279037 - 03/12/12 04:30 PM

Strider - Genesis/MD, Gradius - Nes.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#279043 - 03/12/12 05:23 PM

> Ah I forgot to list the Apple IIGS port of the game "Rastan". That port was well
> regarded as the closest in matching the arcade original graphically, in terms of
> fluid animation, music and sound.

Yeah, that was great. Also the IIgs ports of Arkanoid, Arkanoid II, Qix, and Marble Madness.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: R. Belmont]
#279046 - 03/12/12 05:32 PM

Colecovision Donkey Kong.I like that one almost as much as the arcade original.

That game pretty much sold the Colecovision,it was leaps and bounds above it competitions offerings of that game,on the Intellivision and 2600.

Also Soul Edge\Soul Blade.The PS1 port of that game is excellent,it still holds up today,in fact I have been replaying it this past week,and it is a great as I remembered it,greatest videogame music ever!!

Edited by mesk (03/12/12 05:41 PM)

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

#279047 - 03/12/12 05:36 PM

They botched many arcade ports on the 2600,it just didnt have the power to make those games look right.
Dont get me wrong though,some of those 2600 ports are classics in their own right.

In fact,I prefer Asteroids on the 2600 over the arcade version.As for Berzerk,my favorite port of that game is on the 5200.As far as Pacman on the 2600 goes,well its just better to not discuss that game...I still feel the burn I got when I got that game as a kid.

Edited by mesk (03/12/12 05:37 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: mesk]
#279049 - 03/12/12 06:29 PM

> Also Soul Edge\Soul Blade.The PS1 port of that game is excellent,it still holds up
> today,in fact I have been replaying it this past week,and it is a great as I
> remembered it,greatest videogame music ever!!

I don't know if that counts as a port given the arcade version was on PS1 hardware Top 5 fighting game soundtracks ever though for sure.

Naoki
Send PM

#279051 - 03/12/12 07:00 PM

So was Time Crisis 3 but there was no rule saying the hardware had to differ xP

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#279052 - 03/12/12 07:17 PM

> They botched many arcade ports on the 2600,it just didnt have the power to make those
> games look right.
> Dont get me wrong though,some of those 2600 ports are classics in their own right.
>
> In fact,I prefer Asteroids on the 2600 over the arcade version.As for Berzerk,my
> favorite port of that game is on the 5200.As far as Pacman on the 2600 goes,well its
> just better to not discuss that game...I still feel the burn I got when I got that
> game as a kid.

Most of them were botched because of time constraints, rather than primitive hardware. Where there's a will, there's a way, at least with the Atari 2600. If Atari can remake Battlezone on the 2600 whilst retaining the 3D gameplay instead of a Combat-like playfield, there's no excuse for shitty knock-offs of well known titles. The irony is, most of the 'good' Atari ports, were of Atari's own games, like Asteroids and Super Breakout, and a few conversions/remakes of discrete logic games. Obviously they must have wanted to make other companies' games look inferior to their own, but they took it way too far, blaming it on their own system instead (as opposed to time, quality checks, R&D etc).

DK was 'deliberately' made crappy on the 2600 by Coleco, just to make it look the Colecovision was a "far" superior console. Pac-Man was basically "make a Pac-Man knock-off from an empty slate with no original source code to look at - in a few days". Compared with Ms. Pac-Man and Jr., and the resultant Pac-Man hacks from these games, it's obvious that the original title could have been made much better if the programmer(s) had more time back in the early 1980s.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

#279054 - 03/12/12 07:19 PM

If it weren't for the fact its actually better than the arcade, I'd say Soul Calibur as well.

I wish Soul Blade were sold as a digital image on the PSP. IMSHO that would be an excellent game to play on it.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#279056 - 03/12/12 08:13 PM

> DK was 'deliberately' made crappy on the 2600 by Coleco, just to make it look the
> Colecovision was a "far" superior console. Pac-Man was basically "make a Pac-Man
> knock-off from an empty slate with no original source code to look at - in a few
> days".

Right. Atari's versions of Pac-Man for PC/Apple II/etc were all significantly better than the 2600 version (and the 5200 version was near-perfect aside from the horrible analog joysticks). 2600 Ms. Pac Man was also far, far better. So they obviously weren't trying to make either Namco or the makers of other hardware look bad a la Coleco, it was just a crappy effort.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

#279058 - 03/12/12 08:36 PM

It always seemed as if the best versions of Atari's games were for consoles other then their own.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#279060 - 03/12/12 08:41 PM

I still remember the sinking feeling I got in my stomach after firing up my new 2600 Pac Man cart,from the minute I turned it on I was sad, ( I was about 6 yo) but it only got worse after hitting that first corner and seeing that Pac Man didnt even face the proper direction.

Only game that topped that disappointment was E.T.,also on the 2600.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

#279076 - 03/13/12 12:11 AM

> Yeah, that was great. Also the IIgs ports of Arkanoid, Arkanoid II, Qix, and Marble
> Madness.

Mac port of Arkanoid did a great job of preserving the feel of the game on a monochrome display.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

The ZX Spectrum ports of Cavelon and Bomb Jack_nt new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#279079 - 03/13/12 01:03 AM

S

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#279080 - 03/13/12 01:05 AM

> > Yeah, that was great. Also the IIgs ports of Arkanoid, Arkanoid II, Qix, and Marble
> > Madness.
>
> Mac port of Arkanoid did a great job of preserving the feel of the game on a
> monochrome display.

Totally agree, it was pretty much arcade perfect except for the lack of colurs.
Did you know that it plays music with the floppy drive motor when you complete it?

S

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#279102 - 03/13/12 04:29 AM

I remember reading that in the case of Atari 2600 Pac-Man, the original coder is still HORRIBLY embarassed.

Basically, he put together a quick and dirty demo to show that the game COULD be done on the 2600, and management said, "Great! Ship it!" against his protests. Certainly that was frequently the modus operandi of Atari-- Activision was formed as a protest against Atari's methods.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#279103 - 03/13/12 04:37 AM

I'm going to go against the grain here. You said that I should take into account how authentic the port was, but I'm going to partially ignore that.

I would consider many of Konami's NES ports to be some of the best arcade ports. Most were recognizable as being very close to their source material, but Konami also didn't feel compelled to stick to certain elements that didn't work in the originals (e.g. the really horrid jumping animation in AC Contra) and frequently added additional content (Life Force's completely new stage) to flesh out the game further.

I'd go so far as to say that these games could be argued to be BETTER then their original AC versions despite the limitations of the hardware. I'd certainly say Contra and Super Contra were.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#279134 - 03/13/12 07:23 AM

Anybody mind if I take notes?

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#279137 - 03/13/12 09:26 AM

Marble Madness on the Amiga. That was the first game that I can remember that was almost exactly like the arcade in graphics, sound, and gameplay.

Waremonger
Send PM

#279138 - 03/13/12 09:43 AM

> I remember reading that in the case of Atari 2600 Pac-Man, the original coder is
> still HORRIBLY embarassed.
>
> Basically, he put together a quick and dirty demo to show that the game COULD be done
> on the 2600, and management said, "Great! Ship it!" against his protests. Certainly
> that was frequently the modus operandi of Atari-- Activision was formed as a protest
> against Atari's methods.

I don't think Tod Frye was that embarrassed considering he hung one of the million dollar checks he received for it on the wall in his office. He tells the story on the "Once Upon Atari" DVD. IIRC, he was pretty proud of his work given the extreme deadline he was under and claimed that he could have done a better job if given more time and ROM space on the cart.

I bought 2600 Pac-Man the day it came out and it was a huge letdown when I got home and plugged it in.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: DMala]
#279139 - 03/13/12 11:33 AM

> > What do you think some of the best console ports of an arcade game are? Take into
> > consideration the authenticity, most true to the original, near identical graphics,
> > gameplay, controls, etc.
>
> Anybody mind if I take notes?

You'd better! How about you do Arkanoid next? Remember to include IIgs, Mac, and even the recent DS port!

Trebor
MAME Fan
Send PM

#279159 - 03/13/12 06:15 PM

> I'm going to go against the grain here. You said that I should take into account how
> authentic the port was, but I'm going to partially ignore that.
> I'd go so far as to say that these games could be argued to be BETTER then their
> original AC versions despite the limitations of the hardware.

I place Rygar on the NES in the above. My favorite game on that system.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Send PM

#279166 - 03/13/12 07:02 PM

Here are some of my choices for CONSOLE ports. Some seemed to have thrown in Computer ports when answering, which is a whole different league. Also self-published/homebrews/hacks I am excluding from consideration.

Berzerk Atari 5200
BluePrint Atari 5200
Bump'N'Jump ColecoVision
Burgertime ColecoVision (Pre and Post crash)
Carnival ColecoVision
Centipede Atari 7800 (5200 runs an extremely close second, IMHO)
Choplifter! SMS
Commando Atari 7800 (Yes, even better than the NES)
Defender Atari 5200
Dig Dug Atari 7800 (Famicom runs a close second post crash)
Donkey Kong NES (ColecoVision if pre crash)
Donkey Kong Jr NES (Colecovision if pre crash)
Double Dragon SMS (Closest to Arcade / NES is my personal fav Until the Genesis port)
Elevator Action NES
Frenzy ColecoVision
Frogger Atari 2600 Starpath Supercharger (Until the Genesis port)
Galaga NES
Galaxian ColecoVision
Gorf ColecoVision
Joust Atari 7800
Jungle Hunt ColecoVision
Kangaroo Atari 5200
Moon Patrol ColecoVIsion
Mouse Trap ColecoVision
Mr. Do ColecoVision (Until the SNES port)
Mr. Do's Castle ColecoVision
Ms. Pac-Man Atari 7800 (5200 runs a very close second)
Pac-Man Atari 5200
Popeye NES (ColecoVision runs second or first pre crash)
Q-bert ColecoVision
Robotron 2084 Atari 7800
Tutankham Colecovision
Venture ColecoVision
Wizard of Wor Atari 5200
Zaxxon ColecoVision

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

How were they versus the Amiga versions? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#279169 - 03/13/12 07:06 PM

I thought the Amiga Marble Madness, for example, really was a seller for the Amiga.

Now I just enjoy playing it "rarely" on my Wii *via Gamecube emulation* with a wavebird.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: Trebor]
#279177 - 03/13/12 08:10 PM

> > I'd go so far as to say that these games could be argued to be BETTER then their
> > original AC versions despite the limitations of the hardware.
>
> I place Rygar on the NES in the above. My favorite game on that system.

Ditto. I was bitterly disappointed when MAME added Rygar, having only played it on the NES prior to that time.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Send PM

#279193 - 03/14/12 01:35 AM

> I was bitterly disappointed when MAME added Rygar, having only played it on
> the NES prior to that time.

Disappointed, indeed. My first arcade experience was a stand-alone arcade emulator from the mid-late 90's, prior to MAME emulating it. I think it was called RYG or RYGAREMU - something like that.

Anyhow, I never even saw a Rygar cab in the Arcades back in the day. The NES version is awesome. The original arcade - not so much, and actually a bit boring.

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#279728 - 03/20/12 03:58 PM

same goes for Ninja Gaiden Arcade vs NES version.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

#279730 - 03/20/12 04:46 PM

It is called "REM!" (RYGAR EMUALTOR)
last updated,1997

http://www.zophar.net/arcade/rem-rygar-emu-.html

But yea,NES Rygar was amazing.Arcade version...I never knew a arcade version existed until I saw it in MAME.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: How were they versus the Amiga versions? new [Re: greybeard]
#279748 - 03/20/12 08:27 PM

> I thought the Amiga Marble Madness, for example, really was a seller for the Amiga.

i also thought it was truly excellent on amiga and had the nice feature of being able to play it with the mouse so u could control the marble much more accurately (ie. analog) as opposed to a digital joystick.

ps. in the same area another cracking amiga game in my opinion was zany golf (altho marble madness is better to play alone, zany golf really shined when played against friends..)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: How were they versus the Amiga versions? new [Re: grog]
#279770 - 03/20/12 10:25 PM

> ps. in the same area another cracking amiga game in my opinion was zany golf (altho
> marble madness is better to play alone, zany golf really shined when played against
> friends..)

Yup. Zany Golf was great (and, like The Immortal, a IIgs original - the music's much better on the IIgs than any of the ports, although the legality of the obvious Pee Wee Herman sample is questionable).

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: How were they versus the Amiga versions? new [Re: grog]
#279827 - 03/21/12 07:33 AM

> ps. in the same area another cracking amiga game in my opinion was zany golf (altho
> marble madness is better to play alone, zany golf really shined when played against
> friends..)

Man that's a blast from the past. I haven't seen that in ages!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#279841 - 03/21/12 09:10 AM

> It is called "REM!" (RYGAR EMUALTOR)
> last updated,1997
>
> http://www.zophar.net/arcade/rem-rygar-emu-.html

We're getting close to be able to emulate DOS + these early emulators in MESS's PC driver, in some cases we're already there.

- Stiletto

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Reged: 04/12/09
Send PM

#279876 - 03/21/12 05:24 PM

Best Arcade ports - that I used to play a lot

Amiga

Bubble Bobble
Cabal (better than arcade version)
Paperboy
Powerdrift
R-type
Silkworm (far superior music than arcade version)

Gamecube

F-Zero GX

Sega Master System

Alien Syndrome
Outrun (I asked for this console as an xmas present for this game alone)

Sega Saturn

Sega Rally Championship

ZX Spectrum

Bomb Jack
Commando
Enduro Racer
Galaxians
Paperboy
Renegade

Edited by zambr (03/21/12 05:45 PM)

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: Stiletto]
#279879 - 03/21/12 05:34 PM

I thought some people are already running Win 95 on the MESS PC driver?

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

#279890 - 03/21/12 06:28 PM

Saturday Night Slam Masters on SNES was about as perfect a port as you can get.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#279898 - 03/21/12 07:11 PM

> I thought some people are already running Win 95 on the MESS PC driver?

it's still a bit unstable, and hence it usually fails to complete installation if you start from scratch

OTOH, if you install the OS with another emu (e.g. Bochs) and then you convert the hard disk image to CHD, I think the OS is then working fine...

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: zambr]
#279910 - 03/21/12 08:40 PM

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Reged: 04/12/09
Send PM

Going slightly Off Topic - reply to MESS PC emulation new [Re: Stiletto]
#279937 - 03/22/12 01:30 AM

> > It is called "REM!" (RYGAR EMUALTOR)
> > last updated,1997
> >
> > http://www.zophar.net/arcade/rem-rygar-emu-.html
>
> We're getting close to be able to emulate DOS + these early emulators in MESS's PC
> driver, in some cases we're already there.
>
> - Stiletto
486 driver is becoming very good
Boots CHD without any problems.
586 driver runs games slower than 486. Maybe it's because i am not getting enough air flow though my virtual tower case

On a serious note, tip for getting your 486 chd working on 586 driver (as people, me included, cannot get the chd file to boot into DOS 6.22). Boot from DOS install floppy disk 1, keep failing the disk, then go onto C drive manually (C: enter).

This gets round the floppy disk error problem too, when trying to boot from a DOS disk. Looks like it reads the boot sector info before you get the error message saying it cannot read the floppy disk.

On latest SVN version.

Edited by zambr (03/22/12 01:55 AM)

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: zambr]
#279938 - 03/22/12 01:37 AM

If anything F-Zero AX is a port of GX since AX AFAIK came out after GX. Besides, they're the same engine and the same hardware so no surprise it's the same XP

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: etabeta]
#279951 - 03/22/12 02:45 AM

> > I thought some people are already running Win 95 on the MESS PC driver?
>
> it's still a bit unstable, and hence it usually fails to complete installation if you
> start from scratch
>
> OTOH, if you install the OS with another emu (e.g. Bochs) and then you convert the
> hard disk image to CHD, I think the OS is then working fine...

That actually improved; people have reported between the fixes for Win95 on FM-Towns and the CD-ROM support you can install entirely on MESS pretty reliably.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Send PM

#279953 - 03/22/12 03:40 AM

> It is called "REM!" (RYGAR EMUALTOR)
> last updated,1997
>
> http://www.zophar.net/arcade/rem-rygar-emu-.html
>
Cool....Thanks for that.

I almost forgot about Zophar's Domain...Wonder if Archaic Ruins is still around too...

Trebor
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Console Port of an Arcade Game new [Re: kevenz]
#279954 - 03/22/12 03:42 AM

> same goes for Ninja Gaiden Arcade vs NES version.

Agreed...The arcade version plays like a slow sloppy mess. The larger sprites don't impress at all when gameplay is so flawed.

NES version sooooo much better.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

#280022 - 03/22/12 03:12 PM

Pit-Fighter ... Oh, wait!! I tought it was the WORSE Console port of an Arcade Game

My vote is for Saint Dragon!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5469