MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Well, I had an exciting last couple weeks.
#278443 - 03/08/12 02:23 AM

I got called for jury duty, and went down there thinking I'd be in the majority that just get sent home... or assigned to some parking violation that would wrap up in a day... but no... I'm picked on a jury to sit on the trial of a kingpin drug dealer who was the point of entry for cocaine to the entire South West region of United States who was busted in a massive sting operation. The trial dragged on with every element that makes a great movie.

There were double crossing informants, other drug importers cooperating with the DEA to take out their competition, patsy pawns taking raps trying to protect the boss man, snitches in jail testifying to reduce their own sentences, recorded murder threats as retaliation for some of the above transgressions, under cover agents wearing wires and transmitters, hidden camera video, money trails, questionable evidence from questionable warrants we were supposed to scratch from our minds, car switching and lost tails, all culminating in a giant SWAT and DEA arrest raid complete with grenades and overwhelming fire power to take this guy into custody. Saw with my own eyes bricks of pure cocaine worth three hundred thousand dollars a piece. The whole shabang. Was better than an episode of CSI.

After all that trail, evidence, cross examination and whatnot, because this particular boss was so very careful with his steps, we deliberated for an entire extra day to coalesce and understand enough connections to overcome our reasonable doubts to find him guilty, and after delivering this verdict, then we moved into the "punishment" phase of the trial.

After the punishment testimony was done, again we deliberated for the last part of yesterday, and the entire day today, being hung up by one juror who wanted to give him the lightest sentence possible... 15 years... and others who wanted the maximum... life. We poured over the evidence again and again trying to decide if he was yet another guilty pawn set-up as patsy or truly THE true bossman himself after all, and just as we were literally signing our verdict... literally minutes away from handing it out to the judge... The guy, obviously worried he would do worse with our verdict than pleading guilty himself, changed his plea to guilty in a deal with the DEA and prosecutors, and we were thanked and excused. Had he waited just a couple more minutes, he would have spent the rest of his natural life in jail... but instead he got twenty five years... less than the sentence his pawns are serving who were busted, some who coped pleas to testify against him, and some who kept their mouths shut and took the fall to protect him.

All in all, I gotta say it restored my faith in juries. I always pictured a bunch of unemployed shlubs in a hurry to deal out a verdict so they could get home to see the next installment of American Idol. Instead, everyone in that room took their duty seriously, and tried their best to understand the evidence, piece together in their mind the charge, and render justice they could sleep with.

Whew. I'm exhausted.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Well, I had an exciting last couple weeks. new [Re: GatKong]
#278449 - 03/08/12 02:59 AM

> All in all, I gotta say it restored my faith in juries. I always pictured a bunch of
> unemployed shlubs in a hurry to deal out a verdict so they could get home to see the
> next installment of American Idol. Instead, everyone in that room took their duty
> seriously, and tried their best to understand the evidence, piece together in their
> mind the charge, and render justice they could sleep with.
>
> Whew. I'm exhausted.

Having spent three months on the county's Grand Jury (does... this one... go to trial?), and having also spent a day or two in a courtroom, I'd say the people that are "in a hurry to deal out a verdict so they could get home" are the professionals.

Too bad you didn't get to turn in that sentence.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#278455 - 03/08/12 03:35 AM

I have to report for jury service starting Thursday next week. It'll be my second time. Last time I got an armed robbery case where the defendant obviously hadn't done it but the cops just wanted a conviction. Deliberated for all of two minutes.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Well, I had an exciting last couple weeks. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#278457 - 03/08/12 04:25 AM

> Too bad you didn't get to turn in that sentence.

I'm glad he didn't turn in that sentence.

Drug lords don't just take revenge on the prosecutors... they go after jurors too.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#278459 - 03/08/12 04:39 AM

I've been on two trials so far. Lately, I seem to end up on a jury every time I go. I used to dread it, but now I actually kind of enjoy it. It's a few days or a week where your only responsibility is to sit and observe, all of the problems you hear about are ultimately someone else's.

I've been on a rape trial and a medical malpractice trial, but nothing as major or as interesting as yours. It's too bad you didn't get to see it all the way through. It seems weird that he could still plead guilty after he'd already been found guilty. I guess the prosecutor was worried you guys would go easy on him?

> All in all, I gotta say it restored my faith in juries. I always pictured a bunch of
> unemployed shlubs in a hurry to deal out a verdict so they could get home to see the
> next installment of American Idol. Instead, everyone in that room took their duty
> seriously, and tried their best to understand the evidence, piece together in their
> mind the charge, and render justice they could sleep with.

This has been my experience as well, which I why I always jump in to defend the jury system against Internet blowhards who have obviously never served. I think the jury selection process usually weeds out the majority of the bozos, so the people who are left are generally intelligent and serious. In both cases, I was 100% satisfied that we reached the correct verdict.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Well, I had an exciting last couple weeks. new [Re: Foxhack]
#278460 - 03/08/12 04:51 AM

> Drug lords don't just take revenge on the prosecutors... they go after jurors too.

I'd say this is pretty rare in the US. I've heard of cases of jury tampering and intimidation during the trial, but I don't think I've ever heard of a juror getting killed after the fact for rendering a verdict. I'm sure it's happened somewhere, but it's definitely not common.

Having said that, I was pretty freaked out in the criminal trial I served on when, just before the verdict was read, about a dozen bailiffs marched into the courtroom and pretty much assumed football poses. It was mostly just a precaution, but I guess there are occasional emotional and/or violent outbursts when the verdict is read.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#278464 - 03/08/12 05:05 AM

> > Too bad you didn't get to turn in that sentence.
>
> I'm glad he didn't turn in that sentence.
>
> Drug lords don't just take revenge on the prosecutors... they go after jurors too.

You from Mexico or Japan?

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#278472 - 03/08/12 06:47 AM

Quote:

... they go after jurors too.

That was my first thought as well. It's a crazy story for sure, and not to take anything away from Gat, but should he be spilling all these details?

Personally I would have told very few about the details of the case, but maybe I'm paranoid.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Well, I had an exciting last couple weeks. new [Re: italie]
#278487 - 03/08/12 03:49 PM

> > > Too bad you didn't get to turn in that sentence.
> >
> > I'm glad he didn't turn in that sentence.
> >
> > Drug lords don't just take revenge on the prosecutors... they go after jurors too.
>
> You from Mexico or Japan?

Mexico.

Cops and prosecutors get murdered here on a regular basis. We don't have a jury-based trial system, but considering they kill anyone involved...

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#278498 - 03/08/12 06:01 PM

> Mexico.
>
> Cops and prosecutors get murdered here on a regular basis. We don't have a jury-based
> trial system, but considering they kill anyone involved...

I know what you're saying about Mexico is true.

As far as this situation, I'm a pretty careful (paranoid?) person myself, but during this trial, during breaks, the jury and the defendant would stand around outside the same doorway smoking... we'd ride up and down the elevator with him, his family, his visitors regularly... if they wanted to know who any of us are they know. I did at one point say to the judge's secretary that isn't it strange some members of the jury and the defendant are both smoking outside the same door together, and her reply to me was "They aren't talking about the case are they?" And since no one was talking about it, they were cool with that.

At one point we were released for the day, and as we all went out, so too was his wife and visitors... and I, being the careful one, hung back until they drove away, but the other members of the jury walked out to their respective cars with them and drove away simultaneously with them. They had plenty of opportunity to identify us, our cars, where we go, mess with any one of us during the whole process, and never did.

I guess here in the States, while we have crime of course, we don't have the level of corruption and trial interferance you have there.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

#278506 - 03/08/12 09:01 PM

I was in a pool for a federal trial concerning a murder and assault on a reservation. While the questioning of jurors went on, I was in the reserve/reserver group that was only pulled up in the event a primary or alternate juror was not able to fit their ideal. Ultimately, I was excused with out any need of me being there.

Interesting process, but can see where these things take so long.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#278508 - 03/08/12 09:31 PM

> I guess here in the States, while we have crime of course, we don't have the level of
> corruption and trial interferance you have there.

Corruption in America exists, it's just nothing like the one we have down here. Watch Law and Order sometime.

Anyway. I know we don't talk much other than on this forum but I'm glad you got out of that fine.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#278512 - 03/08/12 10:40 PM

The summer before I entered high school there was a murder at a park near my house. A high school aged boy was murdered because he wouldn't hand over his baseball cap to some tough guys who claimed to be gangsters. I grew up in the suburbs and gangs weren't really a problem, mostly just wannabe gangster punks from the local schools would fight from time to time.

A week before the trial one of the star witnesses, the victim's older brother was also killed in a car accident (it was later discovered the brake lines were cut), and then there had to be a retrial after one of the jurors went missing and was also found dead a week or so later.

Just be careful

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

#278517 - 03/08/12 11:22 PM

I thought Law and Order was good until it became a far left wing nutcase writer's wet dream of America. I can't imagine taking that "entertainment" as serious any more than believe "reality" TV is any more "Real" than wrestling.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1431