MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

This is the thrid Idea I've seen this week that I'd thought of years before...
#278183 - 03/05/12 05:36 AM

http://intuit-gopayment.com/free?cid=ppc...0120305033436:s

Seriously gotta start acting on these sooner.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: This is the thrid Idea I've seen this week that I'd thought of years before... new [Re: italie]
#278184 - 03/05/12 05:47 AM

> http://intuit-gopayment.com/free?cid=ppc...tO41r4LE4AAEXOs
>
> Seriously gotta start acting on these sooner.

I don't think that's even the first one, I'm pretty sure I saw something similar in use circa the first iPhone.

The smartphone app market is so saturated these days, my thought is that you just have to follow Apple's example - you don't need to be first, you just have to do it better than everyone else.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: This is the thrid Idea I've seen this week that I'd thought of years before... new [Re: DMala]
#278187 - 03/05/12 06:20 AM

> >
> http://intuit-gopayment.com/free?cid=ppc...tO41r4LE4AAEXOs
> >
> > Seriously gotta start acting on these sooner.
>
> I don't think that's even the first one, I'm pretty sure I saw something similar in
> use circa the first iPhone.
>
> The smartphone app market is so saturated these days, my thought is that you just
> have to follow Apple's example - you don't need to be first, you just have to do it
> better than everyone else.

Completely agree on the copycat thing. The first iterations of something are never quite right, and app users are generally a finicky bunch.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: This is the thrid Idea I've seen this week that I'd thought of years before... new [Re: DMala]
#278189 - 03/05/12 06:52 AM

I think this is the first one https://squareup.com

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: This is the thrid Idea I've seen this week that I'd thought of years before... new [Re: URherenow]
#278193 - 03/05/12 07:22 AM

> I think this is the first one https://squareup.com

I think there were a few "less accepted" models before that too. Every time I see one though it's a brutal reminder of yet another bus I missed. I don't feel as bad about this one though, as I actually had discussions with the only big time(at the time) cellular banking / money transfer service. (Even paypal hadn't jumped aboard that train yet). I remember the conversation heading to a "No way we are putting card readers into the general public's hands" territory. The main three worries were overhead and cost with routing transactions over wireless carriers, security, and the potential for easy spoofing of cards. I'd say that 2 of the three are still somewhat of a concern.

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Loc: Area 51 Nevada
Send PM

Re: This is the thrid Idea I've seen this week that I'd thought of years before... new [Re: italie]
#278195 - 03/05/12 07:50 AM

> > I think this is the first one https://squareup.com
>
> I think there were a few "less accepted" models before that too. Every time I see one
> though it's a brutal reminder of yet another bus I missed. I don't feel as bad about
> this one though, as I actually had discussions with the only big time(at the time)
> cellular banking / money transfer service. (Even paypal hadn't jumped aboard that
> train yet). I remember the conversation heading to a "No way we are putting card
> readers into the general public's hands" territory. The main three worries were
> overhead and cost with routing transactions over wireless carriers, security, and the
> potential for easy spoofing of cards. I'd say that 2 of the three are still somewhat
> of a concern.

I'm still on a Nurit wireless terminal, it was the tech back in '05. And at 29.95/mo. for just the wireless service, I could really use something like this Intuit thing...

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#278231 - 03/05/12 06:22 PM

overhead costs? But the user of the device is responsible for his carrier's costs... dunno why that would be a concern of any business (since they all pretty much accept online payments anyway) that would be taking 2.7% of the swipe amount

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: This is the thrid Idea I've seen this week that I'd thought of years before... new [Re: URherenow]
#278237 - 03/05/12 08:01 PM

> overhead costs? But the user of the device is responsible for his carrier's costs...
> dunno why that would be a concern of any business (since they all pretty much accept
> online payments anyway) that would be taking 2.7% of the swipe amount

The end provider would be relying on cellular companies to provide a safe, efficient, secure, and reliable link between them and the end user at an arbitrary rate. This creates a bevy of ancillary "must haves" that won't come cheap and not many cellular providers wanted to deal with at the time.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1072