Pages: 1

MrHotBuns
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/03/12
Send PM

Gamepad button not working
#278059 - 03/03/12 10:27 PM

Hello,

I recently bought an arcade machine running MALA, MAME and NES, SNES and Genesis emulators. I've been configuring controls for the various systems, the only problem I'm having is I'm not able to assign anything to the lower right button of the gamepad, this goes for both Player 1 and Player 2. I don't think it's broken, does anyone know why I'm unable to use this button? Sorry, I don't know much about how it was built, but I've included images of the inner workings. I'm very new to this, so thanks for your patience.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Gamepad button not working new [Re: MrHotBuns]
#278111 - 03/04/12 01:23 PM

> Hello,
>
> I recently bought an arcade machine running MALA, MAME and NES, SNES and Genesis
> emulators. I've been configuring controls for the various systems, the only problem
> I'm having is I'm not able to assign anything to the lower right button of the
> gamepad, this goes for both Player 1 and Player 2. I don't think it's broken, does
> anyone know why I'm unable to use this button? Sorry, I don't know much about how it
> was built, but I've included images of the inner workings. I'm very new to this, so
> thanks for your patience.

Check to see if the buttons are properly wired up and they haven't become lose of broken. Also, unlikly, but you might find the PSX>Usb might not like them for whatever strange reason.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

MrHotBuns
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Gamepad button not working new [Re: Naoki]
#278175 - 03/05/12 03:19 AM

As far as I can tell everything is wired properly, there's no obvious damage or broken wires. Is it possible that it's a software issue?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#278179 - 03/05/12 03:55 AM

> As far as I can tell everything is wired properly, there's no obvious damage or
> broken wires. Is it possible that it's a software issue?

Is the control panel hooked up to that Play Station controller to USB adapter?

Try opening the game controllers control panel in Windows and see if it reacts when you press the buttons that aren't working.

A quick way to test for wiring problems would be to plug in two regular Play Station controllers. If all the buttons work (on the Play Station controllers obviously) then it's a wiring problem. Damn I feel clever.

Note that some brands of two-player Play Station to USB adapters will only work properly when you have two controllers plugged in at the same time.

S

MrHotBuns
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Gamepad button not working new [Re: Sune]
#278424 - 03/07/12 08:37 PM

Thanks for the tip, I opened the controller control panel and the two buttons are unresponsive, so is this a wiring issue for sure then?

bodger319
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/23/06
Send PM

#278426 - 03/07/12 08:43 PM

> Thanks for the tip, I opened the controller control panel and the two buttons are
> unresponsive, so is this a wiring issue for sure then?

Not for certain but it definately looks more like a hardware problem than a software one.
As two buttons are affected, check to see if they have a common earth connection.

Mark

MrHotBuns
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Gamepad button not working new [Re: bodger319]
#278435 - 03/07/12 11:19 PM

Actually, those two buttons don't seem to be grounded from what I can tell, they have wires attached with crimps, but they don't seem to connect to the rest of the daisy chain.

This is probably beyond my skills to fix, the tutorial's I've found online all use an I-Pac, which mine doesn't seem to have. The wires look like they end up here (see photo).

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#278466 - 03/08/12 05:06 AM

> Actually, those two buttons don't seem to be grounded from what I can tell, they have
> wires attached with crimps, but they don't seem to connect to the rest of the daisy
> chain.
>
> This is probably beyond my skills to fix, the tutorial's I've found online all use an
> I-Pac, which mine doesn't seem to have. The wires look like they end up here (see
> photo).

Attach it to any other ground. Twist it around if you can't solder. Ground is ground (in this case).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2991