MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

It's really true, no one is ever happy...
#277929 - 03/01/12 08:54 PM

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bonus-withdrawal-puts-bankers-malaise-050100338.html

$350,000 a year would literally solve all of my problems, and this guy is crying about how he's going to make ends meet.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: It's really true, no one is ever happy... new [Re: DMala]
#277930 - 03/01/12 09:04 PM

> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bonus-withdrawal-puts-bankers-malaise-050100338.html
>
> $350,000 a year would literally solve all of my problems, and this guy is crying
> about how he's going to make ends meet.

You'd probably just create more expensive problems.
“We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money.” - Patrick Ewing

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: It's really true, no one is ever happy... new [Re: Gor]
#277931 - 03/01/12 09:43 PM

Quote:

You'd probably just create more expensive problems.

I just thinking about how many quality full-body latex catsuits that can buy. :-)

Or rather how much sheet latex I can buy to make my own. ;-)

Not to mention the gloves, stockings, etc...

I was also thinking about Johnny Carson's divorce. What was it? $12 million which was half of his worth? He still had $12 million or so (it's been awhile, I'm on my way out the door and someone else can look up the numbers).

How many of us have $12 million just lying around? I don't. Do you?

And how much money did Sarah Palin pay for her wardrobe during her campaign in 2008? Sure I buy clothes but my budget is significantly less than her's.

I make less than that guy. I don't complain. Aside from my kinks I'm quite frugal.

But bankers, of all people? And they got bailed out with my money!

I don't get it.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: It's really true, no one is ever happy... new [Re: Gor]
#277939 - 03/02/12 02:04 AM

Living beyond your means is not reserved for only people who dont have money...

It is not only *easy* to do so. In many ways our economy encourages it. Can not tell you the number of people who I know who were telling me I was stupid to pay off my house so I could 'get the deduction'. It is amazing the number of people (even bankers) who do not do the math...

Lets say for example you buy a high end car (what someone who makes 350k would do). He would make about 192k after taxes. Lets say it costs you 1200 a month (not out of reach for say a basic 7 series bmw) You are spending 24k a year just on payments. Then insurance 4-5k a year. Then gas another 60 bucks a week. You are looking at 33k per year for 5 years. That is nearly 10% of his gross. Then most people seem to follow the 30% rule when financing a house. Or about 100k a year for this fellow. Oh and the wife should have a nice car too. Now your up to ~60k. That is just 160k and not even accounting in other things... Such as the home owners insurance, car ins, private school, home association fees, taxes, etc etc etc... Even without the 'extra' stuff he is down to 30k to pay for everything else.

So yeah you can outspend yourself if you just follow the 'basic rules of thumb' most financial people seem to set out.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: It's really true, no one is ever happy... new [Re: lharms]
#277940 - 03/02/12 02:19 AM

Quote:

So yeah you can outspend yourself if you just follow the 'basic rules of thumb' most financial people seem to set out.

Then there's the other discretionary expenses which are kept off the books lest a significant other finds out. Use your imagination.

Spitzer style, baby!

Who knows what secrets lie between those santorum-stained sheets...

...of the Accounting Ledger! ;-)

Sounds like a new television show. LOL!

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: It's really true, no one is ever happy... new [Re: DMala]
#277945 - 03/02/12 02:55 AM

> $350,000 a year would literally solve all of my problems, and this guy is crying
> about how he's going to make ends meet.

I make that much - it just replaces one set of problems with another.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

It's simpler than that.... new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#277963 - 03/02/12 05:47 AM

Capitalism has no concern for the well-being of its constituents; it has no true self-check.

And by and large people need some set of restrictive guidelines to keep them in check.

@Bekki: I know people who would like you. Got a public dungeon here an everything.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: It's really true, no one is ever happy... new [Re: lharms]
#277966 - 03/02/12 05:59 AM

> Can not tell
> you the number of people who I know who were telling me I was stupid to pay off my
> house so I could 'get the deduction'. It is amazing the number of people (even
> bankers) who do not do the math

The whole deducting the mortgage interest thing is a joke. Some people actually think they get all of their mortgage interest back in their tax refund.

You pay roughly DOUBLE for an average house at the end of 30 years with a mortgage. So by paying cash for a $200K house, you instantly save yourself $200K.

I've seen people argue that you could make more money in the end by getting the mortgage and investing your money for 30 years instead. However, to come out ahead, you have to be able to invest in something that consistently has a return better than your mortgage interest rate. In the current environment, investment returns are pretty shitty and far from consistent. A few years ago, you'd be lucky to get positive returns at all.

Personally, I'd rather take the guaranteed savings by not having a mortgage at all.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1206