Pages: 1

twinbee
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/24/12
Send PM

What is this arcade game?
#277169 - 02/24/12 09:24 PM

Hi all,

My first post here. I've been hunting for an arcade game I played around 20 years ago. I'd love to find the name of it, since seeing it again would really bring back memories.

Here's my best description I can think of.

It was a 3D first-person perspective space shooter. Think of the star-wars corridor section, as it was a lot like that. It may have been a laserdisc game, as the graphics seemed quite good for the time.

The 'corridor' was split I think into maybe 3 (?) lanes, and you could move between the left, middle or right track.

Along the corridor came an assortment of enemies including the only one I can remember - these 'hopper' things. They were presumably hopping robots, and they came towards you in 3D (it was all 3D).

Any ideas?

Edited by twinbee (02/24/12 09:26 PM)

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: What is this arcade game? new [Re: twinbee]
#277173 - 02/24/12 10:50 PM

Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom
...Just maybe...

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: What is this arcade game? new [Re: twinbee]
#277174 - 02/24/12 11:00 PM

if its laserdisc, try clicking the dropdown games menu at the link below and checking through the list:

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: What is this arcade game? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#277175 - 02/24/12 11:01 PM

> Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom
> ...Just maybe...

Agreed.

- Stiletto

twinbee
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What is this arcade game? new [Re: Stiletto]
#277186 - 02/25/12 12:23 AM

Wow, thanks guys. I think this may very well be the one!

I presume that's the arcade version?

I have to say, after all these years, I think I expected something a little more. Back then, those 'hoppers' somehow seemed much more dramatic and gigantic than shown in the video. Haha, rose tinted specs are off now

I also thought the corridor section took up most of the game (though yeah, now after seeing the video, I seem to remember parts outside the corridor). And my laserdisc and 3 lane theory is obviously mistaken.

grog
Send PM

moon patrol new [Re: twinbee]
#277189 - 02/25/12 12:59 AM

its funny how games change from how you remember them. i remember when i first saw a moon patrol cabinet in the corner of some dark club back in the early eighties. i was aged about 9 years old. i thought the game/graphics were amazing looking, with the mysterious lonely giant mountains in the far background, the endless dark night sky.. and the spooky ufo's circling up above ("what mysterious aliens are flying them?"... i would think to myself with wonder....)

now that im grown up though.. im more like... "yeah... whatever .... who cares" lol

twinbee
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: moon patrol new [Re: grog]
#277213 - 02/25/12 05:42 AM

Yeah, it often makes me wonder what it would take for a game today to have the same effect on me as those old games did. I think it may be possible, but it would have to have completely, utterly incredible graphics (maybe slightly surreal, and probably globally illuminated for a better than raytracing look), and amazing music, and more old school playability of course

One can but dream...

Recently saw Interstellar Laser Fantasy, and that was a blast from the past (especially that cool wireframe/'spider web' section). And the graphics, being laserdisc aren't all that bad!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: moon patrol new [Re: twinbee]
#277216 - 02/25/12 06:12 AM

> Yeah, it often makes me wonder what it would take for a game today to have the same
> effect on me as those old games did.

My mind was recently blown by Portal. Completely unlike anything I've ever played before. If you've never played it, check it out. I downloaded it a few months back when it was free on Steam and I played it non-stop for six hours until I finished it. If I didn't have to work the next day, I probably would have played through it again.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

grog
Send PM

Re: new [Re: krick]
#277221 - 02/25/12 07:19 AM

i think the last game for me which really got those old feelings back of just really lovin a game as u play it, was up until a few years back playing worms armageddon online against others around the world. i literally played that game every night for about 4 years i'd say.

ps. i will check out portal

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: moon patrol new [Re: krick]
#277287 - 02/26/12 07:21 AM

> > Yeah, it often makes me wonder what it would take for a game today to have the same
> > effect on me as those old games did.
>
> My mind was recently blown by Portal. Completely unlike anything I've ever played
> before. If you've never played it, check it out. I downloaded it a few months back
> when it was free on Steam and I played it non-stop for six hours until I finished it.
> If I didn't have to work the next day, I probably would have played through it again.

Now that that's done, you need to go get Portal 2 to keep the fun going.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 486 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2156