MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

We're changing our privacy policy and terms: this stuff matters.
#276651 - 02/20/12 04:40 PM

Now we'll be tricking your web-browser into disabling its privacy features so we can better track what you're up to when you think we're not.

You're a naughty naughty surfer.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: We're changing our privacy policy and terms: this stuff matters. new [Re: GatKong]
#276654 - 02/20/12 05:15 PM

I don't know why Google bothered with all that when they can just use Evercookie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evercookie

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

And that's why I don't use Chrome new [Re: krick]
#276677 - 02/20/12 06:16 PM

> I don't know why Google bothered with all that when they can just use Evercookie...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evercookie

Google is a good services provider, but we're giving them too much power. Why do I need to share my privacy to a huge database that someday (and somehow) will end up in U.S. Government hands? Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and basically anything you need to log on in order to view content are unnecessary tracking sites (well, not Twitter but you get the idea).

Not that my privacy is relevant to any huge corporation, mind you. But precisely for that reason there's not need for me to share that data to a paranoiac government. If I have to uninstall Java, run privacy plug-ins on Firefox till my system collapses and run adult sites on virtual machines they will reset every time I shut them down, then so be it.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: And that's why I don't use Chrome new [Re: BIOS-D]
#276701 - 02/20/12 09:41 PM

> Google is a good services provider, but we're giving them too much power. Why do I
> need to share my privacy to a huge database that someday (and somehow) will end up in
> U.S. Government hands? Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and basically anything you need to
> log on in order to view content are unnecessary tracking sites (well, not Twitter but
> you get the idea).
>
> Not that my privacy is relevant to any huge corporation, mind you. But precisely for
> that reason there's not need for me to share that data to a paranoiac government. If
> I have to uninstall Java, run privacy plug-ins on Firefox till my system collapses
> and run adult sites on virtual machines they will reset every time I shut them down,
> then so be it.

I doubt it. Anonymous is confirmation that things like William Gibson and Bruce Sterling prophecied, are coming to pass. This country is heading curiously down the road as shown in Sterling's DISTRACTION.

If you want even weirder, look up Vernor Vinge's RAINBOW'S END. Not great literature, but very techno-socially keen.

Not that I visit any of those sites, dear god. And I can't stand the interleaved tabs on Chrome, so I don't use that. The little things, eh?

(Hell, I don't even have Adobe anything, or even Java, on my system, and I do everything I need, wherever, just fine.)

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: And that's why I don't use Chrome new [Re: mogli]
#276751 - 02/21/12 06:19 AM

> > Google is a good services provider, but we're giving them too much power. Why do I
> > need to share my privacy to a huge database that someday (and somehow) will end up
> in
> > U.S. Government hands? Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and basically anything you need
> to
> > log on in order to view content are unnecessary tracking sites (well, not Twitter
> but
> > you get the idea).
> >
> > Not that my privacy is relevant to any huge corporation, mind you. But precisely
> for
> > that reason there's not need for me to share that data to a paranoiac government.
> If
> > I have to uninstall Java, run privacy plug-ins on Firefox till my system collapses
> > and run adult sites on virtual machines they will reset every time I shut them
> down,
> > then so be it.
>
>
> I doubt it. Anonymous is confirmation that things like William Gibson and Bruce
> Sterling prophecied, are coming to pass. This country is heading curiously down the
> road as shown in Sterling's DISTRACTION.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out. Everything Anonymous is doing is red rage to a bull to the FBI, police, governments, etc. They (the FBI, police, governments, etc) wont and can't take this lying down, and they are be going to try and add more controls to the net to try and stamp out all behaviour they see as undesirable.

If they (the FBI, police, governments, etc) win this battle, the net will become an increasingly controlled environment - controlled by governments and corporations, and even more fun and freedom will have been sucked out of the world.

If they (the FBI, police, governments, etc) lose, then they will have wasted billions of tax payer dollars.

It sure will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Moose

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#277279 - 02/26/12 05:19 AM

Quote:

...share my privacy...

That's oxymoronic because privacy isn't meant to be shared otherwise others will know what is supposed to be private.

I'm more concerned about how big flash drive capacities are getting and how they're easy to lose. You'd think that more people would be encrypting them with TrueCrypt. And how about portable hard drives for that matter? Anyone can walk out with over a few terabytes of stuff!

The sad fact is that the average person knows nothing about how their security can be compromised online and how much of their information gets leaked time and time again. I recently found out my dad's Yahoo! account got hacked and I had to teach him how to create and use secure passwords. I think of my dad and know that there are thousands out there just like him.

Even worse, the major corporations (Google, Micro$quish, Apple, etc.) have no incentive to give users the tools and knowledge to lock down their devices. It's as if it's all buried or marked as "only for tech geeks". And this is basic computer stuff!

Sadly, in my dad's case, I have done what I could to show him where I get my computer know-how from (been doing this since '84 on x86). I have my books and took the time to educate myself. Today it seems like most people who get hacked don't want to learn how to avoid the problems and take action to not just prevent the hacking but also to ensure what data is precious is baked up. And a "cloud" is simply vapor.

People think I'm a computing genius. I'm not. I just have the years and mileage. Now and then I code a program or use tools to make information access easier for everyone. Let's just say that I think like a hacker and see how systems can be exploited by examining for weak points. It's that ignorance concerning our little hobby that the outside world exudes in wanting to appear "trendy".

It's nothing until you see the end result of a close one's hacked account and have to break the news immediately and let them know how serious the problem is. And my frustration is when that person doesn't want to learn further in how their own hardware and software works and just sees it all as just a mere appliance. That apathy is the very reason why a TON of hardware out there is infected and breached daily.

Again, I can only do so much. I can't spoonfeed anyone 24/7. Eventually they have to learn to feed themselves or get fed upon. To me it's the ultimate insult when that person with the hacked account refuses to read up on how to prevent those breaches again. Very frustrating. But I've done what I could do. They're free to fail as well as to succeed. Only in this case it's as if they want the hackers' to win again and again and blame others just to stoke that chronic victimhood.

I just hope one day my dad starts reading those books in which I've placed bookmarks on the sections to read first so that he can learn from his mistakes. Since he stores everything on Yahoo! and is clueless on how to use his flash drive (again, provided by me) he has to learn. And I don't want him to get hacked again.

Again, I think that there are industries that profit from people like my dad. And that just pisses me off since I know what's going on and, despite my vocabulary and skills in general, I feel as though I am merely one sane voice of reason but he doesn't want to do the right thing and look through my window.

If there was a perfect world people would learn to digitally sign their messages, know how to anonymize their connections, secure their browsers, use on-the-fly crypto, etc. The tools are there. But the masses just don't care to educate themselves.

Apathy and Ignorance: Those are my two prime enemies.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#277288 - 02/26/12 07:26 AM

> Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and basically anything you need to
> log on in order to view content are unnecessary tracking sites (well, not Twitter but
> you get the idea).

... actually, Twitter tracks your location data.

https://support.twitter.com/articles/78525-about-the-tweet-location-feature

It's opt-in, but they probably keep tabs on it.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: We're changing our privacy policy and terms: this stuff matters. new [Re: GatKong]
#277291 - 02/26/12 08:05 AM

> Now we'll be tricking your web-browser into disabling its privacy features so we can
> better track what you're up to when you think we're not.
>
> You're a naughty naughty surfer.

Hello Gatinho, we have recommendations for you.

Because you researched for days and bought an excellent pair of headphones that you look forward to enjoying for many years, we think that you might be interested in buying some of these 700 other pairs of headphones.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1412