MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

That's it. I'm getting a gun and killing everyone.
#276054 - 02/15/12 01:18 AM

"WHY?!" you ask?

Mother was recently visiting a friend, friend's kid got her to play 'Viva Pinata' on the Xbox. She loved it.

I buy a copy for her PC. (Since she doesn't have an Xbox.)

Turns out you need a Windows Live login to be able to save your fucking games. Good lord. So we set one of those up. No thank you, I would NOT like to read the Gmail account that I just set up on Hotmail, thanks for asking though.

Then I spent over an hour trying to install a Microsoft 'Games for Windows' game on a Microsoft Windows machine. A game that's marked as fully compatible for both 32-bit AND 64-bit Windows 7, so surely for fucking GOD it'll run on the 32-bit version, right? Right?

WRONG, SIR! WRONG!!!

It installs but tells you that you have to log into your Live account to enable game saves. To login now just hit the [HOME] key.

[HOME] key hit, nothing happens. Run as administrator and hit [HOME] key, nothing happens. Look online, tons of people hitting the fucking [HOME] key, tons of people getting nothing to happen. Lots of technical voodoo attempted in the CMD line, nothing happens. Trying shit that a "normal" user would be horrified to try, nothing happens.

I'd go into another 'FUCK MIRCOSOFT' rant but frankly I'm too exhausted. I'd actually be amused if I wasn't so pissed off. She REALLY wanted to play that game so now I've got to figure it out. Rage.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: That's it. I'm getting a gun and killing everyone. new [Re: aavada]
#276060 - 02/15/12 02:03 AM

I'm really wondering (and maybe secretly hoping) if we're headed for another video game crash.

Maybe it's my age, but I'm so disgusted with the direction that gaming has gone. Yeah I know that we live in a different time, and video game companies are making so much money with their current models, but I feel like we've lost our way.

Paying more to unlock features or get things that make the game easier, games that are marked as "free" (I'm looking at you Apple) and then plaguing the game with in-screen ads or additional charges, (yes I know this can be compared to shareware titles from the 90's) or like in this instance, having to create an online account just to get the game to play. I bought Street Fighter 4 for PC...I was psyched that Capcom was releasing it for PC...but I too had to sign up for a damn Windows Live account just to play the game. I've never even WANTED to play against online opponents and have yet to EVER use my Windows Live account. Bioshock also made me use my Windows Live account.

Also the online communities IMO are terrible. So much racist and homophobic remarks from kids and adults alike have me hating my fellow gamer.

I know there are exceptions to my blanket statements....but I feel fortunate enough to have been alive at the time video games were born, and I've personally watched games go from 2 rectangular "paddles" and a "ball" (that was square) bouncing around, to iconic video game characters (Pac Man, Mario, Sonic, et al.) to the amazing processing and graphical power of modern consoles....and it all just seems wasted on corporate greed and a generation that feels entitled to everything.

Wow....I'm really showing my age with that last sentence.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: That's it. I'm getting a gun and killing everyone. new [Re: Hizzout]
#276076 - 02/15/12 04:33 AM

heh... that's why you buy the games to cover your ass, but also pirate the damn things anyway because you don't have to deal with that shit on the cracked copies!

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Breetai
Semi-Lurker "full time drinker"
Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: Omaha
Send PM

#276077 - 02/15/12 04:48 AM Attachment: bill-gates-evil.jpg 35 KB (1 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

#276151 - 02/15/12 10:41 PM

ran into the same shit awhile back, i forget which game...

i was enraged just like you are.

i learned everything i know from KC

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: That's it. I'm getting a gun and killing everyone. new [Re: URherenow]
#276164 - 02/15/12 11:53 PM

I realized in my rant that video game companies have always been about the mighty dollar. Even in the glory arcade days, if you had more quarters, you could see more of the game....

It's just that the way it's done now just feels......."scummy" to me.

I don't own any moden consoles, and my PC is so outdated there is no way I could play any of the modern PC titles.

However I'm having so much fun with indie titles. Just like with any video games, there are some really crappy indie games, but there are also TONS of really good games for free, or for cheap that are made by people that just want others to enjoy their game...flashy graphics or otherwise.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#276181 - 02/16/12 01:50 AM

Make an "offline account", like you would if playing a pirated copy. Not that I know anything about that.

Here's a video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulVRWweWbp0

It's gotten so shitty now that even some games you buy on Steam require a Windows Live account.

S

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Finally got it working. Uninstalled the same day. new [Re: Sune]
#276183 - 02/16/12 02:11 AM Attachment: my two cents.jpg 360 KB (1 downloads)

I had to download and install their marketplace, configure it and THEN run the game that I'd installed from DVD. Even when it is set up starting a game requires screen after screen after screen. Every time.

Controls are HORRIBLY ported from the Xbox. It made me want to punch the monitor. She doesn't want to play with a game controller so that's right out.

She gave it a valiant effort for a while before she gave up completely. She was having ZERO fun with it, the thing was pure aggravation. After all that trouble the game was unplayable with a mouse and keyboard. Unreal.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Finally got it working. Uninstalled the same day. new [Re: aavada]
#276184 - 02/16/12 02:18 AM

> I had to download and install their marketplace, configure it and THEN run the game
> that I'd installed from DVD. Even when it is set up starting a game requires screen
> after screen after screen. Every time.
>
> Controls are HORRIBLY ported from the Xbox. It made me want to punch the monitor. She
> doesn't want to play with a game controller so that's right out.
>
> She gave it a valiant effort for a while before she gave up completely. She was
> having ZERO fun with it, the thing was pure aggravation. After all that trouble the
> game was unplayable with a mouse and keyboard. Unreal.

I guess instead of Viva Piñata, it should be Muera Piñata.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

#276217 - 02/16/12 07:20 AM

That's one of the many reasons why I only play NES, SNES, Genesis, and Arcade/MAME. In my opinion, those games are so much more FUN than modern day games. IMO, the only thing that is better with modern day games is the graphics and the ability to play online... but that's it!

I was watching my younger brother play one of the new Star War pc games and I looked at the clock and it took 30 friggin minutes for him to see any action. He was roaming around following the mission goals or whatever. It was rediculous.

The only thing that I think is cool and that I know I would like regarding modern games, is the war shooting games, such as the Call of Duties and Medal of Honor type of games. Madden is good too. But that's it.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#276219 - 02/16/12 07:45 AM

I bought the Halo 2 for Vista or whatever the fuck it's called for my son who enjoys those games and it turns out you can't even install and play the bastard on windows 7.

What a bunch of bullshit and a fucking hell of a let down.
We were both excited when I took him to the retail store and we bought the game together.

Fucking ruined our day.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

That's it. My next PC is going Linux new [Re: aavada]
#276225 - 02/16/12 09:07 AM

...even if I have to read a 1200 page encyclopedia to figure out how to get a window to open or to view files when the GUI doesn't want to respond.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: That's it. I'm getting a gun and killing everyone. new [Re: Hizzout]
#276226 - 02/16/12 09:28 AM

That's the problem. Microsoft don't want "PC games" to exist, they want these to be "Games for Windows". That way, they can have both the console (Xbox) and PC markets.

The term "PC game" implies that a game might actually run on a non-Windows operating system like Linux, shock horror! Even worse for Microsoft, that game might even run on... a Mac!!!11onetwotwotwo

Bring it on, Open Source game devs.

BTW, that 'must sign up to Windows Live' reminds me exactly like Google with YouTube (where they block all former users who don't have/want a Google account). The world will never be the same if these two are allowed to merge, it would be like M.Bison and Shao Kahn forming a tag team while retaining reduced 'boss' damage, with both characters forming a 2-on-1 match where both characters are fighting you simultaneously.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 428 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1563