View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Free tool to split MP4 files
#275852 - 02/12/12 08:00 PM

I need a free tool to split MP4 video files taken with my phone without re-encoding them.

Does such a tool exist?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Free tool to split MP4 files new [Re: krick]
#275863 - 02/12/12 08:40 PM

FFmpeg? I'm pretty sure it can do that.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#275871 - 02/12/12 10:19 PM

Answering my own post...

My MP4Box GUI
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/My-MP4Box-GUI

This is a no-frills program that seems to do the trick.

Gemini
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

#276154 - 02/15/12 10:50 PM Attachment: avidemux254-screenshot.png 20 KB (0 downloads)

Even though you already answered your own question, I just wanted to say that I really like Avidemux for video editing.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: Free tool to split MP4 files new [Re: Gemini]
#276156 - 02/15/12 10:56 PM

I'm going to have to check it out.

The tool that I used has a weird side effect when splitting files. Sometimes, the first few seconds of the split file has crazy colors like the palette is messed up or something. I'm not sure what, exactly, is happening.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#276163 - 02/15/12 11:52 PM

> I'm going to have to check it out.
>
> The tool that I used has a weird side effect when splitting files. Sometimes, the
> first few seconds of the split file has crazy colors like the palette is messed up or
> something. I'm not sure what, exactly, is happening.

There are certain frames where the whole picture is stored - called keyframes. The rest of the frames only store difference between the previous and the current frame. When you split a stream between two keyframes, the first frame is missing the previous frame to render correctly, thus the weird colours and stuff until the stream finds its first keyframe which renders correctly.

Usually video editing programs have means to move between keyframes, or at least show that you're at one, so you can ensure that the first frame of your splitted vid is a keyframe.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

andagetil
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/16/15
Send PM

Re: Free tool to split MP4 files *DELETED* *DELETED* new [Re: krick]
#337757 - 03/16/15 11:39 AM

Post deleted by Stiletto

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

SPAM new [Re: andagetil]
#337766 - 03/16/15 10:37 PM

That's just spam, feel free to delete.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Free tool to split MP4 files new [Re: Pi]
#337804 - 03/18/15 01:15 AM

> > I'm going to have to check it out.
> >
> > The tool that I used has a weird side effect when splitting files. Sometimes, the
> > first few seconds of the split file has crazy colors like the palette is messed up
> or
> > something. I'm not sure what, exactly, is happening.
>
> There are certain frames where the whole picture is stored - called keyframes. The
> rest of the frames only store difference between the previous and the current frame.
> When you split a stream between two keyframes, the first frame is missing the
> previous frame to render correctly, thus the weird colours and stuff until the stream
> finds its first keyframe which renders correctly.
>
> Usually video editing programs have means to move between keyframes, or at least show
> that you're at one, so you can ensure that the first frame of your splitted vid is a
> keyframe.

If you are cutting the video between keyframes, it should be a fairly simple matter to roll back to the last keyframe and then construct a new keyframe (based on the data in all subsequent frames) and insert it into the current position - making the split frame a new key frame. It would mean that 2 keyframes are closer than normal together, but it should still play fine - and no ugly mess.

Moose

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Free tool to split MP4 files new [Re: Moose]
#337818 - 03/18/15 05:03 PM

> If you are cutting the video between keyframes, it should be a fairly simple matter
> to roll back to the last keyframe and then construct a new keyframe (based on the
> data in all subsequent frames) and insert it into the current position - making the
> split frame a new key frame. It would mean that 2 keyframes are closer than normal
> together, but it should still play fine - and no ugly mess.

For that you'd need to reencode, at least that part. I know of no tool which does that, because all of them offer either reencoding or lossless splitting (some both), but no "hybrid" mode. Also, a modern container like MKV can store encoding parameters to "redo" the encoding in the same way, but older like AVI don't, so how do you know how to encode it? You're trying to do lossless splitting without reencoding, but the application asks you for encoding parameters? Btw, for tools which only do lossless splitting, reencoding is not an option.

The idea sounds simple, but it has too many things to consider to be implemented as simple as it sounds.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Free tool to split MP4 files new [Re: Pi]
#337837 - 03/19/15 01:20 AM

Some shareware I used a lot during 2011 was really good at splitting most of the time:
SolveigMM Video Splitter (SVS), http://solveigmm.com/.

It handled key frames right (no ugly mess if you chopped between key frames, etc) and had frame perfect clipping - most of the time ....

I was mostly editing TS files from my PVR, AVI/MP4 files from digital cameras, and videos I'd converted with Handbrake, Xilisoft, or other tools.

One thing I liked about SVS was that it showed you the audio track below the video. So, you could see the places where there was silence, and this was where TV ads started and ended - great for when want to chop these out. (I hate TV ads and very rarely watch TV because of all the ads). Chop the ads out and I'm fine.

But using SVS was an exercise in bug hunting and reporting. And endless stream of bugs. An endless list of exceptions where video files would not be split right - key frames would not be handled right or it would roll back to a prior key frame (or the one prior to that) instead of cutting where you wanted it to. Sometimes an exception or 2 would be fixed in the new version, but then I'd discover that video files that worked fine with the old version would not be edited right with the new version.

They were laying patches on top of patches on top of patches. The old "squeezing a balloon full of water" problem .... you squeeze it in one place, and it pops out in another. And as time went by, each new version became less stable ... Crashing more frequently ... Their QA/QC was asleep at the wheel ....

I gave up in the end ... Maybe it's all fixed / OK now ?? I wont try it ... can't go through that again.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 832 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2182