MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

FMecha
MAME's (Armchair) Motorsports Consultant
Reged: 01/18/09
Send PM

MNG to a video format (maybe better at MAME chat...)
#275559 - 02/08/12 07:55 PM

Is it possible to turn a MNG animation (usually generated by MAME) to a video format (such as WMV or AVI)?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: MNG to a video format (maybe better at MAME chat...) new [Re: FMecha]
#275564 - 02/08/12 08:59 PM

I'm sure some video editors support doing that but I don't know why you would want to do that if they don't hold an audio track. You would be better off with uncompressed avi out, which most video editors support.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#275589 - 02/09/12 04:55 AM

FFmpeg seems to be able to convert anything to anything.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: MNG to a video format (maybe better at MAME chat...) new [Re: redk9258]
#291558 - 07/12/12 02:19 AM

FFMPEG is an awesome tool. And not just because it's a commandline app. :-)

Website / Wikipedia

I've used it to do some downmixing of 5.1 multichannel audio to Surround 2ch. It is a great piece of software that should be within any multimedia maven's toolbox.

I'll do an encode from .MNG to MPEG or an Xvid-encoded .AVI to see how it works. The .AVI files produced by the current MAME build are freakishly large since nothing gets compressed. That means I'll be consulting the dox to see how it's done. :-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: MNG to a video format (maybe better at MAME chat...) new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#291572 - 07/12/12 03:52 AM

I've used it to convert flv video files to DVD compliant MPEG. I then used Video ReDo TVS to build the DVD. It works great playing on my standalone DVD player.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#291597 - 07/12/12 10:53 AM

> Is it possible to turn a MNG animation (usually generated by MAME) to a video format
> (such as WMV or AVI)?

Use advmng to convert each frame to PNG, then add the string of PNGs into VirtualDub.

10 seconds later... Even better, VirtualDub APNG Mod (also reads MNG files).

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: MNG to a video format (maybe better at MAME chat...) new [Re: redk9258]
#291651 - 07/13/12 12:26 AM

Quote:

It works great playing on my standalone DVD player.

The Xvid-encoded .AVI's are great for playback upon my ol' portable Toshiba DVD player. It has a SCHC-compatible multi flash memory card reader so I don't have to burn a disc. Just place an Xvid .AVI on the card, plug'n'play.

Sometimes before a video presentation I playback some Ministry, Buck Satan, or Revolting cocks MP3 files just to get everyone pumped up. :-)

But FFMPEG is that one little tool that I've been looking for all this time to do these conversions with as little fuss as possible. I'm not putting down tools that use a GUI simply because I use such tools as well (freeware TMPEGENC, for example). It's as if it's a very big Swiss Army knife: Lots of tools within one static executable.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5370