View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Steel Talons control issue and also resets after completing a level
#275106 - 02/04/12 11:48 AM

For the game "Steel Talons", the helicopter automatically moves to the side without even touching the controls. After spending much time trying to fix it, I found that I had to map the mouse to one of the x axis analogs to straighten out the helicopter. But it takes a long time for it to finally stop moving and straighten out. It takes numerous tries of tweaking with it. A similiar problem like this is with the game "Red Baron". The only difference is that "Red Baron" just takes one try to straighten it out with the mouse and it stays that way and is fixed. But with "Steel Talons", it takes forever to fix.

Also, another problem I found with "Steel Talons" is that after completing a level, the game goes back to the title screen as if it just reset the game.

Any help please?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons control issue and also resets after completing a level new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#275137 - 02/04/12 07:10 PM

Thanks for your report. When I get home to the gaming rig I will have a look and I'm sure others will as well.

Have you confirmed this behavior with command line MAME from mamedev.org?

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons control issue and also resets after completing a level new [Re: B2K24]
#275177 - 02/05/12 06:47 AM

yea, I've experienced this problem with that game ever since I got into MAME. With my first version I've ever used, which is version 0.142u2. So this problem has existed for awhile now.

I am currently using version 0.144. But I'm sure the problem still exists on the latest "u" version as well. I searched mametesters and mameworld regarding this problem and couldn't find anything.

At first, I thought that maybe it reset because of the cheat codes, but then I exited the game and restarted it without using any cheat codes and the game still resets after completing a level.

But the most frustrating problem is that the helicopter constantly moves to the side even when I'm not touching any controls. I had to map my mouse to one of the X-axis analog controls and straighten out the helicopter. And I had to do this numerous times for the helicopter to finally straighten out and stop moving. For example, the helicopter would constantly move to the left. So I moved the mouse to the right to straighten it out. Then the plane constantly moved to the right. So I had to move the mouse gently side to side until it finally straightened out. And after thinking everything was fine and that it stopped moving by itself, once I moved the joystick in whatever direction and stopped, the plane would continue to move in whatever direction. It's so frustrating. Just when you think you have fixed the problem/movement issue, it continues to exist. It takes a long while of tinkering with the controls/movement for the automatic movement to finally stop.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons control issue and also resets after completing a level new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#275189 - 02/05/12 09:18 AM

It does seem difficult to fly the heli straight. Also, if you intentionally crash it into the ground it resets the game, which I assume is accurate behavior to the real game.

Games like this might need some specific controller or stick to play them correctly (not sure)

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons Bugs new [Re: B2K24]
#275190 - 02/05/12 09:28 AM

Thanks for taking a look at it.

Maybe a Dev could give some insight into what's up with it

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#275201 - 02/05/12 12:50 PM

this might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-9Oxp0GfA

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons control issue and also resets after completing a level new [Re: joey35car]
#275318 - 02/06/12 08:33 AM

unfortunately that didn't help

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

MAME Dev input on this matter new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#275592 - 02/09/12 07:04 AM

Can any DEVs please shed some light on this?

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: MAME Dev input on this matter new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#275813 - 02/12/12 10:03 AM

Well? Are we just going to turn our back on this game knowing there might be a major bug? It seems like only a Dev would know if this is a bug or not.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#275814 - 02/12/12 10:12 AM

First off, there is a proper place to report bugs-- this forum doesn't always get responses from busy developers. Create an account at http://www.mametesters.org/

Secondly, don't be combative and demanding. That decreases the likelihood that anyone will look at your report any time soon. Have patience, report from the website, and if you haven't pissed off the devs you'll probably get a response when someone gets to looking at it.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: MAME Dev input on this matter new [Re: Firehawke]
#275817 - 02/12/12 10:30 AM

don't know if it's a bug or not... that's what I'm trying to find out.

Demanding and combative? hmmm

ScaledSprite
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/12/12
Send PM

#275847 - 02/12/12 06:44 PM

> don't know if it's a bug or not... that's what I'm trying to find out.

To solve this problem, we can show some initiative and actually trying to help ourselves, rather than making 5+ new threads a week in MAME Chat with banal threads that a cursory Google search or perhaps some thinking for yourself would have solved. For example, in this case, we can ask ourselves, "Is there any particular likelihood Atari would have shipped a game with random control and crash issues?" The answer is probably, "No."

> Demanding and combative? hmmm

Yep, demanding and combative. The very definition of about 90% of your posts whenever people don't tell you exactly what you were expecting or exactly what you want, particularly in teh 'bin. For someone who claims to be a psychologist, you really seem to know jack-all about human psychology, and I really feel for any of the unfortunate patients you might have.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: MAME Dev input on this matter new [Re: ScaledSprite]
#275875 - 02/12/12 10:47 PM

> > don't know if it's a bug or not... that's what I'm trying to find out.
>
> To solve this problem, we can show some initiative and actually trying to help
> ourselves, rather than making 5+ new threads a week in MAME Chat with banal threads
> that a cursory Google search or perhaps some thinking for yourself would have solved.
> For example, in this case, we can ask ourselves, "Is there any particular likelihood
> Atari would have shipped a game with random control and crash issues?" The answer is
> probably, "No."
>
> > Demanding and combative? hmmm
>
> Yep, demanding and combative. The very definition of about 90% of your posts whenever
> people don't tell you exactly what you were expecting or exactly what you want,
> particularly in teh 'bin. For someone who claims to be a psychologist, you really
> seem to know jack-all about human psychology, and I really feel for any of the
> unfortunate patients you might have.

That equates to: "We don't know why Steel Talons behaves that way, we hope in the future someone with experience will provide the answer, until then I will just dish out bullshit in the hopes you will go away".

Steel Talons never worked properly. It looks like there is supposed to be some sort of controller calibration that was missed for fudged when coding the driver.

I used to play Steel Talons all the time in the arcades, until the operator got rid of it. Now it drains all my patience to try and control the damn thing.

If I was a Mamedev and had a popular game Like Steel Talons behaving erratically, I would consider it a priority fixing it. But here is the crunch: It is too difficult for them to fix it. You will have better luck buying a Steel Talons before these guys resolve it.

Here you go $600 and mintyfresh.

Edited by Bizimonki (02/12/12 10:52 PM)

B2K24
Send PM

Re: MAME Dev input on this matter new [Re: ]
#275878 - 02/13/12 12:08 AM

Sounds great. Let us know when you have received it.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#275914 - 02/13/12 07:36 AM

Quote:

That equates to: "We don't know why Steel Talons behaves that way, we hope in the future someone with experience will provide the answer, until then I will just dish out bullshit in the hopes you will go away".

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Quote:

Steel Talons never worked properly. It looks like there is supposed to be some sort of controller calibration that was missed for fudged when coding the driver.

Agreed. Definitely seems like something is missing.

Quote:

I used to play Steel Talons all the time in the arcades, until the operator got rid of it. Now it drains all my patience to try and control the damn thing.

I know. It's such a cool game, but trying to control it is so frustrating that I don't have the patience neither.

Quote:

If I was a Mamedev and had a popular game Like Steel Talons behaving erratically, I would consider it a priority fixing it. But here is the crunch: It is too difficult for them to fix it. You will have better luck buying a Steel Talons before these guys resolve it.

I would consider it a priority as well. But never say never. Maybe one day, they will fix it... And this game could finally be enjoyed.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#275948 - 02/13/12 06:14 PM

So I guess you would be able to fix it? You and OSG would be perfect for each other,2 douchebags.That is of course,unless you are the same person...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: MAME Dev input on this matter new [Re: mesk]
#275960 - 02/13/12 08:21 PM

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

Fixed for 0.145u1 -nt- new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#275961 - 02/13/12 08:53 PM

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: Fixed for 0.145u1 -nt- new [Re: Phil Bennett]
#275969 - 02/13/12 10:32 PM

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#275989 - 02/14/12 03:39 AM

> That equates to: "We don't know why Steel Talons behaves that way, we hope in the
> future someone with experience will provide the answer, until then I will just dish
> out bullshit in the hopes you will go away".
> Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking.
>
> Steel Talons never worked properly. It looks like there is supposed to be some sort
> of controller calibration that was missed for fudged when coding the driver.
> Agreed. Definitely seems like something is missing.
>
> I used to play Steel Talons all the time in the arcades, until the operator got rid
> of it. Now it drains all my patience to try and control the damn thing.
> I know. It's such a cool game, but trying to control it is so frustrating that I
> don't have the patience neither.
>
> If I was a Mamedev and had a popular game Like Steel Talons behaving erratically, I
> would consider it a priority fixing it. But here is the crunch: It is too difficult
> for them to fix it. You will have better luck buying a Steel Talons before these guys
> resolve it.
> I would consider it a priority as well. But never say never. Maybe one day, they will
> fix it... And this game could finally be enjoyed.

Give this game a try when 0.145u1 is released as there was some controller work and a reset fix applied to source.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: MAME Dev input on this matter new [Re: Tafoid]
#275999 - 02/14/12 05:58 AM

Great news. I look foward to playing it. Good job guys.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#276026 - 02/14/12 05:42 PM

Glad that you guys managed to sort it out.

Thank you!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 274 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3113