Pages: 1

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

MAME rom dump questions...
#274450 - 01/30/12 12:45 AM

I was wondering, how great of importance to mame devs and (everyone else) is it to complete some of the sets that are already working in MAME but missing a few roms or pals, etc.? How are they worked around by not being there? Guessed at or hacked past? And if you do finally get a good dump, does the whole driver need to be re-written or do the roms and crcs just need to be plugged into the driver(I imagine it can't that easy...)?

I thought about doing a poll but I figured that we already know the answers and from which group they would emerge.

Later...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: MAME rom dump questions... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#274453 - 01/30/12 01:34 AM

A lot of it depends on what is in the missing dump. If it's critical code, then the game won't run at all. If it's sound data, sometimes the game will work, but won't play any sounds. If it's palette information (often stored in PROMs), then the colors might be wrong. If the missing dump is some sort of protection chip internal ROM, then the game might not work at all, or it may be possible to "hack" around it (or simulate it) in the driver, depending on the complexity of the protection.

For example, in Pac-Man, the palette information is stored in color PROMs. In early versions of MAME, the colors were hard-coded. Eventually, the PROMs were dumped and the driver was changed to read the colors from the dump. The game still worked without the PROM dump, but it's more accurate emulation now. More info on color PROMs...

http://aarongiles.com/mamemem/part3.html

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 370 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1185