MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

How Does MAMEDev Determine The Dipswitch Default Difficulty Level Setting Of A Particular Arcade Game?
#274389 - 01/29/12 05:19 AM

How Does MAMEDev Determine The Dipswitch Default Difficulty Level Setting Of A Particular Arcade Game?

I see that most games default setting is "Normal." But in some other games the default setting is "Hard" or "Easy" etc. So I was curious how the MAMEDev determines what to set the default setting level?

If they determine it by what the setting level was once they obtained the PCB, how do they know that the previous owner of the PCB didn't change the difficulty, for example, from "Normal" to "Hard" so customers would spend more quarters? Or vice versa so his customers wouldn't pass on the game because it was too difficult or too much of a learning curve. Or for whatever other reason.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: How Does MAMEDev Determine The Dipswitch Default Difficulty Level Setting Of A Particular Arcade Game? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274390 - 01/29/12 05:27 AM Attachment: btime_manual.png 120 KB (0 downloads)

> How Does MAMEDev Determine The Dipswitch Default Difficulty Level Setting Of A
> Particular Arcade Game?
>
> I see that most games default setting is "Normal." But in some other games the
> default setting is "Hard" or "Easy" etc. So I was curious how the MAMEDev determines
> what to set the default setting level?
>
> If they determine it by what the setting level was once they obtained the PCB, how do
> they know that the previous owner of the PCB didn't change the difficulty, for
> example, from "Normal" to "Hard" so customers would spend more quarters? Or vice
> versa so his customers wouldn't pass on the game because it was too difficult or too
> much of a learning curve. Or for whatever other reason.

Pretty much every game manual has "recommended settings." On games where it isn't listed, well, dunno.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: How Does MAMEDev Determine The Dipswitch Default Difficulty Level Setting Of A Particular Arcade Game? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274400 - 01/29/12 08:14 AM

Quote:

On games where it isn't listed, well, dunno.

For those games, they probably just set it at "Normal."

stephh
Happy Bonze
Reged: 07/23/06
Send PM

Re: How Does MAMEDev Determine The Dipswitch Default Difficulty Level Setting Of A Particular Arcade Game? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274403 - 01/29/12 11:21 AM

>> On games where it isn't listed, well, dunno.

> For those games, they probably just set it at "Normal."

As far as I can tell, not exactly : default settings are when the Dip Switch(es) is (are) OFF ...

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 408 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1401