MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Sheriff input situation
#274210 - 01/27/12 06:28 AM

For the game "Sheriff", I mapped the movement/walking to the left joystick. I then mapped the aiming of the gun to the right joystick. Since I had no more free hands to press the fire button, I wanted to map the fire button to all 4 directions of the right joystick to correspond with the same mapping of the aiming of the gun. So this way, when I press the right joystick upwards, the gun will aim upwards and fire at the same time.

Do you understand what I mean? Is it possible to make this mapping situation work like that?

Well, it allowed me to map it this way. But during gameplay, when I press the right joystick upwards/downwards/right/left the gun aimed that way but it did not fire.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Sheriff input situation new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274256 - 01/27/12 04:05 PM

> For the game "Sheriff", I mapped the movement/walking to the left joystick. I then
> mapped the aiming of the gun to the right joystick. Since I had no more free hands to
> press the fire button, I wanted to map the fire button to all 4 directions of the
> right joystick to correspond with the same mapping of the aiming of the gun. So this
> way, when I press the right joystick upwards, the gun will aim upwards and fire at
> the same time.
>
> Do you understand what I mean? Is it possible to make this mapping situation work
> like that?
>
> Well, it allowed me to map it this way. But during gameplay, when I press the right
> joystick upwards/downwards/right/left the gun aimed that way but it did not fire.

in theory, it should be possible

http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/FAQ:Controls#How_do_I_configure_the_keys.3F

by repeating the instructions for mapping a single control to multiple key (check the FAQ for the "OR" instructions) 4 times

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Sheriff input situation new [Re: etabeta]
#274301 - 01/28/12 04:03 AM

I've already read that. Are you sure it's possible to do what I am trying to do? If so, could someone try it out on their joystick to see if it works?

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Sheriff input situation new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274302 - 01/28/12 04:19 AM Attachment: sheriff.png 86 KB (1 downloads)

> I've already read that. Are you sure it's possible to do what I am trying to do? If
> so, could someone try it out on their joystick to see if it works?

Well... it works. Only thing to keep in mind is that it each time you change direction, it will fire in whichever direction you were facing first, before you change direction.

So for example, if you are facing right, and change direction to up, you will fire right, then change to facing up (so iow, you need to plan ahead).

When mapping the controls, you need to change the input for "P1 Button 1" four times, in a row, correctly, without hitting "esc." This will map that input to four different buttons (see attached screenshot).

For another tip (just in case, you might already know this), when you change an input and hit "esc," it will change that input to "NONE." Change it and hit escape a second time, and it will set itself back to default controls.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Sheriff input situation-while we're on it... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274310 - 01/28/12 06:28 AM Attachment: sheriff.png 280 KB (1 downloads)

This cpanel is the one I have for sheriff & western gun 2. But it is from an Exidy version. I don't think it's in MAME yet(or even known about?). But it does match the layout of these. The sheriffs I've seen had a round metal switch though, the same as Frontline. I doubt that helps at all but maybe some knows about the Exidy game.

Later...

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Sheriff input situation-while we're on it... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#274312 - 01/28/12 06:35 AM

> This cpanel is the one I have for sheriff & western gun 2. But it is from an Exidy
> version. I don't think it's in MAME yet(or even known about?). But it does match the
> layout of these. The sheriffs I've seen had a round metal switch though, the same as
> Frontline. I doubt that helps at all but maybe some knows about the Exidy game.
>
> Later...

I've never seen that panel, but it does sure reek of Exidy. I'd pick it out even if the logo wasn't there.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Sheriff input situation new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274313 - 01/28/12 06:52 AM

Ok thanks. It works now.

Quote:

Only thing to keep in mind is that it each time you change direction, it will fire in whichever direction you were facing first, before you change direction.

Why does that happen? Shouldn't moving the joystick up should aim up and fire up simultaneously. By that not happening like that, it makes this mapping method impractical. I'm better off taking my hand of the joystick and just pressing the fire button.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1886