MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

So who screwed up the inputs in Journey?
#273896 - 01/24/12 06:59 AM

Especially since maws is down, I have to ask here:

Earlier in MAME, you could a least go 8 ways on the planet selection board. Now, you can't. And even 4-way movement is seriously hampered-feeling. Like a broke dick. (I remember in the arcade the controls in this game being a fucking pig, but I didn't play it enough to remember real well how it played, just that it seemed backward as fuck. If ever a game deserved hacking to make it better, this is one.)

What changes happened?

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: So who screwed up the inputs in Journey? new [Re: mogli]
#273898 - 01/24/12 07:19 AM

> Especially since maws is down, I have to ask here:
>
> Earlier in MAME, you could a least go 8 ways on the planet selection board. Now, you
> can't. And even 4-way movement is seriously hampered-feeling. Like a broke dick. (I
> remember in the arcade the controls in this game being a fucking pig, but I didn't
> play it enough to remember real well how it played, just that it seemed backward as
> fuck. If ever a game deserved hacking to make it better, this is one.)
>
> What changes happened?

The board accepts inputs for an 8-way joystick. But, it was determined that the game shipped with a 4-way, so the driver was changed.

I'm not happy either. It'd be nice if there was a 'Driver Option" to change between 4-way and 8-way (like some games have a choice between B&W and a color monitor).

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: So who screwed up the inputs in Journey? new [Re: mogli]
#273901 - 01/24/12 08:06 AM

Read this. This explains the whole debate.

http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=2650

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: So who screwed up the inputs in Journey? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#273903 - 01/24/12 08:18 AM

That link died...

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/mametesters/journey.3g2

There's no argument left for having it set to 4-way. The only way to get "arcade perfect" controls is to set it to 8-way and use a 4-way leaf stick. I think Domino Man might be the same situation IIRC.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: So who screwed up the inputs in Journey? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#273991 - 01/25/12 04:05 AM

> That link died...
>
> http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/mametesters/journey.3g2
>
> There's no argument left for having it set to 4-way. The only way to get "arcade
> perfect" controls is to set it to 8-way and use a 4-way leaf stick. I think Domino
> Man might be the same situation IIRC.

Domino Man sure feels like it. Hmmm, per Mr. Do's suggestion, a control option would be nice. Hey, Derrick.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1719