MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DrLarryE
Lurker
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

Windows 98 Game
#273765 - 01/22/12 08:18 PM

I'm trying to play an old game built for W98 (Drakan). It played on my next computer (XP) fine. I now have a Windows 7 system, and the game will install but freeze just after starting. Since there is little or no support for 3D games in virtual systems, that is not an option. I installed XP as an alternate system, but the game still freezes just after starting. Compatibility mode settings do not help.

My question is, Even though there are XP drivers for all the hardware in the system, and the game played on an XP system before, could the hardware just be "too modern" to play an old game?

AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core 2.3 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Thanks

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Windows 98 Game new [Re: DrLarryE]
#273766 - 01/22/12 08:35 PM

I wonder if it would play in Virtual PC running Windows 98. Do you still have a Windows 98 install disc or image you could try?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Windows 98 Game new [Re: DrLarryE]
#273773 - 01/22/12 09:27 PM

> I'm trying to play an old game built for W98 (Drakan). It played on my next computer
> (XP) fine. I now have a Windows 7 system, and the game will install but freeze just
> after starting. Since there is little or no support for 3D games in virtual systems,
> that is not an option. I installed XP as an alternate system, but the game still
> freezes just after starting. Compatibility mode settings do not help.
>
> My question is, Even though there are XP drivers for all the hardware in the system,
> and the game played on an XP system before, could the hardware just be "too modern"
> to play an old game?
>
> AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core 2.3 GHz
> Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
>
> Thanks

Some old games try to do CPU detection when starting up in order to determine which CPU features are available (MMX, 3D Now, SSE etc), and can get really confused by dual core CPUs. In some cases setting the game to run only on one core will work, you can set it somewhere by right-clicking on the game executable then clicking properties, or by right clicking on the process in Task Manager after starting the game. IIRC there's a small app out there somewhere that someone wrote for this purpose that you can use.. but I don't remember what it's called.

I can't be more specific, google CPU affinity or something like that for more information, it's a common issue with old software, even on Windows XP.

S

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Windows 98 Game new [Re: Sune]
#273774 - 01/22/12 09:55 PM

Well, I just tried that but the CPU affinity was already set for just one core. (Is that one of the things the compatibility tab does?)

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Windows 98 Game new [Re: redk9258]
#273775 - 01/22/12 09:56 PM

I will try that, but I don't think any virtual machines support much 3D. (Oracle VM does some, but not this game)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1310