----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Arcade PC questions new [Re: Naoki]
#273586 - 01/20/12 06:00 PM

The dongle might not need to be dumped. It seems to only check for it once and we think it can be cracked through in emulation like a million other dongles, if a dev ever tries to emulate the game. You should stop posting junk lest someone confuse you for an expert. If a dev looks at a dump and determined it needs to be redumped then someone will look into doing it. We don't need guess reports from tinkering teenagers cluttering up the chat board.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Arcade PC questions new [Re: Smitdogg]
#273598 - 01/20/12 07:41 PM

We don't need guess reports from tinkering teenagers
> cluttering up the chat board.

- The dongle might not need to be dumped.
- It seems to only check for it once

Wait, who's doing the guessing here?

You might wanna reconsider being an ass to a few left interested in doing anything or expressing ideas.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Arcade PC questions new [Re: B2K24]
#273600 - 01/20/12 07:44 PM

> We don't need guess reports from tinkering teenagers
> > cluttering up the chat board.
>
> - The dongle might not need to be dumped.
> - It seems to only check for it once
>
> Wait, who's doing the guessing here?

mamedevs on the DU list when we dumped the game.

> You might wanna reconsider being an ass to a few left interested in doing anything or
> expressing ideas.

I'm not interested in reports from someone tinkering with a 15 year old computer wondering why an arcade game with similar hardware doesn't boot it up. It's worthless. Worse than worthless if someone spends time redumping something based on it.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#273601 - 01/20/12 07:57 PM

> > We don't need guess reports from tinkering teenagers
> > > cluttering up the chat board.
> >
> > - The dongle might not need to be dumped.
> > - It seems to only check for it once
> >
> > Wait, who's doing the guessing here?
>
> mamedevs on the DU list when we dumped the game.
>
> > You might wanna reconsider being an ass to a few left interested in doing anything
> or
> > expressing ideas.
>
> I'm not interested in reports from someone tinkering with a 15 year old computer
> wondering why an arcade game with similar hardware doesn't boot it up. It's
> worthless. Worse than worthless if someone spends time redumping something based on
> it.

Yes, it doesn't exactly NEED to be dumped, it can be reverse engineeered. There are software patches, there are hardware circumventions but there's a key in that HASP. I was asking for preservations sake. What if someone else has savage quest and their hasp dongle dies? They'd need to pay much extra for a service to find the key or atch past it.

Kinda destroys the preservation thing of mame huh?

You know I treat most people on here with a fair attitude and I expect the same back. Yes, I maybe doing worhtless experiments, but I enjoy it? Ok? I don't expect or deserve to be treated in the same aspect and I certainly wouldn't talk to you like that.

And you know, this random crap I do has gained me a lot of experience with computers and OSes to the point where I was labelled as having been one of the most technical in an interview of an apprenticeship and having helped with my placements easily.

Back on the subject. As I said, you could bypass it, but I'd consider that to be breaking preservation. And further more, a handfull of programs require the HASP dongle.

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#273602 - 01/20/12 08:03 PM

Even if we dump it, how would you make a new one? It's not a flash rom chip in there that can just be replaced. So cracking it in emulation is going to give potential info for making a cracked hard drive.

You spend countless hours dumping games and then watch someone like yourself post guess bullshit about it being bad and then tell me how much you like it.

Naoki
Send PM

#273603 - 01/20/12 08:24 PM

> Even if we dump it, how would you make a new one? It's not a flash rom chip in there
> that can just be replaced. So cracking it in emulation is going to give potential
> info for making a cracked hard drive.
>
> You spend countless hours dumping games and then watch someone like yourself post
> guess bullshit about it being bad and then tell me how much you like it.

Actually there are sites which can program a new key to replace a faulty one. This site comes to mind. So it's not impossible and in fact, very helpfull. Plus preserves the key.

Hey hey, I said it's possible it's bad. I'm not perfect. You are welcome to correct me and say I'm wrong. It's not like I'm not gratefull, you don't know how much I am. I love the work you and loads of others have given. With respect I can understand what you mean, but I was only saying most parts seemed bad.

The california chase drive may aswell have had faults starting to emerge, it could have been made like that, I don't know, I don't have the physical drive. I'm just saying what I believe and what I have found, not absolute facts.

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#273604 - 01/20/12 08:32 PM

The owner said a long time ago that he may dump it at some point, if it's even possible for him, all things considered. If you want to help mame then there are a lot of better options for you than this. But whatever, keep going.

Naoki
Send PM

#273605 - 01/20/12 08:36 PM

> The owner said a long time ago that he may dump it at some point, if it's even
> possible for him, all things considered. If you want to help mame then there are a
> lot of better options for you than this. But whatever, keep going.

I want to help mame, but I also want to keep my insterest busy and I wanna do small projects. Is it a crime to try to get a PC based arcade game to run on different hardware for fun? I know there's other more usefull things to do, but in all fairness your attitude puts me off from doing it. If you think it's a waste of time, fine, your opinion, but if you think I'm not being gratefull or that I'm assuming it's all wrong, you are mistaken. I'm welcome to being told I'm wrong and I like to learn how various people have set htings up like California chase. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression or used the wrong wording, I'm just voicing my opinion.

----

By gods I've found it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#273606 - 01/20/12 08:40 PM

That's nice. Keep posting about hard drives being bad based on nothing, I'm sure it won't put anyone off from dumping more.

Naoki
Send PM

#273608 - 01/20/12 08:50 PM

> That's nice. Keep posting about hard drives being bad based on nothing, I'm sure it
> won't put anyone off from dumping more.

Ok then, I won't accuse again. I'm sorry.

----

By gods I've found it!

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#273639 - 01/21/12 03:21 AM

Naoki,
The CHD image is correct.
I don't know why you are finding fault with it, however I can tell you with experience that the CHD works perfectly.

How would I know this?
Because the CHD was used to create a new hard drive on a compact flash card that is being used in my Savage Quest cabinet.
The image works perfectly with original hardware.

As a matter of fact, I was able to get the image working on a similar setup.

All that stood in the way was the dongle, to which the game posted a graphic request for the dongle to be inserted.

So somehow you are managing to create images that are damaged or the hardware is dissimilar enough that the game is posting errors.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Arcade PC questions new [Re: TrevEB]
#273644 - 01/21/12 04:42 AM

> or the hardware is dissimilar enough that the game is posting errors.

That is probably the problem.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Arcade PC questions new [Re: TrevEB]
#273688 - 01/21/12 02:15 PM

> Naoki,
> The CHD image is correct.
> I don't know why you are finding fault with it, however I can tell you with
> experience that the CHD works perfectly.
>
> How would I know this?
> Because the CHD was used to create a new hard drive on a compact flash card that is
> being used in my Savage Quest cabinet.
> The image works perfectly with original hardware.
>
> As a matter of fact, I was able to get the image working on a similar setup.
>
> All that stood in the way was the dongle, to which the game posted a graphic request
> for the dongle to be inserted.
>
> So somehow you are managing to create images that are damaged or the hardware is
> dissimilar enough that the game is posting errors.

I never said Savage Quest was wrong. I was asking about the HASP dongle since i got sq to the dongle screen once i added a voodoo3 compatible glide2x.ovl. I said I THOUGHT the California Chase chd was wrong, but meh, i'm most likely to be wrong arent i?

Edited by Naoki (01/21/12 02:18 PM)

----

By gods I've found it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 303 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1884