MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

How are you guys watching shared media at home?
#273405 - 01/18/12 06:46 PM

I have two desktop computers downstairs, one laptop, one netbook and two iOS devices. The main "server" computer stores various .avi, .mpg, .mp4 and other media which are easily viewed over WiFi by the other computers (mostly via VLC media player). The two iOS devices - namely, an iPad2 and iPod Touch 3rd-gen - play many of these same files by way of VLCStreamer, which allows viewing those .AVIs otherwise unreadable by iOS (AFAIK).

Now, upstairs we have our TV with DVD and cable box (Aliant FibreOP). What would you suggest for a tidy and/or cheap solution to view those .AVIs on the TV? I have connected the netbook to TV via VGA before, but as you can imagine it's a bit of a PITA with one cable going to video and another going to external speakers.

What about this?

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

Another factor, possibly new [Re: Mojo2000]
#273408 - 01/18/12 06:50 PM

We also happen to have a brand-new Xbox 360 4 GB with Kinect next to my main computer. ($200 CAD bundle during Boxing Week sales, w00t!) I am not sure from the two weeks we've had it whether it is able to view network shares.

I'm not about to modchip this machine yet, even if it were the only way to view network shares and play media stored therein.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

The Brazilian way. new [Re: Mojo2000]
#273482 - 01/19/12 07:54 AM

I roll out my long ass component + audio cables across the floor and plug them in to the CRT TV in the living room. The video card in my wife's PC is old enough to have analog TV-out. VLC on her PC then plays media from a shared drive on my PC. I have a nice 2.1 speaker system for my PC that I haul into the living room as well if we really want to be blown away.

We're not getting a new TV in the foreseeable future since we're not going to be able to pay for HD cable service anyway. I see compression artifacts when watching TV already, why make watching TV a worse experience than it already is by buying a modern set?

We don't have any working game console or stand-alone media player. There's a radio in the kitchen though and I have a broken 512kb iPod shuffle and a portable MD recorder with a dead battery (!) somewhere.

The only wireless device here is my Netgear router, but I keep the Wi-Fi switched off unless a guest wants to use it.

I'm happy with all this just the way it is, but I really miss listening to music while driving. Our new car came with 4 speakers but there's no stereo in it and I don't want to buy a cheap piece of shit car stereo from Paraguay.

S

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

hottt<nt> new [Re: Sune]
#273503 - 01/19/12 02:19 PM

> I roll out my long ass component + audio cables across the floor and plug them in to
> the CRT TV in the living room. The video card in my wife's PC is old enough to have
> analog TV-out. VLC on her PC then plays media from a shared drive on my PC. I have a
> nice 2.1 speaker system for my PC that I haul into the living room as well if we
> really want to be blown away.
>
> We're not getting a new TV in the foreseeable future since we're not going to be able
> to pay for HD cable service anyway. I see compression artifacts when watching TV
> already, why make watching TV a worse experience than it already is by buying a
> modern set?
>
>
> We don't have any working game console or stand-alone media player. There's a radio
> in the kitchen though and I have a broken 512kb iPod shuffle and a portable MD
> recorder with a dead battery (!) somewhere.
>
> The only wireless device here is my Netgear router, but I keep the Wi-Fi switched off
> unless a guest wants to use it.
>
> I'm happy with all this just the way it is, but I really miss listening to music
> while driving. Our new car came with 4 speakers but there's no stereo in it and I
> don't want to buy a cheap piece of shit car stereo from Paraguay.
>
> S

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

Re: How are you guys watching shared media at home? new [Re: Mojo2000]
#273505 - 01/19/12 02:58 PM

I have my softmodded (no mod chip) wii upstairs in my bedroom, wifi connected to my pc in the basement, WiiMC. WiiMC lets you add SMB shares, which is basically, sharing a folder on WinXP, and watching the avi(etc) files on my tv upstairs.

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#273509 - 01/19/12 03:52 PM

Readynas Pro with Plex running on it. It's a beautiful thing.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: hottt<nt> new [Re: italie]
#273511 - 01/19/12 04:42 PM Attachment: coelho-traveco.jpg 24 KB (1 downloads)

I bet he has a nice plate behind that tail.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

Eheheheh new [Re: igamabob]
#273517 - 01/19/12 07:05 PM

> Readynas Pro with Plex running on it. It's a beautiful thing.

Errr, yeah. OK. Bet that doesn't come cheap, which is what I'm after.

But while we're talking mutiple drive bays, does such a device allow independent drives and therefore non-RAID?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Another factor, possibly new [Re: Mojo2000]
#273521 - 01/19/12 08:29 PM

> We also happen to have a brand-new Xbox 360 4 GB with Kinect next to my main
> computer. ($200 CAD bundle during Boxing Week sales, w00t!) I am not sure from the
> two weeks we've had it whether it is able to view network shares.
>
> I'm not about to modchip this machine yet, even if it were the only way to view
> network shares and play media stored therein.

It's possible without a modchip. I can't remember the details exaclty but all you did was make sure they were both on the same network and you could add the computer to the items in the videos section and play AVIs. It won't do MKV (HD) though..

Google would probably be best

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: Eheheheh new [Re: Mojo2000]
#273525 - 01/19/12 09:11 PM

No, it has to be raid of some sort. The linux install it uses sees the whole controller as one drive. You can set up multiple share folders that can be mounted as separate drives on a PC.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Brad
Aussie D1ckhead
Loc: Australia
Send PM

#273534 - 01/20/12 01:08 AM

I use one of these over wireless to hit my media share machine downstairs. My wife loves it.

http://www.astone.com.au/index.php?productID=25

Brad

www.aussiearcade.com.au

Budweiser
And you wonder why I drink !!!
Loc: Arizona
Send PM

Re: How are you guys watching shared media at home? new [Re: snake78]
#273539 - 01/20/12 02:56 AM

> I have my softmodded (no mod chip) wii upstairs in my bedroom, wifi connected to my
> pc in the basement, WiiMC. WiiMC lets you add SMB shares, which is basically, sharing
> a folder on WinXP, and watching the avi(etc) files on my tv upstairs.

Thanks for the tip just hooked up my wii

Rehab is for quitters !!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#273546 - 01/20/12 05:23 AM

This isn't really shared media in the way you're asking, but I think it's pretty cool...

I have a Pioneer DV-410V DVD player that will play divx files off a thumb drive. It will up-scale content to 1080p. It's hooked up to my 55-inch 1080p LCD TV.

I missed last week's episode of Fringe so I located a torrent and put it on a thumb drive.

According to the guys on AVSForum, the highest it can play is 720x480(4:3) and 624x352(16:9).
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1038674

Coincidentally, the Fringe divx file was exactly 624x352 and it looked surprisingly good on the the big screen. I guess that's a testament to the up-scaler in the DVD player.

I purchased it a few years ago. Here's the current model, the DV-420V...
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc-and-DVD/Pioneer-DVD-Players/DV-420V-K

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

Re: How are you guys watching shared media at home? new [Re: Budweiser]
#273550 - 01/20/12 07:03 AM

> Thanks for the tip just hooked up my wii

So much cool homebrew stuff is available. I have emulators for NES, SNES, GBA/GBC, Genesis, and Wolfenstein (dos), all on my tv, all at full speed. All but the genesis emulator allow me to connect to a shared folder on my network for the roms. And they all allow for configurable buttons and control schemes: classic controller, wiimote, wiimote and nunchuck, etc... Plus with WiiMC, I can check out youtube videos, and online radio stations, in addition to the video files.

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Another factor, possibly new [Re: Naoki]
#273570 - 01/20/12 02:48 PM

yup. I thought a 360 could connect to a media server right out of the box. Just enable any kind of media server on your PC (even windows media center if you have a version of windows that comes with it)

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

Geez, that's cool! new [Re: snake78]
#273592 - 01/20/12 06:37 PM

> > Thanks for the tip just hooked up my wii
>
> So much cool homebrew stuff is available. I have emulators for NES, SNES, GBA/GBC,
> Genesis, and Wolfenstein (dos), all on my tv, all at full speed. All but the genesis
> emulator allow me to connect to a shared folder on my network for the roms. And they
> all allow for configurable buttons and control schemes: classic controller, wiimote,
> wiimote and nunchuck, etc... Plus with WiiMC, I can check out youtube videos, and
> online radio stations, in addition to the video files.

Geez, that's super-cool! Should I assume that softmodding is the way to go and easy to do on Wii?

I should like to find info on how to do all the equivalent on my Xbox 360, specifically so I don't get my machine banned.

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

Yes, thanks (more) new [Re: URherenow]
#273593 - 01/20/12 06:40 PM

Thank you for pointing that out. WMP 11 on my XP server was just a tiny bit cantankerous, but eventually located all desired files. Xbox found the connection and movie streaming has been straightforward. Only thing is that the wireless gamepad shuts off after a while. Duh.

Now I'm just hoping to find the next stage of nirvana (as mentioned in my other recent thread reply)...

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Geez, that's cool! new [Re: Mojo2000]
#273595 - 01/20/12 06:46 PM

> Geez, that's super-cool! Should I assume that softmodding is the way to go and easy
> to do on Wii?
>

It's pretty simple if you have Lego Indiana Jones/Star Wars/Batman. You can also use Super Smash Brothers.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3988