MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

The rise and fall of Judge Dredd Arcade
#272992 - 01/14/12 08:21 PM

http://gaminghell.co.uk/JudgeDreddInterview.html

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Thanks. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#272996 - 01/14/12 09:06 PM

That was interesting an informative, I really enjoyed reading that.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: The rise and fall of Judge Dredd Arcade new [Re: Smitdogg]
#273010 - 01/15/12 12:01 AM

> http://gaminghell.co.uk/JudgeDreddInterview.html

Objection Overruled!

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

chrisqc
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/25/10
Send PM

#273120 - 01/15/12 04:54 PM

nice interview enjoyed reading it

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#273145 - 01/15/12 09:13 PM

Quote:

However, Judge Dredd was very, very underground in the States at the time. In America you to be exposed to Judge Dredd you had to be

a) from England with a love for English Sci-Fi. (Jake Simpson*)
b) a comic book nerd ball (Tim and John)
c) into heavy metal + art + the crossover of GamesWorkshop and the current English grindcore/thrash movement.

While these were somewhat true, one actually only had to hear Anthrax's Judge Dredd, off of Among the Living ('87). Or, be in a real comics store in the late 80s, and be curious about non-domestic comics. I had both those experiences....however, I was more into SF-like stuff, whereas Dredd looked more like Dystopian fantasy, and so I chose select Manga (for example, Appleseed).

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: The rise and fall of Judge Dredd Arcade new [Re: mogli]
#273147 - 01/15/12 09:26 PM

Yeah I didn't really agree with that section exactly either. I had heard of it, didn't even know it was British, and it doesn't matter either way. Just about any action comic book character is a good character for a video game whether someone has heard of them or not.

The most interesting part of the interview I think was the part about "tweakers".

TepidSnake
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/12
Send PM

#273149 - 01/15/12 09:53 PM

Hello! I'm the person who conducted that 'interview' (although it was less a formal interview, more that they found my play-through of the game and sent me some very informative emails about its development).

Just wanted to say thanks for spreading this around. Make sure you have a look at the location test notes as well (at the bottom of the page), some great inisght into what was considered a hit back then (in particular, they say that players want to fight against each other rather than cooperate).

Also, as they said, the version in MAME is not the one that was eventually location-tested. Does anyone here know where that particular dump came from?

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

Re: The rise and fall of Judge Dredd Arcade new [Re: TepidSnake]
#273161 - 01/16/12 01:02 AM

i think it would be actually interesting knowing where to find that almost complete version he's talking about..assuming that it really exists...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2763