Pages: 1

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Adobe Reader won't install...
#272114 - 01/03/12 03:51 PM

I need it to view pay stubs at my employer's website, but when I try to install the plugin it says that my version of Internet Explorer is out of date, and the installation is terminated.

It's not just out of date, it's completely borked from a trojan I picked up a while back. Never bothered to fix it since I've been using Firefox for years. Adobe Reader v9.4 supports my version of Firefox, but it won't install because of IE. wtf

Pi
Allergic to life
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Adobe Reader won't install... new [Re: Allnatural]
#272117 - 01/03/12 04:48 PM

Try FoxIt Reader.
http://foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Gemini
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

#272119 - 01/03/12 05:07 PM

If you don't want to try Sumatra or Foxit, you could try a different version of Adobe Reader:

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.3.0/en_US/AdbeRdr830_en_US.msi
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.3.0/en_US/AdbeRdr830_en_US.msi

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/AdbeRdr940_en_US.exe
http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/AdbeRdr940_en_US.exe
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.1/en_US/AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.1/en_US/AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe

I haven't had any problems with the 8.x series, but there are probably some PDF files that require a newer version.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

Re: Adobe Reader won't install... new [Re: Gemini]
#272121 - 01/03/12 06:01 PM

> If you don't want to try Sumatra or Foxit, you could try a different version of Adobe
> Reader:

I've been using Foxit for a while. Never thought to check for a Firefox plugin. Unfortunatly, after updating to the latest version and installing the plugin, I still can't view my pay stubs (this is ADP; some of you might be familier with it). Firefox still asks me to install the Adobe plugin. v8.3 gives me the same problem as 9.4. It won't install without IE present.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#272127 - 01/03/12 06:24 PM

Right click on the links and save the PDF files to your computer.
Launch adobe or foxit and use the file->open menu to open the PDF file.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#272129 - 01/03/12 06:37 PM

It's about time browsers started supporting them by default, there are way too many websites using these bloated piles of junk called PDF. Obviously you can't just tell every single website out there to do everything The Right Way with HTML-based pages, so you may as well join them by incorporating Adobe's shitty file format without the need for a separate reader app. As soon as I see one of those icons on a web page, I instantly navigate away from it, websites that link every single 'main' file as PDF documents are that repulsive, especially when most of them could have easily been done in HTML and/or one of its successors. Give up Adobe, your once-proprietary file format and its slow, resource hogging Reader have had their heyday, and have no place on the Internet, both then (1993) and now.

> It won't install without IE present.
Another WTF moment...

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

Re: Adobe Reader won't install... new [Re: krick]
#272132 - 01/03/12 07:11 PM Attachment: Clipboard.jpg 71 KB (1 downloads)

> Right click on the links and save the PDF files to your computer.

No links to click. DownloadHelper doesn't "see" a pdf file, so I can't download it that way either.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pi
Allergic to life
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#272134 - 01/03/12 07:28 PM

> > Right click on the links and save the PDF files to your computer.
>
> No links to click. DownloadHelper doesn't "see" a pdf file, so I can't download it
> that way either.

right click on the page, information (not source code), media. See if in the list there's a PDF, and if you can save it from there.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: Adobe Reader won't install... new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#272142 - 01/03/12 08:31 PM

> It's about time browsers started supporting them by default

I believe that Chrome does support PDF without a plugin.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

Re: Adobe Reader won't install... new [Re: Pi]
#272143 - 01/03/12 08:32 PM

> right click on the page, information (not source code), media. See if in the list
> there's a PDF, and if you can save it from there.

Already considered that.

This is no doubt further proof that I need to stop clinging to old, outdated software (win2k mostly, but I'm behind the times almost everywhere). But damnit, everytime I update something that was simple and functional, I'm treated to a bloated pile of crap with an ugly interface.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#272145 - 01/03/12 08:34 PM

> I need it to view pay stubs at my employer's website, but when I try to install the
> plugin it says that my version of Internet Explorer is out of date, and the
> installation is terminated.
>
> It's not just out of date, it's completely borked from a trojan I picked up a while
> back. Never bothered to fix it since I've been using Firefox for years. Adobe Reader
> v9.4 supports my version of Firefox, but it won't install because of IE. wtf

Have you tried going to add/remove programs and repairing Internet Explorer?

You could also try an off-line install of IE7...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/fo...d3-563a8307ee8c

rlasseigne22
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/20/12
Send PM

#273584 - 01/20/12 05:53 PM

I was able to get this working. The first thing you need to do is go to internet options > Programs tab, click "set programs" at the bottom.
Click "Associate a file type with a program" and go down to .pdf (this will tell you what program it will use to open this file type (unless you have Adobe Acrobat, this will usually always say Adobe Reader 9 or another version). Now you need to Launch the said Application that is specific to you. My case it was Adobe Reader 9.

With Adobe reader 9 open, click Edit and Preferences. On the left side you will see options. Click internet to see Adobe's behavior within web pages. Make sure "view PDF in website" is checked at the top. Close IE and reopen and it should work.

If it still doesn't work, click the Tools button in internet explorer and go to Manage add-ons. select "currently loaded add-ons" and you should See a list of Adobe add-ons. Make sure the Adobe Reader add-on is "enabled" and try again.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Adobe Reader won't install... new [Re: Pi]
#274121 - 01/26/12 06:14 AM

> Try FoxIt Reader

I like Foxit. Trying out this one now; looks pretty good, too:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2549