View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Question about Rave Racer
#272113 - 01/03/12 03:38 PM

OK I just did a tiny bit of testing of Rave Racer with the latest version of MAME. Seems the speed has improved quite a bit since the last time I tried it so thanks MAME Devs.

A couple questions....

1)Which version of Rave Racer contained the support for an H-Gated 6 speed shifter? I tried all three versions I have....Jpn, Jpn ver B, and World, and went into the service menu looking for a way to enable it. Is it because there is yet another version of the game out there that has support for the H-gated shifter? If so, has it been dumped yet?

2)Something is wrong with the pedal analog support in the "World" version of Rave Racer. It acknowledges my CST pedals(which are a separate USB device) before I start the race, but as soon as I start the race, my pedal no longer functions. I know it isn't the mapping of my pedal controls, since it allows me to select the course, transmission, etc. Only when the race starts. Also it works OK in the "raveracja" version of the rom I have. Can anyone help?

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: Outrun2006]
#272125 - 01/03/12 06:19 PM

1) Change the cabinet type in MAME dipswitch menu
2) Does it work in the official 0.144? (not u1-u4). If so, it's a recent regression. Otherwise, it's due to inputs not emulated accurately for system22 games, unlike for supersystem22.

Edited by hap (01/03/12 06:19 PM)

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: hap]
#272174 - 01/04/12 05:38 AM

> 1) Change the cabinet type in MAME dipswitch menu
> 2) Does it work in the official 0.144? (not u1-u4). If so, it's a recent regression.
> Otherwise, it's due to inputs not emulated accurately for system22 games, unlike for
> supersystem22.

>>>>>>>

Ahh I see now. That explains it. Hopefully controls for System 22 get sorted. I'm sure the devs are working on it and we all appreciate their efforts.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#272197 - 01/04/12 04:33 PM

> Otherwise, it's due to inputs not emulated accurately for system22 games, unlike for
> supersystem22.

LOLWUT? Emulating the additional C74 would do nothing for the problem he's having - it appears he may need to run the game's analog calibration though (hold F2 and tap 9, or vice-versa, it's been a while).

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: R. Belmont]
#272215 - 01/05/12 03:31 AM

> it appears he may need to run the game's analog calibration though (hold F2 and tap
> 9, or vice-versa, it's been a while).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Belmont I will try that, and let you know what happens. Thank you for the suggestion.

On the other note, does anyone know which particular dipswitches need to be flipped to activate H-gated pattern shifter support?

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#272231 - 01/05/12 10:00 AM

it appears he may need to run the game's analog calibration though (hold F2 and tap

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LOL.....it's amazing how R.Belmont can just randomly pop into a thread, mumble off a few words and help a brotha out BIG TIME!!! That was EXACTLY what I needed to do for the gas pedals to work. Hold 9 + F2. Good lookin' Belly

1) Change the cabinet type in MAME dipswitch menu

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for this tip! You're exactly right....needed to change it to "50 Inch". However, we have a problem Houston. Unfortunately MAME's very own "Input for this Game" sub-menu does not contain any options to assign any controls or buttons to the H-patter gear shifter in Rave Racer. The only option for gears is "Shift Up" and "Shift Down".

Can anyone tell me if this was simply an oversight on MAME dev's part or is there an actual way to have the "Input this Game" sub-menu display that particular option?

hap
Send PM

#272238 - 01/05/12 04:38 PM

Good to hear you got the pedal working.
The shifter is like this:

1 3 5 When the cabinet is set to Deluxe, the stick shift is basically
|-|-| an 8-way joystick that locks into place.
2 4 6 Standard (default) setup uses a racing shifter like in Ace Driver. */

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

R.Belmont is actually Chuck Norris [nt] new [Re: Outrun2006]
#272242 - 01/05/12 05:52 PM

> LOL.....it's amazing how R.Belmont can just randomly pop into a thread, mumble off a
> few words and help a brotha out BIG TIME!!!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#272244 - 01/05/12 06:01 PM

> few words and help a brotha out BIG TIME!!! That was EXACTLY what I needed to do for
> the gas pedals to work. Hold 9 + F2. Good lookin' Belly

Glad to hear that worked The symptoms sounded oddly like some problems people had trying to run Supermodel without calibrating first, so I was hopeful it'd fix things for you. (Although in the SM case it's the emulator doing the calibration, not the game).

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Gonna call him "Belly" from now on *nt* new [Re: Outrun2006]
#272250 - 01/05/12 08:31 PM

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#272260 - 01/06/12 12:33 AM

> Good to hear you got the pedal working.
> The shifter is like this:
>
> 1 3 5 When the cabinet is set to Deluxe, the stick shift is basically
> |-|-| an 8-way joystick that locks into place.
> 2 4 6 Standard (default) setup uses a racing shifter like in Ace Driver. */

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hap you're not understanding what I'm saying.....whether the cabinet type is set to deluxe, 50 Inch, Twin, or Upright, it doesn't matter, because there are NO options in MAME's "Input this game" sub-menu that allows me to map joystick buttons to gears 1-6. The menu doesn't even mention it at all. All it lists is "Shift Up" and "Shift Down", meaning it allows for mapping to sequential shifter *ONLY*...not an H-Pattern one. So if there is a way to change this please let me know.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#272262 - 01/06/12 12:36 AM

> > Good to hear you got the pedal working.
> > The shifter is like this:
> >
> > 1 3 5 When the cabinet is set to Deluxe, the stick shift is basically
> > |-|-| an 8-way joystick that locks into place.
> > 2 4 6 Standard (default) setup uses a racing shifter like in Ace Driver. */
>
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> Hap you're not understanding what I'm saying.....whether the cabinet type is set to
> deluxe, 50 Inch, Twin, or Upright, it doesn't matter, because there are NO options in
> MAME's "Input this game" sub-menu that allows me to map joystick buttons to gears
> 1-6. The menu doesn't even mention it at all. All it lists is "Shift Up" and "Shift
> Down", meaning it allows for mapping to sequential shifter *ONLY*...not an H-Pattern
> one. So if there is a way to change this please let me know.

Does it appear as an analog or digital joystick input, though? I think that's what it actually is - a joystick in an H-gate.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Gonna call him "Belly" from now on *nt* new [Re: Stiletto]
#272263 - 01/06/12 12:36 AM

Pronounced "Arrrr Belly" (don't forget the "R"). All ready for "Talk like a Pirate" day.

Moose

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#272266 - 01/06/12 01:03 AM

> > > Good to hear you got the pedal working.
> > > The shifter is like this:
> > >
> > > 1 3 5 When the cabinet is set to Deluxe, the stick shift is basically
> > > |-|-| an 8-way joystick that locks into place.
> > > 2 4 6 Standard (default) setup uses a racing shifter like in Ace Driver. */
> >
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> >
> > Hap you're not understanding what I'm saying.....whether the cabinet type is set to
> > deluxe, 50 Inch, Twin, or Upright, it doesn't matter, because there are NO options
> in
> > MAME's "Input this game" sub-menu that allows me to map joystick buttons to gears
> > 1-6. The menu doesn't even mention it at all. All it lists is "Shift Up" and "Shift
> > Down", meaning it allows for mapping to sequential shifter *ONLY*...not an
> H-Pattern
> > one. So if there is a way to change this please let me know.
>
> Does it appear as an analog or digital joystick input, though? I think that's what it
> actually is - a joystick in an H-gate.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

But there isn't that type of joystick selection in the menu...all there is, is "Shift Up, Shift Down, Shift Left, Shift Right" and the rest is the standard Analog settings for steering, gas and brake, view change, custom buttons, etc. Nothing pertaining to "Joystick buttons 1-6" or "Shift gate 1-6".

And yes, this is even when it's set to deluxe or even "50 Inch". Watch, if you don't believe me, fire up Rave Racer and see for yourself.

hap
Send PM

#272268 - 01/06/12 01:14 AM

Tell you what, I'm the guy responsible for the major emulation improvements of Namco System22 in MAME recently, including this stick shifter thing so I'm pretty near certain this is how it works; a simple 8-way joystick.

Try it out in testmode -> i/o test -> switch test and toy with shifter u/d/l/r, you'll understand how it works then.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#272271 - 01/06/12 01:51 AM

> Tell you what, I'm the guy responsible for the major emulation improvements of Namco
> System22 in MAME recently, including this stick shifter thing so I'm pretty near
> certain this is how it works; a simple 8-way joystick.
>
> Try it out in testmode -> i/o test -> switch test and toy with shifter u/d/l/r,
> you'll understand how it works then.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, I tried your suggestion, and discovered how it works. Hap, your efforts are VERY much appreciated dude, but I can tell you the way in which this 8-way joystick needs to be setup is VERY unorthodox and bizarre. Keys for "Shift left and Shift right" need to be held down in order for gears 1 and 2 to activate, as well as gears 5 and 6. Shift left needs to have TWO functions assigned to it so that one is held down while the other engages. Unfortunately I do not have an analog joystick, so conducting this test with an actual H-pattern shifter is proving to be extremely cumbersome. I am trying to map all the gear inputs to EACH gear button on my TH8RS shifter, shown below

....and I need to figure out how to assign it so that they map exactly the way each gear would in a real car. Like I said, I DID figure out how engage the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th gear in the Rave Racer I/O test menu, but having to have shift left or shift right held down in order to do so is very bizarre.

Can I ask why you implemented it this way? Why not tell MAME to let the user assign gear buttons 1-6?

hap
Send PM

#272273 - 01/06/12 02:06 AM

It's implemented that way simply because the machine works that way. =)

Here's how to assign it to 6 separate buttons in MAME, hope it works for your shifter hardware:
Shift Down = button1 OR button3 OR button5
Shift Up = button2 OR button4 OR button6
Shift Left = button1 OR button2
Shift Right = button5 OR button6

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#272276 - 01/06/12 02:34 AM

> It's implemented that way simply because the machine works that way. =)
>
> Here's how to assign it to 6 separate buttons in MAME, hope it works for your shifter
> hardware:
> Shift Down = button1 OR button3 OR button5
> Shift Up = button2 OR button4 OR button6
> Shift Left = button1 OR button2
> Shift Right = button5 OR button6

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

F*CK ME IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

Dude....how on EARTH did you figure out which buttons go where on my shifter? Are you some kind of genius or wizard or something???

The funny thing is, I played around with mapping the inputs in pretty much the same way you suggested, and I can't understand why I couldn't get the shifter inputs to correspond to an individual gear on my shifter, even after doing the "button 1 or button 2 or" yada yada yada...I am going to study WHY having the shifter mapped out this way actually makes it work, because right now my curiosity has the best of me.

And my mind is simply blown at the fact that it actually works this way on the real Rave Racer cab. Simply crazy.

Anyway thanks a lot dude. I think in hindsight, the first thing I should have done is tell you what kind of physical device I wanted the shifter inputs mapped to, and posted a picture so you could understand what I was dealing with. I guess you were under the impression I wanted to map the shifter inputs to some sort real analog joystick or a gamepad, no?

hap
Send PM

#272278 - 01/06/12 02:44 AM

There's no impressive wizardry going on, it's all simple logic really. =p
Anyway, have fun playing.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#272279 - 01/06/12 02:51 AM

> There's no impressive wizardry going on, it's all simple logic really. =p
> Anyway, have fun playing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks man, you ROCK!

Just a quick question playa.....do you know of a way to eliminate the game's background music? Reason is I like to race to my own soundtrack, and want to crank up some Depeche Mode and New Order while zooming around track.

Is there a dip switch setting or perhaps a setting in MAME that mutes the game's music but still keeps the sound effects going?

hap
Send PM

#272282 - 01/06/12 03:07 AM

Not that I know of.
and tsk-tsk that you don't like hearing Raveracer (and other ridgeracer series?) music. ;p

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#272289 - 01/06/12 04:10 AM

> Not that I know of.
> and tsk-tsk that you don't like hearing Raveracer (and other ridgeracer series?)
> music. ;p
>>>>>

Thanks man, and haha....RR music is cool, I dig it...but I've always been a custom soundtrack kinda guy

Anyway keep up the good work.

I can't wait until GPU hardware acceleration and force feedback is supported in MAME. Playing Rave Racer then, is going to be nothing short of ORGASMIC!!!

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#272295 - 01/06/12 04:50 AM Attachment: raveracw.zip 1 KB (6 downloads)

> > Not that I know of.
> > and tsk-tsk that you don't like hearing Raveracer (and other ridgeracer series?)
> > music. ;p
> >>>>>
>
> Thanks man, and haha....RR music is cool, I dig it...but I've always been a custom
> soundtrack kinda guy
>
>
> Anyway keep up the good work.
>
> I can't wait until GPU hardware acceleration and force feedback is supported in MAME.
> Playing Rave Racer then, is going to be nothing short of ORGASMIC!!!

You seem like a man that won't mind using a cheat..
I've uploaded an attachment which should allow you to "Clear Music" when activated. Hard to tell on my slow machine with all the stuttering just how well it works, but it's better than nothing Just be sure you place in your "CHEAT" folder or, if you want it part of your other cheats, you need to merge with the other raveracw.xml file in your cheat package.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: Tafoid]
#272304 - 01/06/12 07:15 AM

> > > Not that I know of.
> > > and tsk-tsk that you don't like hearing Raveracer (and other ridgeracer series?)
> > > music. ;p
> > >>>>>
> >
> > Thanks man, and haha....RR music is cool, I dig it...but I've always been a custom
> > soundtrack kinda guy
> >
> >
> > Anyway keep up the good work.
> >
> > I can't wait until GPU hardware acceleration and force feedback is supported in
> MAME.
> > Playing Rave Racer then, is going to be nothing short of ORGASMIC!!!
>
> You seem like a man that won't mind using a cheat..
> I've uploaded an attachment which should allow you to "Clear Music" when activated.
> Hard to tell on my slow machine with all the stuttering just how well it works, but
> it's better than nothing Just be sure you place in your "CHEAT" folder or, if you
> want it part of your other cheats, you need to merge with the other raveracw.xml file
> in your cheat package.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WOW IT WORKS!!!!!!!! Tafoid you tha MAN! Can I buy you a bottle of champaign? How did you do it dude?

Thanks a lot bro!

Just a quick question...can I modify this file to work in Ridge Racer 1 and 2, as well as other driving games? If not, can you make me one for all of Sega and Namco's games? Thanks again

Edited by Outrun2006 (01/06/12 07:16 AM)

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Hmmm, sounds familiar new [Re: hap]
#272347 - 01/06/12 08:19 PM

I seem to remember vaguely that I had to configure my shifter inputs in a similar fashion for Atari's Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin'... When I finally got my Logitech G25 set to work, it was big-time Memory Lane. What fun!

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Hmmm, sounds familiar new [Re: Mojo2000]
#272368 - 01/07/12 03:47 AM

I seem to remember vaguely that I had to configure my shifter inputs in a similar
> fashion for Atari's Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin'... When I finally got my Logitech
> G25 set to work, it was big-time Memory Lane. What fun!

>>>>>>

Haha!! I forgot all about Hard Drivin'. I should try that next!

I just want to say thank you to everyone that offered their help in this thread. Words can't express how much I appreciate it. Hap, the Belster, etc.... Rave Racer in MAME with PERFECTLY mapped controls is freakin awesome! Other than my small wheel issue it's so great to have perfect analog steering and perfectly mapped gears like a real car.

I have only seen a Rave Racer cabinet with that elusive 6-speed H-gated shifter ONE time in my life! It was at Pac-Man arcade in Pasadena. When I saw that I always wanted to play that version again. There's something about arcade cabinets that supports real H-gated shifting that I really enjoy. What are some other ones with H-gated support that work in MAME?

OK Hap or anyone, I just have a quick question......sorry if this seems like a dumb question but is there any way to make Rave Racer look...well, a little better? I know MAME doesn't support hardware gpu effects yet, but is there any way to make the textures a little sharper? Or maybe add some AA, AF or mip mapping?? Just wanna see if I can get it look at least on par with the way it looks in Viva Nonno.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: Hmmm, sounds familiar new [Re: Outrun2006]
#272374 - 01/07/12 04:53 AM

>
> I have only seen a Rave Racer cabinet with that elusive 6-speed H-gated shifter ONE
> time in my life! It was at Pac-Man arcade in Pasadena.

Heh, funny, that particular location and machine was the *only* Rave Racer I ever played. Cheers.

BadMouth
Arcade Racing Fan
Reged: 06/13/11
Send PM

#272383 - 01/07/12 06:25 AM

> Tell you what, I'm the guy responsible for the major emulation improvements of Namco
> System22 in MAME recently

MUCH appreciated!

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: BadMouth]
#272387 - 01/07/12 09:31 AM

> > Tell you what, I'm the guy responsible for the major emulation improvements of
> Namco
> > System22 in MAME recently
>
> MUCH appreciated!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Indeed! I really feel privelaged to be in the same company as the guy to helped get Rave Racer in MAME. As fans of MAME and fans of this game, we're lucky to have all these gifted guys like Hap around here doing great work for the MAME community

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Hmmm, sounds familiar new [Re: Outrun2006]
#272388 - 01/07/12 12:05 PM

> I seem to remember vaguely that I had to configure my shifter inputs in a similar
> > fashion for Atari's Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin'... When I finally got my Logitech
> > G25 set to work, it was big-time Memory Lane. What fun!
>
> >>>>>>
>
> Haha!! I forgot all about Hard Drivin'. I should try that next!
>
> I just want to say thank you to everyone that offered their help in this thread.
> Words can't express how much I appreciate it. Hap, the Belster, etc.... Rave Racer in
> MAME with PERFECTLY mapped controls is freakin awesome! Other than my small wheel
> issue it's so great to have perfect analog steering and perfectly mapped gears like a
> real car.
>
> I have only seen a Rave Racer cabinet with that elusive 6-speed H-gated shifter ONE
> time in my life! It was at Pac-Man arcade in Pasadena. When I saw that I always
> wanted to play that version again. There's something about arcade cabinets that
> supports real H-gated shifting that I really enjoy. What are some other ones with
> H-gated support that work in MAME?
>
> OK Hap or anyone, I just have a quick question......sorry if this seems like a dumb
> question but is there any way to make Rave Racer look...well, a little better? I know
> MAME doesn't support hardware gpu effects yet, but is there any way to make the
> textures a little sharper? Or maybe add some AA, AF or mip mapping?? Just wanna see
> if I can get it look at least on par with the way it looks in Viva Nonno.

MAME won't support GPU effects, not for making things prettier anyway. It would break the philosophy of emulating what the machine did in real life, so unless that had osme graphical effects to make it look sharper, it won't happen in mame.. AFAIK anyway

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

#302464 - 01/13/13 01:17 AM

> > Otherwise, it's due to inputs not emulated accurately for system22 games, unlike
> for
> > supersystem22.
>
> LOLWUT? Emulating the additional C74 would do nothing for the problem he's having -
> it appears he may need to run the game's analog calibration though (hold F2 and tap

Thanks for this, I had no idea you could do that on these games.

FYI, you hold service then tap test.

GTI Club and I believe Cruis's USA behaved the same way for me, are there calibration menus for those games too or is there something else I'm missing?

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: RetroRepair]
#304333 - 02/15/13 06:40 AM

Haha....well got back into Rave Racer again today for the first time since last posting in this thread. Running the latest version of mame. Unfortunately I couldn't find the previous raveracer config file that I used that had the perfect shifter mappings, so I had to track down this thread again to refresh my memory on how to map the game's H-shifter inputs to my H-gated shifter. For some oddball reason, the shifter mappings changed, and no longer worked properly from the example you posted Hap. I therefore had to manually figure out by trial and error which button is assigned to where, and finally realized that everything needed to be moved over by one shifter slot. So instead of starting off with Joy Button 1, I needed to start off with Joy button 0, and then 1, and so on. So the end result supposed to be like this:

Shift Down = button 0 OR button 2 OR button 4
Shift Up = button 1 OR button 3 OR button 5
Shift Left = button 0 OR button 1
Shift Right = button 4 OR button 5

rather than .....

Shift Down = button1 OR button3 OR button5
Shift Up = button2 OR button4 OR button6
Shift Left = button1 OR button2
Shift Right = button5 OR button6

...as depicted in your original suggested post.

Anyway, it's all sorted now, and I've been playing the game and having a ton of fun just now. I really really REALLY hope we see true force feedback support for mame one day, if not then at least only for this Namco System 22 driver. Would make driving their games so much more enjoyable

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#304382 - 02/16/13 01:40 AM

It's been many years since I last played that in an arcade, so I have to ask-- did the original arcade cabinet have force feedback?

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: Firehawke]
#304410 - 02/16/13 10:45 AM

> It's been many years since I last played that in an arcade, so I have to ask-- did
> the original arcade cabinet have force feedback?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The original arcade version of Rave Racer does indeed have force feedback. It's called "Active Steering" in the test menu. Badmouth told me the Ridge Racer 1 however, does not. So I guess they introduced it in Rave. It's all good though, since Rave is the best in the arcade series

That city course!!

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#306116 - 03/22/13 08:26 AM

I fell like I could Rave Racer forever.

There's just something sublime about the handling in this game, as opposed to all the other games in the Ridge series. The way the car goes from hugging the track to drifting tightly through a corner is nothing short of orgasmic. It's a far cry from the way cars handle in Ridge Racer V for the PS2, which I've also been playing a lot.

I don't know what happened but I used to think the car physics in RRV was pretty good. But now it just feels sloppy for some reason. I mean there is some sort of terrible input lag or deadzone or *something* that's killing the feeling for me. The cars in RRV just don't feel as nimble and responsive as the ones in Rave Racer arcade do.

I feel like I could play Rave Racer all day with these excellent car physics. Pressing the brake pedal to initiate a drift was something I wasn't really accustomed to at first, but it feels so good doing it now. You can really pull off some amazing slides with the correct driving line as you approach the corner. The City track in particular should go down as one of the greatest tracks in video game history. It's just flawless.

Oh and the narration from the guy/girl duo during the race is hall of fame worthy! Go go GOOOOOOOO this race is yerzzzz!

Amazing amazing game.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#306177 - 03/24/13 02:25 AM

Y'know what's crazy? Ridge Racer V has WAAAAY more aliasing problems than Rave Racer. RRV is a jaggy fest. It's 100% pure grade A jag-o-licious!

Berty
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/06
Send PM

#312573 - 08/08/13 12:50 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, however I have got a Ridge Racer and Raver Racer arcade cab. The previous owner put in a up / down shifter. I have the 6 speed shifter now but when I installed it, the board set doesn't recognize it. In MAME it is simply a case of selecting the "Deluxe" cab type in the dip switch menu, however no such option exists on the real board set.

Does anyone know how to set the cabinet type on a real boardset?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: Berty]
#312644 - 08/09/13 05:37 PM

> Sorry to bump an old thread, however I have got a Ridge Racer and Raver Racer arcade
> cab. The previous owner put in a up / down shifter. I have the 6 speed shifter now
> but when I installed it, the board set doesn't recognize it. In MAME it is simply a
> case of selecting the "Deluxe" cab type in the dip switch menu, however no such
> option exists on the real board set.
>
> Does anyone know how to set the cabinet type on a real boardset?

There should be a service switch somewhere that you can press to get into those menus.

Berty
MAME Fan
Send PM

#312665 - 08/10/13 12:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've tried going into the menu's and I can't seem to find any options relating to the cab type. Because it is so hard to get to the dip switches on the main CPU stack, I've been using MAME to try various combinations of the dip switches. No luck so far though.

I've also got a Japanese upgrade manual, and it all seems to mention is switching the roms out.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#312667 - 08/10/13 02:23 PM

> Sorry to bump an old thread, however I have got a Ridge Racer and Raver Racer arcade
> cab. The previous owner put in a up / down shifter. I have the 6 speed shifter now
> but when I installed it, the board set doesn't recognize it. In MAME it is simply a
> case of selecting the "Deluxe" cab type in the dip switch menu, however no such
> option exists on the real board set.
>
> Does anyone know how to set the cabinet type on a real boardset?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If I'm not mistaken there are several different types of Rave Racer boards available....the twin, the upright, and the 50" deluxe. Perhaps you own the upright board or twin, which doesn't support the 6sp H-pattern shifter.

Berty
MAME Fan
Send PM

#312706 - 08/11/13 08:29 AM

You're probably right - I had suspected something similar. I believe that it is the c74 rom file which determines what type of cab it is. I was hoping to use the mame roms to re-burn a C74 for my machine but I'm not sure if it will work.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#312722 - 08/11/13 05:05 PM

> You're probably right - I had suspected something similar. I believe that it is the
> c74 rom file which determines what type of cab it is. I was hoping to use the mame
> roms to re-burn a C74 for my machine but I'm not sure if it will work.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah, either way it's a fantastic game. I'm gonna miss it. Won't be able to play any driving games for at least 6 months :cry:

Berty
MAME Fan
Send PM

#326081 - 05/20/14 10:26 AM

Hi again folks - bumping this up again as all of my searches have turned up nothing.

I've gone over the boards that I have and tried to find what the MAME source code refers to as the "Inputs" dipswitch. From what I can see there is nothing on the boards with this marking.

Experimenting within the emulator suggests that when the cab type is set of "Deluxe" via the menu, there is no modification to the Program Roms.

I've purchased some more manuals from Japan to see if there is any reference in them to this but alas no. (Although I did find a manual which talks about retrofitting the Namco force feedback steering!)

I've tried to email the folks behind the System 22 driver to see if they can explain how the feature functions but haven't had any luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#326085 - 05/20/14 05:47 PM

It's quite possible your boardset and/or program version don't support the H-gate shifter. There's nothing more we can tell you; MAMEdevs are more familiar with hardware than most, but we are not arcade techs.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: RetroRepair]
#375856 - 04/27/18 07:27 AM

5 years later, still playing Rave Racer every day and loving it. There'll never be another arcade racer exactly like it. Simple on the surface but difficult to master! A game that was way ahead of its time.

By the way I got a new shifter, one that FINALLY lives up to my expectations:

http://www.pro-sim.co.uk/shop/h-pattern-shifter/#tab-description

hap you still alive brother?

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: R.Belmont is actually Chuck Norris [nt] new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#375878 - 04/28/18 03:31 AM

-When R. Belmont goes near an Arcade board the ROMs dump themselves.

-R. Belmont once threw a bunch of Arcade machine parts on the floor and it built an upright cabinet.

-Arcade light guns automatically calibrate when R. Belmont holds them.

-Easter Eggs in games look for R. Belmont.

-Programming code entered by R. Belmont compiles and debugs itself.

asasega
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/09
Send PM

#376695 - 06/06/18 04:55 PM

Does anybody know how to activate MIRROR MODE?
I guess it's the tracks in mirror mode e.g. left curve is right curve etc.
When you win at the mountain track either normal race or time trial, at the end of the credits text there is the message MIRROR MODE R R A+B
I assume A+B is acceleration+brake, but R what could be?

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: asasega]
#376696 - 06/06/18 05:07 PM

> Does anybody know how to activate MIRROR MODE?
> I guess it's the tracks in mirror mode e.g. left curve is right curve etc.
> When you win at the mountain track either normal race or time trial, at the end of
> the credits text there is the message MIRROR MODE R R A+B
> I assume A+B is acceleration+brake, but R what could be?

From the game's manual:

New!! MIRROR MODE - This allows players to drive the course in a reversed
fashion. For example, where a turn regularly goes left, now goes right, etc.

This trick is performed by inputing the code with the steering wheel, gas and
brake pedal. When “3-2-l” appears at the beginning of the race, turn the
steering wheel RIGHT, RIGHT, then press BOTH BRAKE AND GAS
PEDALS. It’s not easy to always execute, so don’t get discouraged. It works
in all courses and game modes.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

asasega
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/09
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: Mr. Do]
#376698 - 06/06/18 05:56 PM

Thx
I tested the code, and it's working(both in MAME and vivanonno) but either the emulation is not correct or the manual is wrong.
Only the controls are reversed, I mean you steer left and the car goes right and vice versa, but the track remain intact, the curves are not reversed. Only the tachometer needle is moved to the left side of the screen which maybe indicates that is an emulation problem?. Not sure.
It needs testing on real hardware to be sure. Good luck finding one

daninthemix
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/05/13
Send PM

#384336 - 11/23/19 10:23 AM

EDIT: fixed.

To calibrate you have to HOLD the game's SERVICE 1 button, THEN press F2 and you'll get a simple calibration screen showing brake, gas, and steering.

Edited by daninthemix (11/23/19 11:34 AM)

alfman
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/05/08
Send PM

#384713 - 12/18/19 08:15 PM

Anyone know why the "Sound Volume" doesnt change after i changed them in the Service Menu? Not any louder at all

Is it a Bug?

hap
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: alfman]
#384716 - 12/19/19 03:08 PM

Hi,
not "bug", but completely unemulated.
the driver TODO mentions " * - emulate System22 I/O board C74 instead of HLE (inputs, outputs, volume control - HLE only handles the inputs)"

volume control works OK on SS22

alfman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#384717 - 12/19/19 05:56 PM

> Hi,
> not "bug", but completely unemulated.
> the driver TODO mentions " * - emulate System22 I/O board C74 instead of HLE (inputs,
> outputs, volume control - HLE only handles the inputs)"
>
> volume control works OK on SS22

Thanks for the Informations :-)

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: alfman]
#384718 - 12/19/19 06:23 PM

Glad to see people are still enjoying Rave Racer. I haven't fired up MAME in quite a while, been too busy with grinding Gran Tursimo Sport among other things, but will soon be back into MAME and enjoying some arcade racing goodness!

By the way, Boomslang has a new version of his Force Feedback Arcade Racing plugin and it's supposed to work a lot better with a bunch of MAME arcade racers. We have a discussion about it here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157734.0.html

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#384719 - 12/19/19 06:25 PM

By the way....what's wron g with the forum? The background colors are missing and every time I submit a post I get the following message:

"The information you have entered on this page will be sent over an insecure connection and could be read by a third party.

Are you sure you want to send this information?"

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#384720 - 12/19/19 07:31 PM

> Glad to see people are still enjoying Rave Racer. I haven't fired up MAME in quite a
> while, been too busy with grinding Gran Tursimo Sport among other things, but will
> soon be back into MAME and enjoying some arcade racing goodness!
>
> By the way, Boomslang has a new version of his Force Feedback Arcade Racing plugin
> and it's supposed to work a lot better with a bunch of MAME arcade racers. We have a
> discussion about it here:
>
> http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157734.0.html

Platform-limited to Windows I imagine. Quite a shame if so, about a year ago there was some hope for native cross-platform rumble support in MAME via SDL2 for systems like the ps1 that used it, and I keep getting asked about it but I'm not sure where that is now. I'll look into this plugin situation some more but my hopes aren't high, and I'm not a fan of plugins anyway for lots of reasons.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#384722 - 12/20/19 05:43 AM

> By the way....what's wron g with the forum? The background colors are missing and
> every time I submit a post I get the following message:
>
> ___________________________________
>
> "The information you have entered on this page will be sent over an insecure
> connection and could be read by a third party.
>
> Are you sure you want to send this information?"
>
> _________________________________

There was a discussion about it in the loony bin:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...new=#Post384334

In short, use http:// instead of https:// . It works for me with Firefox but not for everyone, but you won't know until you try.

alfman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: Shoegazr]
#384727 - 12/20/19 07:29 PM

> > Glad to see people are still enjoying Rave Racer. I haven't fired up MAME in quite
> a
> > while, been too busy with grinding Gran Tursimo Sport among other things, but will
> > soon be back into MAME and enjoying some arcade racing goodness!
> >
> > By the way, Boomslang has a new version of his Force Feedback Arcade Racing plugin
> > and it's supposed to work a lot better with a bunch of MAME arcade racers. We have
> a
> > discussion about it here:
> >
> > http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157734.0.html
>
> Platform-limited to Windows I imagine. Quite a shame if so, about a year ago there
> was some hope for native cross-platform rumble support in MAME via SDL2 for systems
> like the ps1 that used it, and I keep getting asked about it but I'm not sure where
> that is now. I'll look into this plugin situation some more but my hopes aren't high,
> and I'm not a fan of plugins anyway for lots of reasons.

Native support in Mame would be a really nice addition :-)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: Qun Mang]
#384778 - 12/25/19 04:31 PM

> > By the way....what's wron g with the forum? The background colors are missing and
> > every time I submit a post I get the following message:
> >
> > ___________________________________
> >
> > "The information you have entered on this page will be sent over an insecure
> > connection and could be read by a third party.
> >
> > Are you sure you want to send this information?"
> >
> > _________________________________
>
> There was a discussion about it in the loony bin:
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...new=#Post384334
>
> In short, use http:// instead of https:// . It works for me with Firefox but not for
> everyone, but you won't know until you try.

Okay, I've sorta got a fix in for this. I am still working on it though. There's still some minor issues in the message database but the forum should appear properly now (I think, I've only done limited testing!)

- Stiletto

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#384789 - 12/26/19 02:26 AM

The problem with cross-platform is that you typically end up relying heavily on libraries like SDL2, and frankly SDL2 is still a complete mess. The last I checked, large chunks of what was supposed to be in the 2.0 release were pushed back for years.

It doesn't help that the official SDL documentation tells you to visit a blog post for better details on the implementation of haptics, only to have that blog be dead outright and thus relying on archive.org links.

It's not entirely bad news, though. There's a solid plan to rework one of the most irritating parts of controller configuration, and with any real luck that'll get done before the end of next year.

---

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

#384831 - 12/28/19 05:18 AM

> The problem with cross-platform is that you typically end up relying heavily on
> libraries like SDL2, and frankly SDL2 is still a complete mess. The last I checked,
> large chunks of what was supposed to be in the 2.0 release were pushed back for
> years.

I could be wrong, but I believe a lot of that was remedied as of 2.0.10. In any event, other projects like mednafen, pcsx2, and pokemini use SDL2 for cross-platform rumble and don't seem to have any issues with it, for whatever it's worth.

> It doesn't help that the official SDL documentation tells you to visit a blog post
> for better details on the implementation of haptics, only to have that blog be dead
> outright and thus relying on archive.org links.

Interesting, where did you see that? The website's docs mention haptics in several places such as here but I couldn't find the blog link. That would be crappy if still true.

> It's not entirely bad news, though. There's a solid plan to rework one of the most
> irritating parts of controller configuration, and with any real luck that'll get done
> before the end of next year.

Well that's good at least. I'm not too hopeful anymore but if something happens, cool.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#384835 - 12/28/19 04:58 PM

https://wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryForceFeedback has the link to a blog entry that no longer exists outside archive.org.

---

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

#384839 - 12/28/19 10:14 PM

> https://wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryForceFeedback has the link to a blog entry that no
> longer exists outside archive.org.

Ah, Edgar Serra's blog post. I see what you mean. They should just repost that on libsdl.org itself and be done with it, since it seems to contain useful information. Still, at least it's available.

NicDerHund
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/09/20
Send PM

#386671 - 06/09/20 01:55 AM

Hey, sorry to revive an old (?) thread but I have started playing the RR series and want to try out Rave Racer, but I have one major issue. It seems that my car likes to randomly slide off to one direction or another. Could I have a bad dump, or? As a side note, I am using an Xbone controller cause reasons

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: NicDerHund]
#386676 - 06/09/20 07:58 AM

> Hey, sorry to revive an old (?) thread but I have started playing the RR series and
> want to try out Rave Racer, but I have one major issue. It seems that my car likes to
> randomly slide off to one direction or another. Could I have a bad dump, or? As a
> side note, I am using an Xbone controller cause reasons

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You should really see about getting a steering wheel, even a cheap one. This game deserves it and is begging to be played with one. I recommend this one for those on a budget....

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101&products_id=260

Xenphor
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/08/11
Send PM

#386679 - 06/09/20 06:35 PM

> Hey, sorry to revive an old (?) thread but I have started playing the RR series and
> want to try out Rave Racer, but I have one major issue. It seems that my car likes to
> randomly slide off to one direction or another. Could I have a bad dump, or? As a
> side note, I am using an Xbone controller cause reasons

I have the same issue and not really interested in getting a wheel. I tried using the calibration menu (9+F2) but that doesn't seem to really do anything other than detect my inputs. Is there a way to calibrate the analog stick in mame to mimic a wheel more closely? I can only assume the sensitivity or analog range is way off compared to what the game expects.

Edited by Xenphor (06/09/20 06:38 PM)

NicDerHund
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/09/20
Send PM

Re: Question about Rave Racer new [Re: Xenphor]
#386684 - 06/11/20 01:34 AM

I think the issue is that the software doesn't expect the steering wheel to move as fast as a joystick on a gamepad, strangely Ridge Racer and RR 2 seem to not mind as much.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#386686 - 06/11/20 08:51 AM

Racing game analog controls in MAME are very hit & miss when using an Xbox Controller,TBH.

I've found that the adjustments that can be made via the slider controls, don't really help much.

The Windows Xinput analog range is simply too far off what old arcade games were calibrated for with their expensive, industrial arcade wheels.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 15157