MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Do the devs have that Giant Tetris and Pac-Man Battle Royale PCB yet?
#271968 - 01/02/12 03:04 AM

Do the devs have that Giant Tetris and Pac-Man Battle Royale PCB yet?

Also what about Pac-Man Arcade Party's PCB?

If so, do you think any problems will arise when trying to include them in MAME since they are newly made games? Ya know like security features in the chip, etc.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Nope. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271970 - 01/02/12 03:17 AM

Too new.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Nope. new [Re: Dullaron]
#271971 - 01/02/12 03:22 AM

> Too new.

It's "too new", meaning they don't want to risk getting in trouble if they include it in MAME? Or "too new" that they just haven't been able to get a hold of the PCB? Or "too new" that they haven't figured out how to include it in MAME yet?

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

They won't include it in MAME until... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271973 - 01/02/12 03:47 AM

no longer making the machines and selling. I hope this will answer your question about this one. http://www.facebook.com/PacManBattleRoyale

But if you are just asking will be a problem getting those working on MAME then I have no say so over that part. Leaving Dev answer that question.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Nope. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271977 - 01/02/12 07:09 AM

> > Too new.
>
> It's "too new", meaning they don't want to risk getting in trouble if they include it
> in MAME? Or "too new" that they just haven't been able to get a hold of the PCB? Or
> "too new" that they haven't figured out how to include it in MAME yet?

Since you're still "new" around here, you should be aware of the unofficial "three-year rule":
MAME will not emulate games newer than three years old as of the current date. The reason for this is to protect the game publisher, and also for MAME to protect itself. This is not an official rule, mostly because even putting a rule like that in print would give lawyers (and people who like to "gotcha" MAME developers) ideas. Plus, this rule is bent and broken all the time. Not to the benefit of those wanting to emulate games as soon as they are available in arcades, typically this rule is broken the other way: to add more delay to the benefit of the game publisher, or if the game publisher specifically asks that their game not be included even if it has been more than three years. Some people do collect information on games newer than three years, but typically MAMEDEV won't even consider emulating it until it is three years old or older.

It's been a tough line to draw, honestly I'd make it 5 years or more.

Let's not forget that it's frequently impossible to emulate recent games at a playable speed, although that would not stop MAME developers from trying to emulate them, we'd just have to wait for our computers to catch up to be able to play them at a playable speed.

- Stiletto

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Nope. new [Re: Stiletto]
#271978 - 01/02/12 07:21 AM

> Let's not forget that it's frequently impossible to emulate recent games at a
> playable speed, although that would not stop MAME developers from trying to emulate
> them, we'd just have to wait for our computers to catch up to be able to play them at
> a playable speed.
>
> - Stiletto

And to add further, PC's catching up speed-wise is at least a 5 to 10 year wait.

So how does Mamedev determine when a game has stopped being produced? I don't imagine companies just announce to the world, "OH we've stopped making this game now!"

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Nope. new [Re: Stiletto]
#271980 - 01/02/12 07:28 AM

Ok, I figured that was one of the main reasons. It makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

On a side note, it's weird how such basic/simple games like the new Pac-Man and Tetris arcade games can be so CPU intensive.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Nope. new [Re: Master O]
#271981 - 01/02/12 07:35 AM

> So how does Mamedev determine when a game has stopped being produced? I don't imagine
> companies just announce to the world, "OH we've stopped making this game now!"

You're trying to make official something that is unofficial. Stop it.

- Stiletto

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Nope. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271985 - 01/02/12 07:57 AM

> On a side note, it's weird how such basic/simple games like the new Pac-Man and
> Tetris arcade games can be so CPU intensive.

It's not the games so much that are CPU intensive, it's the platform. New games are written to run on modern CPUs, because it would be silly not to. Even if you're not maxing them out, powerful CPUs are cheap, readily available, and they allow you to use modern techniques and development tools. From an emulation standpoint, however, you have to emulate the entire CPU for the game to work, regardless of how it's being used, which is why things get slow and CPU intensive.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Oh Please! new [Re: Stiletto]
#272041 - 01/03/12 12:19 AM

> > So how does Mamedev determine when a game has stopped being produced? I don't
> imagine
> > companies just announce to the world, "OH we've stopped making this game now!"
>
> You're trying to make official something that is unofficial. Stop it.
>
> - Stiletto

This doesn't apply to Mame. The MameDevs only code the emulator of the hardware of the game. If this Super Pacman game ran on a x86 platform with some off the shelf chips, then there is not much there to emulate.

Most modern arcade games run off windows right? Remember the leaked BlazBlue Continuum Shift?

So it doesn't matter if the companies are alive or dead. I agree with the five year rule. It makes sense on a development level.

You have games that are twenty five years old that you are still trying to fix (!!), or save from oblivion - to worry about up and coming releases.

Besides most of the popular recent arcade games end up as console releases anyway.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Oh Please! new [Re: ]
#272096 - 01/03/12 07:31 AM

> This doesn't apply to Mame. The MameDevs only code the emulator of the hardware of
> the game. If this Super Pacman game ran on a x86 platform with some off the shelf
> chips, then there is not much there to emulate.

But MAME would emulate it "the hard way" anyways, regardless if there is much to emulate.

Also if you accept "MAME knows the checksums of the ROMs and other dumps of the game and has them entered into the sourcecode" as "documentation" and "being in MAME"... then that still won't be done, even if the game is dumped, until the time delay is expired.

> Most modern arcade games run off windows right?

Many do.

> Remember the leaked BlazBlue Continuum Shift?

Oh, I see. People shouldn't confuse "being emulated in MAME" with "being hacked to be able to play on a user's PC".

Original poster asked "would it be included in MAME" and I responded "even were it not for the age, it would likely not be playable at a decent speed."

Your response is "if it's PC based, then emulation in MAME is not a requirement, and speed is not an issue."

But my reply is "the original poster asked, 'would it be included in MAME?'"
And I gave the reasons as to why not.

If the original poster meant "can I play it on my PC", wouldn't he have asked that?

Mind you, some people think MAME is the only way. (and for a future-proof solution, maybe it will be eventually.)

Remember, MAME will only allow certain kinds of speed improvements. Straight execution of x86 (ie. "virtualization") is not acceptable (yet, if ever - doubt that it's planned, but you never know).

Secondly, MAME methodology would be to emulate the x86, and emulate the off-the-shelf chips as well, for preservation purposes: basically, just in case the CPU architecture of the future isn't x86-compatible.

This won't stop the people who just wanna play free games, some hacker will figure out how to hack it to run on the native platform (if it is indeed PC-based) like BlazBlue. And if that were ever published, then people will get confused and asked "why can't we play it in MAME?"

They're confusing "emulator" with other things.

> So it doesn't matter if the companies are alive or dead.

... well, it won't stop the pirates, I suppose...

> I agree with the five year
> rule. It makes sense on a development level.

Like I said, it's informal, and it's a hard line to draw. It may as well be 5 years anyhow, for all the good MAMEDEV will be at emulating modern systems. Hitting the limits of what information is available about the hardware, and the requisite performance needed for "true" emulation... I don't expect emulation of any current arcade platforms for many years.

> You have games that are twenty five years old that you are still trying to fix (!!),
> or save from oblivion - to worry about up and coming releases.

Well, the good (or bad) thing about that is there's always going to be some new MAME developer to whom the old games, the old bugs, don't interest them, and they just want to work on the newer stuff (for various reasons). You can't force people to work on what you want, else you could lose them as a developer - "it becomes a job".

> Besides most of the popular recent arcade games end up as console releases anyway.

Good point, I just saw that Pac-Man game available as a demo on the iPad.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pac-man-battle-royale/id404706110?mt=8

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#272123 - 01/03/12 06:10 PM

> This doesn't apply to Mame. The MameDevs only code the emulator of the hardware of
> the game. If this Super Pacman game ran on a x86 platform with some off the shelf
> chips, then there is not much there to emulate.

You seem to think that somehow it's simpler to emulate x86 than other processor families. That's not correct. The i386 and descendants are easily the most baroque pieces of shit ever to monopolize a market, and are the only major 32-bit processor family unable to self-emulate. (The recent VT extensions and whatever AMD calls their version don't help; they require special drivers in the OS and don't help regular user-mode apps, although recent Linux kernels do expose that capability in a fairly sane way).

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Oh Please! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#272327 - 01/06/12 02:18 PM

Oh my God! I'm actually trying to be positive about something in this place and you come out with something every noob coder knows about. Yes X86 is shit.

I have tried (and failed) coding in X86 assembler back in the day when it was fashionable. I would rather stick a rusty nail in my eye than to try that today.

It is only difficult if you do not know how to do it.

There are so many emulators of x86 out there, which all seem to work (more or less). Believe me I do not know anything about how to create processor cores.

How hard can it be? Mamedevs are a collective right? Standing on the shoulders of giants.

Most of the Mame processor cores were written by people who knew what they were doing. They were pioneers, not maintainers or house keepers/hackers.

They probably hit a few brick walls but eventually we have the cores today to use. Everything is hard. If it wasn't we would not have anything to challenge us.

Maintainers can also be pioneers too.

While we are talking about programming here, does anyone have any good reading material on C and pointers?

Not just something random. I have Schmidt, but I need something I can cross reference. My C is as rusty as that nail.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#272338 - 01/06/12 06:20 PM

> There are so many emulators of x86 out there, which all seem to work (more or less).
> Believe me I do not know anything about how to create processor cores.

Right, and I'm saying I've written or ported nearly a dozen CPU cores (and have several more in various stages of completion) and i386 is a unique ring of hell.

> While we are talking about programming here, does anyone have any good reading
> material on C and pointers?

For C and C++ (and C#, for that matter) I always recommend the relevant O'Reilly and Associates books. Big fan of their writers on pretty much any computer-related topic.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7388