View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

PC Speakers Suggestions?
#271761 - 12/30/11 06:33 AM

I have Dell A425 - 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer. One of the speakers sounds crackling sometimes. The speaker also sometimes has no sound coming from it at all. The other speaker always works fine. I returned the speakers to Dell and they sent me a new one. The same thing happened. I do not blast music or anything like that. So I could not have blown the speaker if that is what's happeneing. Does anyone know why this is happening or what the problem is?

You know how some games in MAME are too CPU intensive for your computer and the sound is crackling etc... well can that ruin your speakers?

So I guess I'm going to have to get new PC speakers. This time, I want surround sound 5.1 speakers. Any suggestions that aren't very expensive?

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

A nice set of over-the-ear headphones _nt_ new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271762 - 12/30/11 07:14 AM

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: PC Speakers Suggestions? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271763 - 12/30/11 07:19 AM

It could be a problem with the jack on your motherboard. Does it make any difference if you gently wiggle the plug while the speakers are plugged in and playing music?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#271764 - 12/30/11 07:36 AM

> I have Dell A425 - 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer. One of the speakers sounds crackling
> sometimes. The speaker also sometimes has no sound coming from it at all. The other
> speaker always works fine. I returned the speakers to Dell and they sent me a new
> one. The same thing happened.

If two completely different sets of speakers (you verified they didn't just send you back the same ones) do this, it's likely the problem is your computer, not your speakers. Try plugging the speakers into an MP3 player or phone or whatever you keep your MP3s on besides your computer and see.

Why is this on the bin instead of "PC Hardware & Arcade Cab", anyway?

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: PC Speakers Suggestions? new [Re: krick]
#271769 - 12/30/11 09:07 AM

Sometimes the speaker works fine, but other times it has those problems I described. I don't think it's my computer because it was the speakers that came with my Dell computer. And I recently deleted my hard drive and reformatted it with the recovery CD and reinstalled Windows. So it's like brand new. So I doubt the speaker problem is because of my computer.

Moving the wires has no effect. But what does it mean if moving the wires around does temporary fix the problem? Because I've had that problem on a previous computer years ago and moving the wire around sometimes temporarily fixed the problem. So I'm curious what does that mean?

What about my question regarding playing games in MAME that are too CPU intensive. Can that crackling sound that those CPU intensive games create damage my speakers?

I forgot their was a subforum called "PC Hardware...". My bad. If you want to move this thread in there, thats fine.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#271774 - 12/30/11 12:47 PM

> I have Dell A425 - 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer. One of the speakers sounds crackling
> sometimes. The speaker also sometimes has no sound coming from it at all. The other
> speaker always works fine. I returned the speakers to Dell and they sent me a new
> one. The same thing happened. I do not blast music or anything like that. So I could
> not have blown the speaker if that is what's happeneing. Does anyone know why this is
> happening or what the problem is?
>
> You know how some games in MAME are too CPU intensive for your computer and the sound
> is crackling etc... well can that ruin your speakers?
>
> So I guess I'm going to have to get new PC speakers. This time, I want surround sound
> 5.1 speakers. Any suggestions that aren't very expensive?

I'm not sure, but I would think that any sound problems -such as crackling- are due to the frame rate (and not being able to run at 100%). Every once in a while I'll get a slight echo effect or sound stuttering, but it's often (what must be) a single sound channel. Like a voice effect while other sounds, like music don't seem to be affected.

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#271777 - 12/30/11 01:43 PM

> Moving the wires has no effect. But what does it mean if moving the wires around does
> temporary fix the problem? Because I've had that problem on a previous computer years
> ago and moving the wire around sometimes temporarily fixed the problem. So I'm
> curious what does that mean?

It means that either the speaker plug or wire has a bad connection (wire is coming off at the solder point inside the plug, or somebody pinched or stepped on the cable and half-broke it) or, worse, that the speaker jack on your PC is broken.

Follow RBs advice, test the speakers on some other equipment.

S

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#271779 - 12/30/11 02:39 PM

Mine does the same thing, I flick the speaker when it cuts out to make it work again, only this time I know it's the speakers that are the issue,

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#272080 - 01/03/12 03:51 AM

BUMP

You know how some games in MAME are too CPU intensive (or whatever it's called) for your computer and the sound is crackling etc... well can that crackling sound ruin your computer speakers?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#272084 - 01/03/12 04:27 AM

> BUMP
>
> You know how some games in MAME are too CPU intensive (or whatever it's called) for
> your computer and the sound is crackling etc... well can that crackling sound ruin
> your computer speakers?

It's pretty unlikely unless you're blasting them at maximum volume, and maybe not even then.

As others have said, it's likely to be a bad cable or a bad jack. When you exchanged the speakers, did you replace all the wires as well? If not, I'd start there.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: PC Speakers Suggestions? new [Re: DMala]
#272091 - 01/03/12 06:07 AM

Yes, I replaced everything. I never have the volume high on my speakers. I take extremely good care of everything I own. So I'm puzzled why this is happening twice to me. I don't know if it's the brand/product of speakers or if it's my computer that is causing the problem. I guess the only way to find out is test the speakers on another system.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#272118 - 01/03/12 04:59 PM

Quote:

I guess the only way to find out is test the speakers on another system.

As was suggested on 12/30, which referred to a post from 12/29 in this very thread.

I'm just confused why you'd bump the topic if you haven't tried that yet.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: PC Speakers Suggestions? new [Re: Hizzout]
#272168 - 01/04/12 04:22 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have any other computers or laptops in my house. So it's not possible for me to test it out. I asked a couple friends but they declined because they didn't want to "mess up" their setup/connection etc. I tried explaining how it wouldn't mess anything up but they didn't want to hear it. Some nice friends huh.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#272172 - 01/04/12 05:28 AM

Go to Goodwill, yard sale, etc. and buy an old Walkman for cheap or something. Anything with an 1/8" headphone jack will work.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 423 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1869