Pages: 1

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

The Coleco tabletops reviewed
#271731 - 12/30/11 12:17 AM

Never had one so this was a good overview.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: The Coleco tabletops reviewed new [Re: Andrew]
#271754 - 12/30/11 05:27 AM

> Never had one so this was a good overview.

My cousin had Pacman back in the day, which I coveted badly when I was about 6. My wife ended up getting me Galaxians as a birthday gift last year.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: The Coleco tabletops reviewed new [Re: DMala]
#271771 - 12/30/11 09:55 AM

My Coleco Galaxian one was killed by me after it met the concrete in the backyard in 1992 (I was - popped the VFD tube and it was game over. By that stage however, the controls were only just working and the battery case was missing (IIRC it took four C cells, which was a pain to hold in with a battery case made out of cardboard and sticky tape).

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

#271772 - 12/30/11 10:20 AM

I think I had both the Pac-Man and the Donkey Kong Jr.

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Gah. Four C cells.... new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#271787 - 12/30/11 05:21 PM

That's one reason I won't bother to seek out one of these units for nostalgia value.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#271831 - 12/31/11 01:13 AM

> Never had one so this was a good overview.

Had the Pac-Man. The 7805 voltage regulator would get hot enough to unsolder itself from the board if you played for a few hours and the ambient temps were high enough (ie, summer, no A/C). Still, it was a better adaptation than the 2600 Pac-Man

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Oh no not 4 C Cells! new [Re: Mojo2000]
#272348 - 01/06/12 09:25 PM

Quote:

That's one reason I won't bother to seek out one of these units for nostalgia value.

I'm sure it had a external adapter socket in the back, besides you needed the extra weight.

I had the Galaxian version and it rocked, until it disappeared during one of our transatlantic moves.

I'm sure tempted to snag one of those spares on eBay and replace the display with a Galaxy S.

At the very least it would make an interesting dock.

JimmyU
Bustin' Heads
Reged: 12/11/07
Send PM

#272401 - 01/07/12 06:53 PM

I didn't have a Coleco tabletop, but I did have this Tomy Pac-Man one. Look how cool the case is.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: The Coleco tabletops reviewed new [Re: JimmyU]
#272402 - 01/07/12 06:57 PM

> I didn't have a Coleco tabletop, but I did have this Tomy Pac-Man one. Look how cool
> the case is.

Pretty cool, I've never seen one of those before. I love how the screen shape and orientation could not possibly be more wrong for Pacman.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: The Coleco tabletops reviewed new [Re: DMala]
#272408 - 01/07/12 09:20 PM

> > I didn't have a Coleco tabletop, but I did have this Tomy Pac-Man one. Look how
> cool
> > the case is.
>
> Pretty cool, I've never seen one of those before. I love how the screen shape and
> orientation could not possibly be more wrong for Pacman.

I'm wondering why some of the dots you basically passed over and had to eat them going left. ??

I saw all these things, including the thin rectangular hand-helds. He didn't have Crazy Climber. Yeah, they made one of those, and it was pretty cool. Tie for best conversion with the Zaxxon.

I even had the Game Time and Arcade Time game watches. Silent feature buddy! Lots of game play during class in sixth grade. We'd have comps by taking turns to the bathroom, and coming back with new scores. I think I was the best, though.

The watches were the most fun, because the games weren't like anything others.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

Re: Oh no not 4 C Cells! new [Re: ]
#272571 - 01/09/12 08:34 PM

> I'm sure it had a external adapter socket in the back, besides you needed the extra
> weight.

Wouldn't suction cups or perhaps an external, heavy clip-on base do the job?

> I'm sure tempted to snag one of those spares on eBay and replace the display with a
> Galaxy S.

Ahhhh, this could be worthwhile. Aren't there other micro-cabs on YouTube with this idea, stealing screens from smartphones or whatever?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Gah. Four C cells.... new [Re: Mojo2000]
#272574 - 01/09/12 09:25 PM

> That's one reason I won't bother to seek out one of these units for nostalgia value.

If it were me I'd get some adapters so I could put 4 x AA eneloops in there.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Oh no not 4 C Cells! new [Re: Mojo2000]
#272590 - 01/10/12 01:10 AM

> Ahhhh, this could be worthwhile. Aren't there other micro-cabs on YouTube with this
> idea, stealing screens from smartphones or whatever?

There's always the iCade. I just heard that they're doing a mini version of it that will work with the iPhone.

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

iCade new [Re: DMala]
#272597 - 01/10/12 03:01 AM

> There's always the iCade. I just heard that they're doing a mini version of it that
> will work with the iPhone.

The iCade is a cool idea on many levels. My problem with the iCade, and by association iOS, is that there is no true standard for third-party controllers. It's really great that jailbroken iPads can run emulators with Wii gamepads and fight-sticks (tethered to Bluetooth Wiimotes), and it's really sad that Apple didn't just let it go. There's a whole shitload of arcade-style iOS games that would really benefit from tactile button feel, yet the user must make do with pressing a vague-feeling screen.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Gah. Four C cells.... new [Re: ]
#272603 - 01/10/12 04:49 AM

> > That's one reason I won't bother to seek out one of these units for nostalgia
> value.
>
> If it were me I'd get some adapters so I could put 4 x AA eneloops in there.

How are Eneloops BTW? I've been doing some research into the best alkaline and the best rechargeables and they come highly recommended...

- Stiletto

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Gah. Four C cells.... new [Re: Stiletto]
#272628 - 01/10/12 12:52 PM

> How are Eneloops BTW? I've been doing some research into the best alkaline and the
> best rechargeables and they come highly recommended...
>
> - Stiletto

I don't have real Eneloops, but I have some Duracell branded ones (aka Duraloops). These are the ONLY batteries that I have found that can power my old Canon A530 camera when the flash is on. Standard alkaline batteries and other rechargables (Energizer) will drain completely when the flash is trying to recharge.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#272670 - 01/10/12 11:55 PM

i have em all .the one people most want in my collection is ms.pacman but i just cant bring myself to sell it.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Gah. Four C cells.... new [Re: Stiletto]
#272671 - 01/11/12 12:08 AM

> How are Eneloops BTW? I've been doing some research into the best alkaline and the
> best rechargeables and they come highly recommended...

For AA / AAA I haven't bought anything else for years.
For PP3 I've had to use uniross hybrio as sanyo don't make one.

I like the look of the eneloops and they tested the best when I first bought them, generally they were available cheaper at the time as well.

alkaline will always lose in comparison, unless you're putting the batteries somewhere where they will get damaged or stolen & then they are a bit expensive to waste.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Gah. Four C cells.... new [Re: redk9258]
#272673 - 01/11/12 12:19 AM

> I don't have real Eneloops, but I have some Duracell branded ones (aka Duraloops).
> These are the ONLY batteries that I have found that can power my old Canon A530
> camera when the flash is on. Standard alkaline batteries and other rechargables
> (Energizer) will drain completely when the flash is trying to recharge.

I'll pick some Eneloops up then. I have some Energizer AA rechargables but my Wiimotes and my X360 wireless controllers drain them even faster than alkalines.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Gah. Four C cells.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#272689 - 01/11/12 04:17 AM

I think it's easier to find Duracell branded locally. To get Eneloops (aka Duraloops), make sure they are that pre-charged type (now called Stay Charged) that are made in Japan and have white tops. I've read the made in China with black tops are made by Ray O Vac and aren't bad either.

Read the first review HERE for more info.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: Gah. Four C cells.... new [Re: Mojo2000]
#272707 - 01/11/12 10:00 AM

> That's one reason I won't bother to seek out one of these units for nostalgia value.

IIRC, I had two of these when I was a kid: Donkey Kong Jr. and Zaxxon. Also IIRC, the battery covers have a notch cut in them which is intended to accept the lead from a battery eliminator. AFAIK, the battery eliminator was a Coleco accessory.

The battery eliminator consisted of two parts: an AC-to-DC adapter that terminated in a 9V battery connector, and a number of C- (or D-; I forget) cell batteries, one of which had the reciprocating 9V connector to the adapter. Connect them correctly, and the game would run as if it was on battery power.

To the best of my memory, the eliminator batteries were black with a yellow label containing the Coleco logo in red. As they were essentially just pass-throughs and did not contain actual cells, they weighed next to nothing. Can't figure out why Coleco went with this particular arrangement as opposed to just a straight AC-DC adapter, but there you go.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#272708 - 01/11/12 10:45 AM

> I think it's easier to find Duracell branded locally. To get Eneloops (aka
> Duraloops), make sure they are that pre-charged type (now called Stay Charged) that
> are made in Japan and have white tops.

Easier than this?

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Pre-...1354&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-Pre-...1354&sr=8-1

I only have the old type, but my wiimotes run for ages.

I bought them specifically because of this: http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/24/wii-gets-rechargeable-battery-packs-with-sanyos-eneloop/

pity the charger never made it out of japan though.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Gah. Four C cells.... new [Re: ]
#272710 - 01/11/12 12:54 PM

I cannot find real Eneloops locally. I have found "Duraloops". If you by Duraloops, you have to look for the right things to get the rebranded Eneloops.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#272714 - 01/11/12 05:12 PM

> I cannot find real Eneloops locally. I have found "Duraloops". If you by Duraloops,
> you have to look for the right things to get the rebranded Eneloops.

Some older cheaper Sanyo Digital camera bundles came with Eneloops and a charger. The $100 bundles I have seen 1 or 2 years ago in stores and the same might still be available online currently.

Maybe it's worth it for you to contact Sanyo Directly or see if a Batteries plus still carries them.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5157