Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Parenting advice
#271573 - 12/27/11 05:59 AM

OK, all you guys with kids, give me what you've got. I'm going to need all the help I can get. We've known since late October that Mrs. DMala is expecting. Last Thursday, we found out that she's carrying not one, but two little gamers. It's fortunate I was sitting down at the time, because I very well might have hit the floor.

On the other hand, we let most of the immediate family know via their Christmas presents. Watching their reactions was the most fun I've had at Christmas in years.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Parenting advice new [Re: DMala]
#271574 - 12/27/11 06:40 AM

>OK, all you guys with kids, give me what you've got.

>Last Thursday, we found out that she's carrying not one, but two little gamers.

How did you have twins? You only did it once?

WOW! I've got twin boys, they are teens now.

Advice... let's see... for starters if there is any way to have grandparents pitch in, take advantage of it. You WILL be overwhelmed. One of my twins had colic, took forever to feed him, by the time he was done, the other was hungry, and when he was done, #1 was hungry again, repeat all thru the night, all thru the day, every night and day until 6 months pass.

#2... which should be #1, make sure to set aside a date night for you and the missus AT LEAST once every week... what ever it takes to make this happen. You and her are the foundation of the family, you need to keep that foundation solid. A friend of mine gave me that advice once. I pointed out how expensive a baby sitter can be, and he pointed out how expensive divorce can be... and a baby sitter is cheaper. A crude joke, but it drove the point home. Gatinha and I took that advice and still to this day take dates regularly... it pays off. And the kids benefit, believe me.

#3... they are twins, but unique individuals. "You are unique, just like everyone else" It's easy to keep lumping them together for everything, but avoid that temptation.

#4 Love the snot out of 'em. Kids are awesome! Don't wish the days away "God, when are they going to be out of diapers/bottles/cribs/tantrums/etc" Don't be in a hurry to grow them up, because they grow up too fast as it is, and you'll miss the days when they were so cute and tiny. And its not like the later stages are any easier anyway. I'll take a baby in diapers over a teenager all day long.

CONGRATULATIONS!

DUDE! I just got an awesome idea I wish I had thought of when my twins were little... t-shirts where one says "1 UP" and the other says "2 UP" lol

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#271575 - 12/27/11 07:44 AM

Don't pay too much attention to all the people who are full of advice. You have to get through it as parents. Everyone's experience is different. Every baby is different. Good luck, and make the best of it!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Parenting advice new [Re: GatKong]
#271576 - 12/27/11 07:51 AM

Thanks, man. I was hoping to hear from someone with experience specifically with twins. Somehow in all of the scenarios I imagined, twins never really rated any consideration. Too improbable an event, I suppose. I'm coming around to it now, but it's definitely taken some mental readjustment over the last few days.

My wife is big into etsy and all of the hip t-shirt sites, I'm sure we'll have a few variations of "Player 1" - "Player 2" ready to go when the big day arrives.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#271578 - 12/27/11 08:21 AM

Just be prepared for the day they go off to school. You will no longer be the center of their universe.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#271580 - 12/27/11 10:32 AM

> Thanks, man. I was hoping to hear from someone with experience specifically with
> twins. Somehow in all of the scenarios I imagined, twins never really rated any
> consideration. Too improbable an event, I suppose. I'm coming around to it now, but
> it's definitely taken some mental readjustment over the last few days.

Gat's advice sure seems good to me. Then again, what would I know ..... (no kids here).

> My wife is big into etsy and all of the hip t-shirt sites, I'm sure we'll have a few
> variations of "Player 1" - "Player 2" ready to go when the big day arrives.

LOL yes, that sounds cool. And maybe some "Game Over" boxer shorts for you .....

Moose

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#271586 - 12/27/11 02:11 PM

I have no advices but many congratulations! TWO thumbs up!

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Run while you still can. new [Re: DMala]
#271592 - 12/27/11 02:53 PM

> OK, all you guys with kids, give me what you've got. I'm going to need all the help I
> can get. We've known since late October that Mrs. DMala is expecting. Last Thursday,
> we found out that she's carrying not one, but two little gamers. It's fortunate I was
> sitting down at the time, because I very well might have hit the floor.
>
> On the other hand, we let most of the immediate family know via their Christmas
> presents. Watching their reactions was the most fun I've had at Christmas in years.

I keed.... Congratulations.

About the only piece of advice I can give that seems to be universal between my two kids is buy a few swaddlers. They are these strange blanket-like contraptions that wrap the kids up like burritos. It seems funny the first few nights, but it keeps the kids from waking themselves 15 times a night.

That magic blanket was the instantaneous end to six weeks of hell with my daughter. We went from waking every 15 minutes, to sleeping 6-8 hours through the night.

~edit~, one more tidbit~
Like everyone else has said, get as much help as you can. No shame in seeking it whatsoever, you don't win a prize for doing everything on your own. This rings ESPECIALLY true if your wife has to have a C-Section. C-sections are game changers, so have a plan ready. If your wife needs one, she's going to be out of commission in some form for 2 weeks minimum. Expect to take as much time off work as you can if that is the case, or have someone that can be with her the first few weeks. She won't be able to care for the kids on her own during that time, and will need a ton of rest herself. My wife had both our kids via C, and it took a good 4 weeks before she was able to handle a full 8 hours alone with them.

Jdurgi
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

#271593 - 12/27/11 02:56 PM

> Thanks, man. I was hoping to hear from someone with experience specifically with
> twins. Somehow in all of the scenarios I imagined, twins never really rated any
> consideration. Too improbable an event, I suppose. I'm coming around to it now, but
> it's definitely taken some mental readjustment over the last few days.
>
> My wife is big into etsy and all of the hip t-shirt sites, I'm sure we'll have a few
> variations of "Player 1" - "Player 2" ready to go when the big day arrives.

I think Gat nailed it, so not much more to add. I have no kids of my own, but an awesome niece and nephew. The only thing I can give (as a horrible example of an uncle) is to let your family help out as much as possible. Your parents and your wife's parents will kill to spend time with them, and if they offer to watch them for a day/night/week, take advantage of it. Whenever you can rest, do so. Once they are up and walking around, it gets a lot harder.

I have a busted foot, and had to dive to prevent my little nephew from exploring what happens when gravity and a staircase interact.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#271601 - 12/27/11 04:55 PM

First off, congrats. Twins, WOW!

Next....get as much, and enjoy as much sleep as you can NOW. It will be a fleeting memory once the kiddos come along.

Another bit of advice I can't stress enough...as the kids get older, establish a good bedtime routine and schedule. It makes putting them down for bed so much easier on the parents. If you've ever watched any of those "Super-Nanny" type shows where the kids are horrible little brats and the parents are floor mats for the kids, one of the biggest obstacles is bed time. Having a good bedtime routine and schedule will help avoid the kids screaming for 2 hours until they pass out from exhaustion.

Also, many first time parents have the baby sleep in bed with them, or in the same room with them. This is also something to avoid because the child will become dependent on sleeping next to someone and won't be able to put themselves to sleep. A friend of mine had his first son sleeping in bed with them until he was 7 years old. 7 YEARS OLD.

You and the missus will receive a lot more unsolicited advice from family and friends and even complete strangers.

Most of all, kids are a TON of work but also a lot of fun. The first few months will go by in a hazy blur and you will never be more tired in your entire life. After about 4-5 months it starts getting easier.

Best o' luck

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1336