MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

grobda
Tank with very high rate of fire plasma weapon and Quantum shield.
Reged: 06/13/07
Loc: The Zone
Send PM

Arcade Classics on DS Lite / Gameboy Advance - Flash Cartidges ?
#271511 - 12/26/11 02:49 PM

Hi and Merry Christmas !

Just had a load of possibilities open up here with my new prezzy, a Nintendo DS Lite.

But I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Is it worth getting a GBA flash cartridge ? Is there such a thing for the DS it'self ?
Is MAME available for the DS ? There are a few classic arcade collections out there but if I can just load up some roms in MAME then all the better.

Oh, and Happy New Year !

Playing for keeps in Arcadia

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Re: Arcade Classics on DS Lite / Gameboy Advance - Flash Cartidges ? new [Re: grobda]
#271531 - 12/26/11 09:06 PM

I run a "DS Two" flash cart for each of my sons' DSi's. Since the DSi does away with the GBA port, that means the flash cart is the only way to run GBA games in any form.

As for MAME on DS, I don't know. I DO know that there is a MAME4ALL on PSP, so it would follow that portables of similar power should have a port running around somewhere.

grobda
Send PM

Re: Arcade Classics on DS Lite / Gameboy Advance - Flash Cartidges ? new [Re: Mojo2000]
#271532 - 12/26/11 09:41 PM

Hi. Can you put multiple games on to one card / copy legit carts onto one card ?

I found this: MarcaDS + Compatibility ROMS list. I guess this just needs a standard flashable DS card ? The site says it runs arcade ROMS but is not based on MAME source code.

Having thought about this some more I guess I have a choice of using the GBA compatible card port with a flashable card (for more than one game on a card). But then I'd be stuck with the in built Nintendo GBA emulator (apparently they dumped actually putting the GBA chip in there) which A: Does not run Colour GBA games and B: cannot do MP.

Sooo ... a flashable DS lite card would seem to be the way to go, assuming there is a GBA emulator out there. There seem to be some for the NES and other consoles so I should be happy enough.

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

Re: Arcade Classics on DS Lite / Gameboy Advance - Flash Cartidges ? new [Re: grobda]
#271556 - 12/27/11 03:40 AM

Read this and draw your own conclusions.

grobda
Send PM

Re: Arcade Classics on DS Lite / Gameboy Advance - Flash Cartidges ? new [Re: Mojo2000]
#271598 - 12/27/11 04:10 PM

Wow, a computer inside a computer , and the GBA emu ! Thanks for that.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#271637 - 12/28/11 10:42 AM

> Hi and Merry Christmas !
>
> Just had a load of possibilities open up here with my new prezzy, a Nintendo DS Lite.
>
>
> But I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Is it worth getting a GBA flash cartridge ? Is
> there such a thing for the DS it'self ?
> Is MAME available for the DS ? There are a few classic arcade collections out there
> but if I can just load up some roms in MAME then all the better.
>
> Oh, and Happy New Year !

MAME would probably not be able to run much at anything near playable on the older DS/DS Lite, but the DSi might be fast enough to run the simplest of games (ARM9 at 133MHz, probably comparable to an early Pentium II (233MHz) if anything, no idea - the original models were only 67MHz). Same old thing though, you would be stuck with a prehistoric version of MAME from 1998-2000 with all bugs and missing games as standard, and one of the screens would probably not even be usable.

grobda
Send PM

Re: Arcade Classics on DS Lite / Gameboy Advance - Flash Cartidges ? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#271639 - 12/28/11 03:13 PM

I use MameXM on my Nokia 5800 that uses an old MAME version for similar reasons. But I think the 5800 has a more powerful cpu than the DS. This must be why the French emu (link above) uses custom code and only has a few games available. Anyway, I think a lot of classic games were released for the GBA and there are a few arcade compilations for the DS. I just can't help trying to put MAME on every device I have .

EDIT: Found this ...

Quote:

DSTWO- MAME
MAME4ALL DsTWO is a port of MAME 0.37b5 emulator (originally by Nicola Salmoria) for the Nds with Supercard DSTWO.
Date Updated:2010-10-27 Download | Details

This is possible on the Supercard DSTWO flash cart because it has a built in CPU.

Edited by Grobda (12/31/11 04:49 AM)

grobda
Send PM

#271902 - 12/31/11 09:07 PM

I did it ! I ordered the Supercard DSTWO. It looks like a really interesting piece of technology. There are lots of emulators available for it including MAME that use the on-cartridge CPU. Plus I can store all my roms/carts on it. It also has the usual Moonshell and ability to read "ebooks" (really a pdf/txt/image viewer).

Quote:

Chipspain would like to welcome the new DSTWO from supercard. The DSTWO includes a powerful built-in CPU which enables older generation gaming emulatation and more powerful real-time functions. The Supercard DSTWO, with its beautiful operating system named Evolution (EOS) and a powerful on-board processor offers exciting features unique to the card. The Ds two features a powerful new GUI, a real-time guide, an integrated auto-patch database, as well as being one of the few flash carts that allows users to upgrade the core firmware. Most of the programmes will never require any patchs to run. If you are in the market for a sleek and feature-rich flash cart for the Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL, the Supercard DSTWO is the one for you.
Features:

powerful new GUI
a real-time guide (txt or bmp format)
integrated auto-patch database
upgrade the core firmware
Most of the programmes will never require any patchs to run.
Stable and easy to use.
Multiple save slots (up to 4). Simple easy load and save games.
Live ingame cheat search
Support multiple languages: Spanish, English, Chinese, French, Italian, Korean and Japanese.
New emulators support
Hotkeys configurable by user.
four Slow motion level Hardware controlled)
Integrated file manager (copy, paste, cut and delete).
Supports long names.
Ebook viewer (BMP, JPEG, JPG, PNG, TIF, GIF, TXT, PDF).
New intelligent detection function. Speed detection of card and correct saving mode.
Compatible DS, DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL
Compatible V1.4.3

I never realised that the DS could be this super-dooper multi emu device

Mojo2000
Regular
Send PM

#272007 - 01/02/12 01:12 PM

Yeah, I always thought it was kind of strange and interesting that Nintendo didn't take stronger measures against territory controls and grey-market dev-type cartridges. Not nearly as effective or draconian as what Apple does against jailbreaking.

BTW I also always hated having to run Moonshell as a separate entity just to play media files. Finally I could skip that part with DSTwo, with an integrated media reader that also handles several movie formats. (one way this is better than an iPad)

grobda
Send PM

#272012 - 01/02/12 03:59 PM

Still need to look up those cases. I think it's against the law to use these cartridges to store/play DS carts that you don't own. Some people think the entire Supercard is "illegal" but I suspect this is a misnomer.

It's interesting that you mention the iPad. It's one of my pet hates so I won't get started on it here. But studying this page (everything you always wanted to know about the DSTWO but were afraid to ask) told me which CPU it uses.

Quote:

Q: What's the clockspeed of the DSTwo?
A: It uses the Dingoo's a320 cpu which is the Ingenic JZ4732. The standard clockspeed is 360 mhz, but the supercard team could have easily overclocked it to 433 mhz or underclocked it, the clockspeed can also be changed by homebrew developers who are using the DSTwo SDK.

That CPU (Chinese) has some relationship with CopyLeft hardware. Led me onto this.

That little thing is entirely an open sourced, no royalties, no patents design. Very cheap for some company to clone for manufacture. We will soon be seeing the days when this kind of approach will be used to make open devices for games/emulation. CPU's will be made to order .. straight from the MAME code that documents the micro-circuitry. Can you imagine a custom chip with all the arcade board chips on there ready to run ROMS ?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6944