MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Arcade Joystick Recommended Mapping Suggestions
#271489 - 12/26/11 07:32 AM Attachment: 89.jpg 41 KB (3 downloads)

I just got a "X-Arcade Tankstick + Trackball" for Christmas. The layout for each player's buttons are as follows: There are 3 buttons in the top row, then 3 more buttons below them in the middle row, and then 2 more buttons below them in the bottom row. I included a picture of what it looks like.

So my question is, what is the recommended button mapping of this layout. Meaning in MAME, which button on my arcade joystick should I make "Button 1"? Which button should I make "Button 2"? etc.

I can customize it anyway I want, but I just want to know what is the most common way people customize an arcade joystick layout like I have?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Arcade Joystick Recommended Mapping Suggestions new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271490 - 12/26/11 07:50 AM

> I can customize it anyway I want, but I just want to know what is the most common way
> people customize an arcade joystick layout like I have?

Here's the official vendor-supported way, although I can't remember if this is a currently supported config file: http://www.xgaming.com/support/questions...g+File+Download
(has everything except the trackball)

- Stiletto

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Arcade Joystick Recommended Mapping Suggestions new [Re: Stiletto]
#271491 - 12/26/11 08:07 AM

I downloaded the file but it's an .htm file. It says to rename the .htm file to a .cfg file. How do I do that? (I'm using Windows XP 32-Bit)

Can you just tell me what the recommended mapping is though. I'd like to know incase that file doesn't work. I just want to know the recommended mapping for those 8 buttons. The rest of the buttons I am going to customize myself to my preference. But I want to know what is the recommended mapping of those 8 buttons.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Like this.... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271492 - 12/26/11 08:25 AM

(4) (5) (6)

(1) (2) (3)

(7) (8)

And the 1st Player button could be (9)

"(1)" represents the main button you'd use in MAME. Such as when you move through the emulator's menu and make selections.

You can also look in the Control Panel in the XP startup menu. See what buttons are listed on the screen and how they correspond to the actual (real) layout on your control panel by pressing each one.

I will mention, every time I start with a clear (no previous save(?) file) for a game such as a fighter by Capcom - it seems like the top 3 buttons are the kick and the bottom 3 are punch. I always have to reconfigure these in the MAME set-up menu.

eta: Needless to say, I didn't cover anything of what the 2nd player side would be. I've never used... I mean. I ain't go no friends to pway wif.

LEVEL-4

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#271494 - 12/26/11 08:32 AM

> I downloaded the file but it's an .htm file. It says to rename the .htm file to a
> .cfg file. How do I do that? (I'm using Windows XP 32-Bit)

Easy Way:
1. Ensure that "Hide extensions for known file types" is not enabled:
a. Open Windows Explorer/My Computer. Preferably, navigate to the folder the file was downloaded to.
b. At Menu Bar, choose "Tools" and then "Folder Options"
c. Switch to the "View" tab of "Folder Options"
d. Scroll the list to "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck.
e. Click "OK"
2. Rename the file by right-clicking on it and choosing "Rename", or going to the Menu Bar and clicking "File" and then "Rename", or selecting the file and pressing F2, or... or... or...
3. Edit the last three+ letters of the filename, after the last period, deleting the "htm" and replacing with "cfg". Press "Enter"

DOS-Guru Way:
1. Open "Command Prompt"
2. Enter "REN [drive:][path]filename1 filename2" modified for your structure, ex:
C:\>ren "C:\Documents and Settings\OldSchoolGamer\My Documents\Downloads\X-Arcade.htm" "C:\Documents and Settings\OldSchoolGamer\My Documents\Downloads\X-Arcade.cfg"

- Stiletto

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Like this.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#271495 - 12/26/11 08:47 AM

Really? I would have thought that the bottom row would be the main buttons used. I originally had the botton row mapped to MAME's "Button 1" and "Button 2". I never would have thought that the middle row's first two buttons would be the main buttons used. I thought that the bottom two buttons would be the most convenient to play shmups and old classic games that only utilize two buttons. But I guess I was wrong. So basically the bottom row of buttons never gets used because there's not many games that use more than 6 buttons.

Thanks T0M and thank you too Stiletto for informing me how to rename the file.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Like this.... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271496 - 12/26/11 08:53 AM

> Thanks T0M and thank you too Stiletto for informing me how to rename the file.

I haven't checked but there's a good chance this is still the old CFG file format that they're offering. On the other hand, they do say their page was last updated 12/19/2011. Hmm...
More on this: http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Ctrlr_file
- Stiletto

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

How to save configuration mapping layout new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271497 - 12/26/11 09:02 AM

How do I save the configuration mapping layout? Because everything gets cleared/reset if I load a game without my arcade joystick plugged in. So if I load a game without my arcade joystick plugged in, then all the customized mapping configuration gets reset/cleared. So I'd like to beable to save my configuration so I won't have to map the buttons again.

Also, I have a PS1 looking game controller that I've been using before I got my arcade joystick. I'd like to save the mapping configuration of that controller as well.

I'd like to beable to have two configuration files... one file that has my arcade joystick mapping and the other file that has my PS1 mapping. Is there a way of saving a configuration file? If so, how do I do that? I hate when all my customized mapping gets deleted if I load a game without a game controller plugged in.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Like this.... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271503 - 12/26/11 12:11 PM

> Really? I would have thought that the bottom row would be the main buttons used. I
> originally had the botton row mapped to MAME's "Button 1" and "Button 2". I never
> would have thought that the middle row's first two buttons would be the main buttons
> used. I thought that the bottom two buttons would be the most convenient to play
> shmups and old classic games that only utilize two buttons. But I guess I was wrong.
> So basically the bottom row of buttons never gets used because there's not many games
> that use more than 6 buttons.
>
> Thanks T0M and thank you too Stiletto for informing me how to rename the file.

The way I had it 'diagrammed' is how I would have it. And so that arrangement was my suggestion. But if a different way suites you better then feel free to go by that.

I have 6 buttons in the 'typical' fighting game arrangement. The other 2 (e.g. buttons "7 & 8") are at the sides, not below the 6. So that was my reasoning for labeling the way I did. If someone else had a chance to chime before me - they probably would've said differently.

I may edit later and attach a pic of my arcade (styled) controller.

LEVEL-4

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Re: Like this.... new [Re: Stiletto]
#271507 - 12/26/11 01:46 PM

I use the bootom buttons for Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Invaders etc.... Only problem is there is no hyperspace/shields button.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#272025 - 01/02/12 08:04 PM

If the game only uses a couple buttons, I like to config mame so that the button furthest from the joystick is the main action button. It's better ergonomically. Just a tidbit of advice to try out.

And yeah, for games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, Solar Quest, etc, abandon the joystick and map out the buttons similar to the actual arcade games. It's part of the experience.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Like this.... new [Re: sirscotty]
#272036 - 01/02/12 11:20 PM

Quote:

I use the bottom buttons for Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Invaders etc.... Only
problem is there is no hyperspace/shields button.

Hyperspace is for girls.

X Arcade controller has Mame mapping already configured. There is a switch on the back to program different mapping configurations.

For shields on Asteroids Deluxe find a misc button on the X Arcade you do not use.

I wired a switch to the player two button and installed a floor pedal. Great for PSX driving games.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4742