View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

So I have this Dell Mini 9......
#271088 - 12/16/11 04:00 PM

Anyone know how to take a Windows XP SP3 Disk/ISO and get it onto a USB drive so that I can install XP on a Dell Mini 9?

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: So I have this Dell Mini 9...... new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#271089 - 12/16/11 04:16 PM

*Disclaimer* I haven't tried this, but this looks pretty close to other tutorials I've used to make bootable USB drives.

http://komku.blogspot.com/2008/11/install-windows-xp-using-usb-flash-disk.html

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

lordflux
Lurker
Reged: 10/13/03
Send PM

#271113 - 12/16/11 10:04 PM

I followed an online tutorial on how to copy the Windows XP install disc to a USB flash drive along with the boot sector and all that was required to make it run... in the end, it didn't work.

So I did more research to see if other people had run into the same problem. Ultimately, I wasted about 5 hours of researching only to find out that some motherboard/flash drive combinations don't jive when it comes to booting the system.

So I spent $20 to get a USB DVD-ROM drive from NewEgg. Wish I would have done that initially as the drive has actually come in handy several times.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#271114 - 12/16/11 10:24 PM

Could you partition the harddrive and put the XP files on the second partition? Then run set up from there? You would still have to have a bootable USB drive though. If you have access to a Vista or Windows 7 machine it is easy to make a bootable UFD. You would still need the boot.wim file though.

What bootable CDs do you have laying around that we could borrow WinPE from?

This looks easiest...
http://www.techtipsgeek.com/install-windows-from-usb-flash-pen-drive/559/

Edited by redk9258 (12/16/11 10:49 PM)

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: So I have this Dell Mini 9...... new [Re: redk9258]
#271126 - 12/17/11 01:20 AM

I tried an experiment. I used EasyBCD to ad an ISO of Windows XP to a UFD. It loaded up and started to run setup, then blue screened. I might try that WinToFlash to see what it does.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: So I have this Dell Mini 9...... new [Re: redk9258]
#271128 - 12/17/11 01:24 AM

> I tried an experiment. I used EasyBCD to ad an ISO of Windows XP to a UFD. It loaded
> up and started to run setup, then blue screened. I might try that WinToFlash to see
> what it does.

Some BIOS have an "emulation mode" setting for USB flash drives, if they should emulate a floppy, a CD or whatever. Check for a setting like that in your BIOS. I've never used this for anything myself, just something I've noticed on various PCs.

S

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: So I have this Dell Mini 9...... new [Re: Sune]
#271134 - 12/17/11 01:58 AM

I tried WinToFlash. It seems to have worked. You have to choose if it's the first boot or when Windows Reboots to continue setup. I of course did not go past loading the 1st part because I didn't want to wipe out my Windows 7 install ;^)

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

This. new [Re: lordflux]
#271166 - 12/17/11 06:02 AM

> I followed an online tutorial on how to copy the Windows XP install disc to a USB
> flash drive along with the boot sector and all that was required to make it run... in
> the end, it didn't work.
>
> So I did more research to see if other people had run into the same problem.
> Ultimately, I wasted about 5 hours of researching only to find out that some
> motherboard/flash drive combinations don't jive when it comes to booting the system.
>
> So I spent $20 to get a USB DVD-ROM drive from NewEgg. Wish I would have done that
> initially as the drive has actually come in handy several times.

I managed to get a USB install to work once, but it took forever. Save yourself a lot of headache and get a USB DVD drive.

(Dell 270SX, took 3 thumb drives and 9 hours. Didn't help that I was installing onto a CF card either...)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1453