MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

Thread locked? What kind of draconian B.S. is this?
#269977 - 12/01/11 12:22 AM

Why lock threads? It's not like there is tons of activity here and the noise needs to be filtered out. As far as I can tell the only interesting stuff posted here is noise anyway.

I think it would be supremely ironical if this thread was locked. But then again it seems that many people around here find the concept of irony a little too hard to grasp ...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Thread locked? What kind of draconian B.S. is this? new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#269979 - 12/01/11 12:33 AM

I got sick of reading the stupid shit. That thread brought the collective IQ of the board down. On the other hand I don't care that much. If you want to continue to post useless shit there I can unlock it. Hang on... Done. Go have fun.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#269980 - 12/01/11 12:35 AM

Truly unbelievable.

In the other thread you tell people to stop posting already, Then when it's locked, and your wish is finally granted you make a new complaint post bitching that it's locked when you didn't want people posting anyway

The OPs question was finally answered after a bit of a chase, and the direction is was going warranted it being locked IMO.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#269981 - 12/01/11 12:38 AM

> I think it would be supremely ironical if this thread was locked. But then again it
> seems that many people around here find the concept of irony a little too hard to
> grasp ...

Uhh, aren't you the dude who was imploring people not to post on that thread? The mods just enforced your wishes. Now *that's* irony.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: Thread locked? What kind of draconian B.S. is this? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#269987 - 12/01/11 01:41 AM

What thread was he referring to?

I am new to the scene and also new to forums. I've only joined two forums in my life and this is obviously one of them....

But my inexperienced opinion is that no thread should ever get locked. Maybe there could be an exception depending on the circumstances, such as if people were spamming in a particular thread or something like that. But otherwise, locking a thread seems like it's a small form of censorship. Also, a person might not beable to get his 'last word' in if it gets locked. I've seen too many times people having a debate or arguing, and one person makes a really good point and the other person cannot counter with a response/answer because the thread got locked. Also, readers might actually enjoy reading the debate or arguement. And if the readers find the debate/arguement annoying, then they don't have to view/read it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out what thread he was referring to. That circumstance should not have been locked. On the other hand, making a new thread (this one) complaining about it being locked should not have happened as well.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#269989 - 12/01/11 01:49 AM

> Why lock threads? It's not like there is tons of activity here and the noise needs to
> be filtered out. As far as I can tell the only interesting stuff posted here is noise
> anyway.
>
> I think it would be supremely ironical if this thread was locked. But then again it
> seems that many people around here find the concept of irony a little too hard to
> grasp ...

Sorry, I posted in the other thread before I read this one!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Thread locked? What kind of draconian B.S. is this? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#269994 - 12/01/11 03:35 AM

> > I think it would be supremely ironical if this thread was locked. But then again it
> > seems that many people around here find the concept of irony a little too hard to
> > grasp ...
>
> Uhh, aren't you the dude who was imploring people not to post on that thread? The
> mods just enforced your wishes. Now *that's* irony.

It was a joke, and apparently NOBODY understood it. I specifically pointed out in that post how I enjoy irony, the irony in question being people posting to threads saying that nobody should post to the thread. Then I demonstrated how I enjoyed it by doing the exact same thing, calling out that it was what I was doing.

Apparently nobody understood the post.

I tried to explain, not that this is important in any way shape or form, I admit it's totally just noise, and after spending a few minutes composing the reply, was disallowed from posting it because the thread was locked. I became annoyed and started this thread.

EDIT:

The thread in question has been unlocked now, and I have essentially repeated the above there.

Edited by Bryan Ischo (12/01/11 03:43 AM)

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Thread locked? What kind of draconian B.S. is this? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#269995 - 12/01/11 03:37 AM

> I got sick of reading the stupid shit.

There is an easy solution to this: stop reading it if you don't like it. Seems kind of obvious to me but ... guess not.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#270004 - 12/01/11 05:25 AM

Obviously not when it's part of my duty to keep bullshit off the boards seeing as though I'm an admin here. Get a clue. That thread is a stain.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#270005 - 12/01/11 05:28 AM

> Obviously not when it's part of my duty to keep bullshit off the boards seeing as
> though I'm an admin here. Get a clue. That thread is a stain.

It'll be better when it's a memory, and this'n for that matter.

LEVEL-4

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#270006 - 12/01/11 05:41 AM

> Obviously not when it's part of my duty to keep bullshit off the boards seeing as
> though I'm an admin here. Get a clue. That thread is a stain.

Would you also be responsible for keeping profanity and overly aggressive flaming off of the website? If so you may want to recuse yourself.

Bugfinder
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Send PM

#270007 - 12/01/11 05:44 AM

Smit, I'm still wondering how the hell it all went south. Is there a consensus it was that my fault, after all? For my initial post digging into an old story and my response to R. Belmont, because I found his reply useless?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#270008 - 12/01/11 05:48 AM

You're officially on thin ice. Let me be clear that I absolutely could not care less what you think is an ideal message board, how this board should be, what you think of my cursing etc. You're straight up acting like a dickhead right now and if you keep going with laying your balls out on the table I will chop them off in the form of a ban. Try me.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Thread locked? What kind of draconian B.S. is this? new [Re: Bugfinder]
#270009 - 12/01/11 05:49 AM

It doesn't really matter. It's a stain now is all.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Thread locked? What kind of draconian B.S. is this? new [Re: Bugfinder]
#270010 - 12/01/11 05:53 AM

> Smit, I'm still wondering how the hell it all went south. Is there a consensus it was
> that my fault, after all? For my initial post digging into an old story and my
> response to R. Belmont, because I found his reply useless?

Nah; it's the same crap that happens all the time here:

Well-meaning poster steps into a minefield when they post something that invokes some ancient history about a flamewar that happened years ago. Then some MAME devs post something that rubs someone the wrong way; there is a response critical of the MAME dev, and then a bunch of other posters fall all over themselves with adoration of MAME devs and disbelief that anyone would ever write anything critical of a MAME dev ever.

Then some people complain about all of these unreadable posts that have now increased the average post count per day on these forums from 1.3 to 1.4.

Bugfinder
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Send PM

#270011 - 12/01/11 05:57 AM

All right, let's forget about it then. By the way, sorry about that thing you corrected, I didn't think it was a problem.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#270012 - 12/01/11 06:03 AM

I'm sorry that things turned so ugly. To spare anyone else any more of this, I'll use private messages on this subject from here on out.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2149