View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

F***ING RAID!
#269916 - 11/30/11 03:30 AM

I just lost a bunch of pictures on my raid array!! I had a backup, EXCEPT pictures of my Dad's funeral! The files are there, but corrupt as hell!!

Anyone know of a freeware utility to recover borked jpegs? Hex editors can read the files.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: F***ING RAID! new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#269941 - 11/30/11 01:09 PM

> I just lost a bunch of pictures on my raid array!! I had a backup, EXCEPT pictures of
> my Dad's funeral! The files are there, but corrupt as hell!!
>
> Anyone know of a freeware utility to recover borked jpegs? Hex editors can read the
> files.

Recovering corrupted / overwritten files is almost always a hell of a lot of work and messing round for very little success. If ever I need to recover deleted and/or partially overwritten files, I boot from a DOS formatted thumb drive containing tools like Media Tools Pro. Leave this running in peace over night, and it gives you a list files that it can supposedly recover (but it's rarely *all* the files that are "missing"), and it's very rare that it can actually recover much without there being some corruption somewhere.

You've got the added layer of the RAID corruption / failure, so I don't rate your chances highly.

Are each of the drives still working in your array ? Or is one or more dead ? Are they all identical ? Do you have a spare ? Can you swap circuit boards between a spare and the failed drive to try and get things running again ? Were you using a RAID level with redundancy and recovery ? e.g. RAID 5 ? If so, your chances will improve significantly.

It sounds like you have recovered at least some data already. Are the file names matching your original names ? Or are they generic file names with clumps of data, perhaps from multiple files ?

Sure hope you get your files back. Maybe someone will stop by with some great tools / suggestions that will help. I hope so.

Good luck !!

Moose

Gemini
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

RAID recovery new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#269954 - 11/30/11 06:06 PM

Here are a few links:
http://www.runtime.org/
http://www.raidrecoveryguide.com/
http://www.diskinternals.com/raid-recovery/
http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/

I've used GetDataBack from Runtime Software, but I've never tried their RAID software.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Obvious "RAID" meaning rant omitted. (nt) new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#269957 - 11/30/11 07:06 PM

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Re: F***ING RAID! new [Re: Moose]
#269993 - 12/01/11 03:29 AM

So all of these supposed redundancy benefits of RAID are shite? One type of RAID is supposed to protect against data loss, but when it happens, chances of recovery are infinitesimal?? Screw that.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: F***ING RAID! new [Re: Mojo2000]
#269997 - 12/01/11 03:42 AM

> So all of these supposed redundancy benefits of RAID are shite? One type of RAID is
> supposed to protect against data loss, but when it happens, chances of recovery are
> infinitesimal?? Screw that.

The OP didn't say what level of Raid was used.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: F***ING RAID! new [Re: Mojo2000]
#270031 - 12/01/11 01:29 PM

> So all of these supposed redundancy benefits of RAID are shite? One type of RAID is
> supposed to protect against data loss, but when it happens, chances of recovery are
> infinitesimal?? Screw that.

RAID (besides RAID0) protects a single mode of data loss: sudden catastrophic disk failure. Besides that, all it does is give you incremental performance gains. If the host writes bad data to the RAID, it will faithfully stripe and mirror it. If a disk in the set starts doing bad reads, there's no way to know which disk is good and which is bad. If you want protection against these kinds of data loss, RAID isn't the answer. You want a storage pool solution with block checksum, journalling, copy-on-write, snapshots and full redundancy. Filesystems like ZFS and BTRFS aim to provide this, with tradeoffs elsewhere.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

UPDATE - F***ING RAID! new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#270044 - 12/01/11 05:09 PM

What had happened is I had a RAID0. Something wasn't responding for a time. Updated the bios on the MB, and the raid came back. BUT, this is where the pictures got hosed.

I work with servers all the time. The ONLY time raid has ever saved me was when we had a disk array with 14 drives in a RAID5. RAID0 and RAID1 is hopeless, and have been burnt by it more times than not.

On a sad note, I have not been able to recover jack! Tried all kinds of jpeg recovery/raid recovery utilities. All of them can't do anything.

Sorry Dad...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: UPDATE - F***ING RAID! new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#270061 - 12/01/11 10:02 PM

> RAID0 and RAID1 is hopeless, and have
> been burnt by it more times than not.

RAID 0 is strictly a performance thing, there is no redundancy at all. It's actually less safe than just a single drive, because if either drive fails, the whole thing is borked.

> On a sad note, I have not been able to recover jack! Tried all kinds of jpeg
> recovery/raid recovery utilities. All of them can't do anything.
>
> Sorry Dad...

Have you considered professional help? Data recovery can get expensive, but if the pics are irreplaceable, maybe it's worth it? It sounds like the bits are probably all still there, it's just that they're scattered across two drives and the RAID doesn't know how to put them back together. I don't know much about it, but maybe a pro can rebuild the array properly and save the data?

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Re: UPDATE - F***ING RAID! new [Re: DMala]
#270062 - 12/01/11 10:16 PM

The files are all "intact" if you would like to call it that.

Opening a file in a hex editor, a jpeg file starts with ffd8ff and ends with ffd9. I might try a couple more files to see if I can pick something up. But even using this approach doesn't give me good results.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: UPDATE - F***ING RAID! new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#270102 - 12/02/11 07:55 PM

> The files are all "intact" if you would like to call it that.
>
> Opening a file in a hex editor, a jpeg file starts with ffd8ff and ends with ffd9. I
> might try a couple more files to see if I can pick something up. But even using this
> approach doesn't give me good results.

Have you tried JPEG Snoop? I picked up that one years ago when trying to rip graphics from 'read-only' PDF and Word docs that don't allow you to save/export anything, worked like a charm. Basically, it reads out a binary file until it comes across the JPEG header, then it loads the image data into RAM (allowing you to export it). The thing even detects thumbnails inside progressive JPEG files.

Of course, it won't be able to do much if the actual files were fragmented, so you might be stuck if you can't access the files in any other way besides a hex editor (or data ripper).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 832 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1398