MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Lilwolf
Lurker
Reged: 01/10/04
Send PM

Problem with playstation->joystick input?
#267888 - 11/03/11 02:45 PM

I have an old playstation joystick and a playstation -> usb adapter. I'm trying to get it to work in mame with little success. I get inputs in the controlpanel - game so its setup for windows. I can use it to control DGJukebox so generically its working.

In mame I set joystick 1 in the ini file. I see the joystick 1 button 1 defaults in the key config so things are setup that way. But when I try and use a control, or to change a control to a different button, it's not recognizing the button.

I tried with the latest official build, plus I tried my own build (and also tried forcing direct input to true... drawing for straws here).

Anyone with an idea? This is for a touchscreen cabinet I build for my wifes friend. I really don't want to buy a keyboard encoder for a single exit key.

Thanks
Drake

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Problem with playstation->joystick input? new [Re: Lilwolf]
#267908 - 11/03/11 06:35 PM

> I have an old playstation joystick and a playstation -> usb adapter. I'm trying to
> get it to work in mame with little success. I get inputs in the controlpanel - game
> so its setup for windows. I can use it to control DGJukebox so generically its
> working.
>
> In mame I set joystick 1 in the ini file. I see the joystick 1 button 1 defaults in
> the key config so things are setup that way. But when I try and use a control, or to
> change a control to a different button, it's not recognizing the button.
>
> I tried with the latest official build, plus I tried my own build (and also tried
> forcing direct input to true... drawing for straws here).
>
> Anyone with an idea? This is for a touchscreen cabinet I build for my wifes friend. I
> really don't want to buy a keyboard encoder for a single exit key.
>
> Thanks
> Drake

Are you talking about a PSone controller? I have tried this before with a homemade hitbox I made and the radio shack PSone to usb did not work with MAME.Best bet for MAME is a Xbox 360 controller for joypads.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#267910 - 11/03/11 07:35 PM

I have a PSX+N64 USB converter and it works just fine with MAME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXfyBoRQYaw

It only works after Windows 7 detects the hardware and successfully installs driver software for it.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#267925 - 11/03/11 11:34 PM

Some of those adapters work well with MAME, some don't at all. It's a bit of a crapshoot given most don't have a real brand and they're all Chinese junk anyway. If you have a 360 or PS3 the wired controllers for those systems work well. (Wireless 360 controllers also can work but you have to buy a receiver dongle that Microsoft sells).

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#268168 - 11/07/11 07:51 PM

fyi i use one of these below (its ok with ps1 or ps2 pads) and it works perfect in mame (both old and new ui versions, under win xp, no drivers needed, xp auto detects it and installs it in control panel automatically)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#268209 - 11/08/11 09:01 PM

> I have an old playstation joystick and a playstation -> usb adapter. I'm trying to
> get it to work in mame with little success. I get inputs in the controlpanel - game
> so its setup for windows. I can use it to control DGJukebox so generically its
> working.

If it works in the Windows control panel it should work in MAME as well.

Try with a clean installation of MAME with no cfg and ini files, copy a random game.zip to the roms folder, set joystick to 1 in mame.ini and try again.

I have several different Playstation-USB adapters and they all work in MAME once they're installed properly. Some don't need drivers and some don't work with Vista/Windows 7 but I have never had the issue you're describing, if it appears in the game controller control panel it should basically work with anything that can use a joystick.

Make sure you have DirectX 9 installed, use the DX web updater thing.

If you're really desperate and nothing works, try building SDLMAME for Windows.

S

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Problem with playstation->joystick input? new [Re: B2K24]
#268450 - 11/12/11 09:25 AM

> I have a PSX+N64 USB converter and it works just fine with MAME.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXfyBoRQYaw
>
> It only works after Windows 7 detects the hardware and successfully installs driver
> software for it.

Ah, a Lik-Sang 'Boom' adaptor from days gone. How is the soldering job on your one? The one I bought back in 2002 didn't even work from the shop, took it back and got another one which also didn't work properly (the D-Pad would intermittently get stuck on down/right and no buttons worked). After taking it apart, two of the wires on the PCB (PSX connector) simply fell off due to lack of solder. What also didn't help was the fact that every single wire was the exact same colour.

I eventually ripped apart an old 9 pin (DB25 type, not DE9) serial ribbon cable and removed the outer 2 wires since the adaptor only uses 7, using this in place of the original short wires. I removed the PSX port from its original position in the case, wired it to the end of the serial cable and modified the PSX port to fit the original DB25 sheath. The hole in the case was actually filled in using a Pringles lid, since I didn't have anything else which was transparent.

If I can find it in my labyrinth of junk, I will chuck a photo on here, however I haven't seen/used it since around 2006 when I got my Logitech Dual Action.

On the Nintendo 64 side, I never actually had any trouble with the Boom adaptor, aside from finding that only proper Nintendo controllers would work with it (I had a knockoff controller which would work perfectly on the N64 but go haywire in the adaptor).

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Problem with playstation->joystick input? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#268465 - 11/12/11 08:59 PM

> Ah, a Lik-Sang 'Boom' adaptor from days gone. How is the soldering job on your one?

I'm not an expert in that area, so I don't really know.
Everything looks really neat and clean on the inside though.

Someone recommended it too me years ago so I jumped on ebay and bought 2 from some seller that had 100% feedback and both units work great and have done so for years.

On the back of the unit it says XK-PC2004
On the board it says N64-USB-S5 2005. 10.5

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: Problem with playstation->joystick input? new [Re: grog]
#269800 - 11/29/11 12:06 AM

I agree with Commando.These are good I use them quite a bit now and they work well with emulation.They should be cheap on Ebay or Amazon.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3086