MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0
#267686 - 11/01/11 11:20 AM

SITE UPDATES - October 31, 2011

Mr. Do's Arcade: Site update in progress

In-Game Artwork: 8 new games; 8 games updated

Other Arcade Artwork: 50 new games; 31 games updated

Finally...

I've been wanting to update the site for quite a while, actually. Finally got around to doing it. On the outside, it may just look like new colors and a slightly different design, but on the backend, all the code is cleaner, and it will be easier for me to add and update stuff now (which was the big thing for me). If anyone notices if I "broke" anything, let me know.

More than five months since the last artwork update; sorry about that. Part of that was due to the site update, and part due to "other stuff." Anyway, it's here now, so let's get started:

• Mikonos from Zona Arcade brings us some more goodies. Today, we have Prehistoric Isle and Dyger from the BYOAC / CAG artwork, Juno First, and the Journey bezel has been updated to the real thing (the last one had the bottom cut off). Thanks to Gene at Vintage Arcade Superstore for loaning that one out.
  • TrevEB noticed that the bezel for Us Vs. Them is almost identical to M.A.C.H. 3. So with photo evidence in hand, he took the current artwork for M3 and adjusted it for UVT.
  • Trevor also scanned the bezel for Warp Speed some time ago. Antny took it upon himself to complete the task, and even started working on it before the game was added to MAME.
  • Roberto Fresca added some new roulette games to MAME over the past few months that work better with artwork, so he created it. Grab the files for re800v1, re800v3, and kas89.
  • Thanks to inspiration from kelly, I gave the Mr. Do bezel the proper treatment. I taught myself how to use the pencil tool properly in Photoshop, and based on the scan from the BYOAC/CAG artwork, and various photos, I'm finally happy with the end result. We also learned that the original Mr. Do bezel had a pink border around the screen; the blue border version is for conversions. This updates the files for mrdo, docastle, sraider, and jjack. Mr. Do also includes the marquee, which is based on zorg's vector work, the BYOAC/CAG version, and photos, to make sure that I got the colors and alignment on the inside of the marquee correct. I'll add the control panel and instruction sticker later, once I finish them correctly.
  • Grab the files for Seawolf and Seawolf II. I took the uncropped artwork from the "other" page and stuck them in there, for reference.
  • Earlier this year, code was added to MAME for marquees and control panels. Metal Slug 2 has been updated to finally use this, so you can see what kind of plans I have for this. It includes every piece of artwork on the cabinet (except for sideart). Default is all artwork on. If you wanna just use the normal bezel view that has always been around, simply turn off marquees and control panels. There is also views included that only show the marquee, control panel, and instruction card. These are there for people that have a second monitor to display this info to, or if you just wanna pause the game and read the instructions, they are now available. I plan to also have moving sticks and buttons on the control panels later, so stay tuned.

On to the other artwork... back in February, hatefulgravy pointed me to this site here. With the advent of widescreen monitors, everyone's always heard complaints of the gamescreen not taking up all space on the monitor. Well, here was a guy that wasn't happy that the artwork wasn't taking up the whole monitor, so he took exisiting arcade artwork, and created custom widescreen artwork for 80 of his favorite games. After downloading everything and checking it out, I thought it was pretty cool. I contacted hausjam to ask his permission to add it to the "other artwork" page, and he agreed. So head on over to the other artwork page and check it all out.

So back the the site update now... I don't ever want to go six months again without an update. Mostly, it's not fair for contributors that finish artwork to have to wait so long before artwork is officially "released." So now that the update is done, I think it's safe to say that I will now be able to "release" artwork soon after it is completed, instead of letting it pile up and having to do a whole bunch of it at once (which kills me).

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

MASH
MASH
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Germany
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 new [Re: Mr. Do]
#267691 - 11/01/11 02:00 PM Attachment: prehisle.png 205 KB (1 downloads)

Thanks for the update...

Prehistoric Isle looks superb!

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

#267696 - 11/01/11 02:46 PM

Great work as always.

> SITE UPDATES - October 31, 2011
>
> Mr. Do's Arcade: Site update in progress
>
In-Game Artwork: 8 new games; 8 games updated
>
Other Arcade Artwork: 50 new games; 31 games updated
>
>
> Finally...
> I've been wanting to update the site for quite a while, actually. Finally got around
> to doing it. On the outside, it may just look like new colors and a slightly
> different design, but on the backend, all the code is cleaner, and it will be easier
> for me to add and update stuff now (which was the big thing for me). If anyone
> notices if I "broke" anything, let me know.
> More than five months since the last artwork update; sorry about that. Part of that
> was due to the site update, and part due to "other stuff." Anyway, it's here now, so
> let's get started:
>
> Mikonos from Zona Arcade brings us some more goodies. Today, we have Prehistoric
> Isle and Dyger from the BYOAC / CAG artwork, Juno First, and the Journey bezel has
> been updated to the real thing (the last one had the bottom cut off). Thanks to Gene
> at Vintage Arcade Superstore for loaning that one out.
> TrevEB noticed that the bezel for Us Vs. Them is almost identical to M.A.C.H. 3. So
> with photo evidence in hand, he took the current artwork for M3 and adjusted it for
> UVT.
> Trevor also scanned the bezel for Warp Speed some time ago. Antny took it upon
> himself to complete the task, and even started working on it before the game was
> added to MAME.
> Roberto Fresca added some new roulette games to MAME over the past few months that
> work better with artwork, so he created it. Grab the files for re800v1, re800v3, and
> kas89.
> Thanks to inspiration from kelly, I gave the Mr. Do bezel the proper treatment. I
> taught myself how to use the pencil tool properly in Photoshop, and based on the scan
> from the BYOAC/CAG artwork, and various photos, I'm finally happy with the end
> result. We also learned that the original Mr. Do bezel had a pink border around the
> screen; the blue border version is for conversions. This updates the files for mrdo,
> docastle, sraider, and jjack. Mr. Do also includes the marquee, which is based on
> zorg's vector work, the BYOAC/CAG version, and photos, to make sure that I got the
> colors and alignment on the inside of the marquee correct. I'll add the control panel
> and instruction sticker later, once I finish them correctly.
> Grab the files for Seawolf and Seawolf II. I took the uncropped artwork from the
> "other" page and stuck them in there, for reference.
> Earlier this year, code was added to MAME for marquees and control panels. Metal
> Slug 2 has been updated to finally use this, so you can see what kind of plans I have
> for this. It includes every piece of artwork on the cabinet (except for sideart).
> Default is all artwork on. If you wanna just use the normal bezel view that has
> always been around, simply turn off marquees and control panels. There is also views
> included that only show the marquee, control panel, and instruction card. These are
> there for people that have a second monitor to display this info to, or if you just
> wanna pause the game and read the instructions, they are now available. I plan to
> also have moving sticks and buttons on the control panels later, so stay tuned.
>
> On to the other artwork... back in February, hatefulgravy pointed me to this site
> here. With the advent of widescreen monitors, everyone's always heard complaints of
> the gamescreen not taking up all space on the monitor. Well, here was a guy that
> wasn't happy that the artwork wasn't taking up the whole monitor, so he took
> exisiting arcade artwork, and created custom widescreen artwork for 80 of his
> favorite games. After downloading everything and checking it out, I thought it was
> pretty cool. I contacted hausjam to ask his permission to add it to the "other
> artwork" page, and he agreed. So head on over to the other artwork page and check it
> all out.
> So back the the site update now... I don't ever want to go six months again without
> an update. Mostly, it's not fair for contributors that finish artwork to have to wait
> so long before artwork is officially "released." So now that the update is done, I
> think it's safe to say that I will now be able to "release" artwork soon after it is
> completed, instead of letting it pile up and having to do a whole bunch of it at once
> (which kills me).

Janez
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/25/10
Send PM

#267699 - 11/01/11 03:18 PM

Great work Mr. Do!

I think I found a little problem with the new artwork for "Mr. Do!" (the actual game).
It doesn't find the file "mrdo_taitoconv.png"

MAME says:
Unable to load component bitmap 'mrdo_taitoconv.png'.

A file "mrdo_taitoconv_bezel.png" exists, so it is an easy fix, rename that file or fix "mrdo.lay" accordingly.

Regards.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#267702 - 11/01/11 03:51 PM

Thank you Mr.Do, & everyone who contributes this wonderful work, which adds so much to the MAME experience. I very much appreciate it. Very nice update, your site looks great!

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 new [Re: MASH]
#267710 - 11/01/11 07:03 PM

Thank you Mr DO! the 16:9 artwork looks great!

The site looks great as well!

Edited by mesk (11/01/11 11:05 PM)

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#267725 - 11/01/11 10:34 PM

The site looks great. Nice update. I hope marquees and CPOs can be added as time goes on. I'm still chipping away at APB (albeit very slow). I missed more on it than I originally thought. Real life work has been insane...I guess I should feel blessed in todays times. I hope to have a few hours on it this weekend.

Your work really enhances the whole experience....thank you

Anime-niac
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Loc: Georgia, USA
Send PM

#267741 - 11/02/11 12:11 AM

I'm getting a 404 error on mrdo0003.png

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 - SMALL FIX new [Re: Mr. Do]
#267757 - 11/02/11 03:34 AM

SITE UPDATES - November 1, 2011

There was an error with mrdo and with one of its screenshots. Both have been updated, along with the DAT files. Both were just naming errors, so you can just grab the DATs and let ClrMAME fix it.

Thank you to anime-niac and janez for the info

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

#267780 - 11/02/11 11:39 AM

I am really happy and pleased with this update, thank you, great job!

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

SecretAgentMan
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Illinois (Central)
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 - SMALL FIX new [Re: Mr. Do]
#267784 - 11/02/11 01:29 PM Attachment: mrdo.jpg 179 KB (1 downloads)

> SITE UPDATES - November 1, 2011
> There was an error with mrdo and with one of its screenshots. Both have been
> updated, along with the DAT files. Both were just naming errors, so you can just grab
> the DATs and let ClrMAME fix it.
>
> Thank you to anime-niac and janez for the info

Thanks, but are you sure the files are up to date? The "Upright Artwork Taito Conv" screen does not seem to be loading correctly for me.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

Jack Buck

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 - SMALL FIX new [Re: SecretAgentMan]
#267793 - 11/02/11 03:43 PM

> > SITE UPDATES - November 1, 2011
> > There was an error with mrdo and with one of its screenshots. Both have been
> > updated, along with the DAT files. Both were just naming errors, so you can just
> grab
> > the DATs and let ClrMAME fix it.
> >
> > Thank you to anime-niac and janez for the info
>
> Thanks, but are you sure the files are up to date? The "Upright Artwork Taito Conv"
> screen does not seem to be loading correctly for me.

I just checked both files from the site, and they are up to date.

Easy fix, though. In mrdo.zip, rename mrdo_taitoconv_bezel.png to mrdo_taitoconv.png

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 new [Re: mesk]
#267801 - 11/02/11 05:45 PM

404 error on the new rally x link (nrallyx) in other artwork

also a quick question.Im assuming that you cannot set 2 art paths in mame.ini,1 for regular artwork & the other for other artwork and have them both as available options at the same time?

Edited by mesk (11/02/11 06:04 PM)

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#267804 - 11/02/11 06:00 PM

> 404 error on the new rally x link (nrallyx) in other artwork

Fixed. Thanks!!

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#267807 - 11/02/11 06:22 PM

Journey looks Awesome! Nice update.
Warp Speed. well done. Looks brand spanking new. just like the original.

Now a question about MrDo! Bezel

The "dot screen pattern" that can be seen when you zoom in on various areas of the bezel.
In particular, you see it in the stripes located bottom right, however the dot screen is absent in the stripes located bottom left.
Why is that?
The screening is on and off in various locations throughout the bezel.
Why would the original print have come out that way?

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#267813 - 11/02/11 07:53 PM

> also a quick question.Im assuming that you cannot set 2 art paths in mame.ini,1 for
> regular artwork & the other for other artwork and have them both as available options
> at the same time?

if for "as available options at the same time" you mean that you can choose at runtime either a regular artwork or one of the 'other' pack, then no. the first zipfile that gets found in one of the paths gets loaded.

the closest thing you can do is:
1. manually edit the layout file inside the zip to make the 'other' arts available and then merge the two zipfiles
2. use command line (or a .bat script) to launch the emulator using the artpath you want

the former implies that you cannot use MrDo's datfile to rebuild the artworks you modified (because of the additional files and the modified .lay file)
the latter implies that you cannot switch between regular arts and other arts without exiting from MAME and re-entering

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 new [Re: etabeta]
#267817 - 11/02/11 08:07 PM

Thanks for the info,eta.I think I will go with door number 1.

Anime-niac
MAME Fan
Send PM

#267833 - 11/03/11 12:06 AM

Found a couple of dat problems. Just to make sure I had the current dats, I re-downloaded them today. Both are dated Oct 31.

In mame_artwork_dat the following pops up:

Code:

Set:	Mr. Do!
Name: mrdo
File: E:\Emulation\MAME\Extras\artwork\mrdo.zip

Do you want to rename the following wrong named ROMs?

mrdo_taitoconv.png -> mrdo_taitoconv_bezel.png

According to a post you made in this thread, the first name is correct.

In mame_artwork_snaps_dat mrdo0003.png is incorrectly labeled as mrdo0004.png.

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 new [Re: MASH]
#267834 - 11/03/11 12:07 AM

> Thanks for the update...
>
> Prehistoric Isle looks superb!

Beautiful indeed! Thanks a lot for your effort, Do.

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 new [Re: Anime-niac]
#267836 - 11/03/11 12:29 AM

> Found a couple of dat problems. Just to make sure I had the current dats, I
> re-downloaded them today. Both are dated Oct 31.
>
> In mame_artwork_dat the following pops up:
> Set: Mr. Do!
> Name: mrdo
> File: E:\Emulation\MAME\Extras\artwork\mrdo.zip
>
> Do you want to rename the following wrong named ROMs?
>
> mrdo_taitoconv.png -> mrdo_taitoconv_bezel.png
> According to a post you made in this thread, the first name is correct.
>
> In mame_artwork_snaps_dat mrdo0003.png is incorrectly labeled as mrdo0004.png.

It would help if I actually uploaded the new DAT's, huh?

Try again now. They're REALLY updated this time.

ChuckH
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 Metal Slug 2? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#267842 - 11/03/11 01:51 AM

"Earlier this year, code was added to MAME for marquees and control panels. Metal Slug 2 has been updated to finally use this, so you can see what kind of plans I have for this. It includes every piece of artwork on the cabinet (except for sideart). Default is all artwork on. If you wanna just use the normal bezel view that has always been around, simply turn off marquees and control panels. There is also views included that only show the marquee, control panel, and instruction card. These are there for people that have a second monitor to display this info to, or if you just wanna pause the game and read the instructions, they are now available. I plan to also have moving sticks and buttons on the control panels later, so stay tuned."

I'm running MAMEUI32 0.141 and Metal Slug 2 artwork doesn't work correctly now with the update. I'm assuming it's because of the new code you mention in MAME?
Thanks again for the huge update.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 Metal Slug 2? new [Re: ChuckH]
#267865 - 11/03/11 05:00 AM

> "Earlier this year, code was added to MAME for marquees and control panels. Metal
> Slug 2 has been updated to finally use this, so you can see what kind of plans I have
> for this. It includes every piece of artwork on the cabinet (except for sideart).
> Default is all artwork on. If you wanna just use the normal bezel view that has
> always been around, simply turn off marquees and control panels. There is also views
> included that only show the marquee, control panel, and instruction card. These are
> there for people that have a second monitor to display this info to, or if you just
> wanna pause the game and read the instructions, they are now available. I plan to
> also have moving sticks and buttons on the control panels later, so stay tuned."
>
> I'm running MAMEUI32 0.141 and Metal Slug 2 artwork doesn't work correctly now with
> the update. I'm assuming it's because of the new code you mention in MAME?
> Thanks again for the huge update.

Yes. Changes were made in 0.142u4. (Probably should add that to the FAQ, huh?)

The artwork file should still work; you just won't have the marquee or control panel as available options.

Anime-niac
MAME Fan
Send PM

#267874 - 11/03/11 09:19 AM

All good now. Thanks.

SecretAgentMan
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Illinois (Central)
Send PM

#267875 - 11/03/11 10:26 AM

> Try again now. They're REALLY updated this time.

Ha, I knew it.

MAMu_
Icon Master
Reged: 01/06/04
Send PM

#267880 - 11/03/11 12:35 PM

Hi Mr Do, just my humble opinion :
In the downloads section, you should duplicate this part for easier and more user friendly navigation :
"Found 820 artwork files. Currently sorted by Game Name.

Navigation: -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>]"

One time as it is, at the top of the list, and one more time at the end of the list...

My 2 cents

Regards, MAMu_

Great update anyway, I really prefer that new design

MAMu_
Icon Master
Reged: 01/06/04
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 new [Re: MAMu_]
#267881 - 11/03/11 12:43 PM

And as I see that you have a "other artwork" section, you can grab the ones I created a long time ago, if you want it, and add these to your section...

There were a few artworks I created (mainly from the flyers artworks) that were :
-Gunbird
-Strikers 1945
-Strikers 1945 II
-Twin Cobra

Not sure if you already added these to your section or not.. anyway it's there, and you're welcome to use them...

hhtp://icons.mameworld.info in the 1st "extras" section.

Regards mate

PS: surely have a look at the lay files, as since that time, it surely doesn't fit anymore to new MAME layout system...

Edited by MAMu_ (11/03/11 12:45 PM)

ChuckH
MAME Fan
Send PM

#267904 - 11/03/11 06:18 PM Attachment: 0001.png 107 KB (1 downloads)

Do,
I understand that the CP only, Marquee only, Instruction only views will not work but with the regular Upright view I now get this:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

ChuckH
MAME Fan
Send PM

#267905 - 11/03/11 06:18 PM Attachment: 0000.png 72 KB (1 downloads)

Instead of this:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

AnimalBear
100% MAME Fan Forever!
Reged: 04/29/10
Loc: Portugal, Porto
Send PM

#267907 - 11/03/11 06:26 PM

No bugs here everthing is ok.

But mr.do does the same thing like SecretAgentMan.

Regards.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#267928 - 11/04/11 12:31 AM

> Do,
> I understand that the CP only, Marquee only, Instruction only views will not work
> but with the regular Upright view I now get this:

Correct.

The old file had the marquee setup as a bezel type element. The current artwork has the marquee setup as a marquee type element, and the control panel as a cpanel type element.

Any future artwork that has something defined as those two types of elements will not display prior to 142u4.

So the two choices are:
1) Update MAME.
2) Change the LAY file; anywhere that you have "marquee element=" or "cpanel element=" would need to be changed to "bezel element=". Same goes for "/marquee" or "/cpanel" to "/bezel"

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Mr. Do's Arcade 2.0 new [Re: MAMu_]
#267929 - 11/04/11 12:32 AM

> Hi Mr Do, just my humble opinion :
> In the downloads section, you should duplicate this part for easier and more user
> friendly navigation :
> "Found 820 artwork files. Currently sorted by Game Name.
>
> Navigation: -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>]"
>
> One time as it is, at the top of the list, and one more time at the end of the
> list...
>
> My 2 cents
>
> Regards, MAMu_
>
> Great update anyway, I really prefer that new design

Lovely... I thought I had done that actually. Guess I forgot. I'll get to it next week. Thanks!!!

ChuckH
MAME Fan
Send PM

#267940 - 11/04/11 03:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I changed the lay file like you said and now it works fine.
I don't want to update MAME anymore because of the slow boot times on my ancient computer. I may try 4-play soon to see how that goes but I like MAMEUI32. Maybe it's time for a new computer.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#267961 - 11/04/11 06:24 AM

> I don't want to update MAME anymore because of the slow boot times on my ancient
> computer. I may try 4-play soon to see how that goes but I like MAMEUI32. Maybe it's
> time for a new computer.

Your missing out by not updating MAME. Do yourself a favor and stop using UI's and Unofficial derivatives.

If you set the proper settings in mame.ini you can simply launch mame or mame64 and browse game listings by typing.

If you must use a Front End

mameload
http://mameload.mameworld.info/

QMC2
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qmc2/

GameEX
http://www.gameex.com/

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

#268278 - 11/09/11 06:24 PM

Just to let you know:
Most namcos22 games don't have their outputs hooked up yet, but they're pretty simple. Once you plan to add artwork for those games, post missing outputs on MameTesters and it'll be added quickly.

Usually it's just lamps, sometimes more advanced stuff like 7seg display for ace driver.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4368