View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Space Invaders
#266610 - 10/17/11 10:09 AM

I know this is no longer where bugs are reported. But I'm not really sure what this subforum is exactly for. Anyways, I'm not reporting a bug, but I am curious about why this is happening...

The original Taito's 1978 Space Invaders/Space Invaders M (Parent ROM set = invaders) sometimes crashes both MAME and MAMEUI upon loading the game. I am using MAME 0.143 and MAMEUI 0.142u2. And the game crashes both of those about 50% of the time. Can anyone shed some light on this, as to why this is happening?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Space Invaders new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#266624 - 10/17/11 04:23 PM

> The original Taito's 1978 Space Invaders/Space Invaders M (Parent ROM set = invaders)
> sometimes crashes both MAME and MAMEUI upon loading the game. I am using MAME 0.143
> and MAMEUI 0.142u2.

What OS? 32 or 64-bit? Are you using HLSL? What does -verbose say?

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Space Invaders new [Re: R. Belmont]
#266656 - 10/18/11 02:17 AM

I am using Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit

What's HLSL and verbose?

I am NOT using any video filters if that is what you mean.

This is the only game that crashes for me, upon loading it, 50% of the time. I have no clue why this happens.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#266660 - 10/18/11 03:04 AM

> I know this is no longer where bugs are reported. But I'm not really sure what this
> subforum is exactly for.

Since you had posted this in the MAME Testers forum originally...

Speaking "exactly", the organizers of MAMETesters.org (mainly Fujix and Tafoid) claim that their MAMEWorld.info subforum is now only to be used if you have an issue with their bug reporting website. Originally it was used for reporting emulation bugs in MAME, but not any more.

To report bugs in MAME, please go to http://www.mametesters.org and register. As always, please search before submitting.

If you want to possibly explore discussion about a bug, you might try the MAME Chat subforum. But formal reporting should pretty much ONLY be done at http://www.mametesters.org

Do you understand now?

- Stiletto

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Space Invaders new [Re: Stiletto]
#266663 - 10/18/11 03:11 AM

Yes, thank you for the explanation. Just a suggestion... maybe the title of the "MAME Testers" subforum should be changed. It is very misleading.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#266665 - 10/18/11 03:14 AM

> Yes, thank you for the explanation. Just a suggestion... maybe the title of the "MAME
> Testers" subforum should be changed. It is very misleading.

I honestly think at this stage, because they want to keep the old posts around for reference, they should just lock the subforum and all threads in the subforum - and get "help with using MAMETesters.org" requests from users another way.

- Stiletto

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#266668 - 10/18/11 03:44 AM

Before filing a bug report with MT, I would recommend downloading 143 binary and extracting into an empty directory or even secondary HDD if possible.

execute mame -cc to create a fresh mame.ini
then set your paths/options to your preference.

Crashing 50% of the time and the end result not being consistent leads me to believe it's a software/hardware problem on your end and not an actual bug that would warrant a report.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Space Invaders new [Re: B2K24]
#266669 - 10/18/11 03:51 AM

I am using binary 0.143. And I deleted all the .ini files, nvram files, etc. and it still crashes 50% of the time. And it's not my computer's fault because I recently just booted my computer and it's like it just came out of the factory. As I've said, it crashes 50% of the time when I use the official commandline MAME 0.143. It also crashes 50% of the time when I use MAMEUI 0.142u2. It is the ONLY game that crashes for me.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#266670 - 10/18/11 03:54 AM

For what it's worth I'm not getting any crashing in limited testing. When you say "crashing", what exactly do you mean? Is there any messages? Is it a Windows dialog box that is appearing?

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Space Invaders new [Re: Tafoid]
#266672 - 10/18/11 03:57 AM

It's the ONLY game that crashes for me.

Yes, I get a windows error message. Those messages that say "Do you want to send the error report to Microsoft" etc.

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#266674 - 10/18/11 04:03 AM

> It's the ONLY game that crashes for me.
>
> Yes, I get a windows error message. Those messages that say "Do you want to send the
> error report to Microsoft" etc.

It's something with windows then .. I would check your "invaders.zip" file for fitness. Uncompress the file content and recompress those contents as a .ZIP and replace your original copy and see if that improves the situation.

Be sure you are testing with command-line 0.143, using "mame invaders" in a command-line window to test it.

Otherwise, I have no idea what the problem might be.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#266676 - 10/18/11 04:12 AM

The game was even retrieved from multiple sources to make sure that the game wasn't a bad/corrupt game. I tried unzipping and rezipping the game like you said and the problem still occurs. But since it seems like I'm the only one having this problem, it's not worth reporting to MAME Testers.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#266677 - 10/18/11 04:14 AM

What about the samples?

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#266678 - 10/18/11 04:18 AM

> The game was even retrieved from multiple sources to make sure that the game wasn't a
> bad/corrupt game. I tried unzipping and rezipping the game like you said and the
> problem still occurs. But since it seems like I'm the only one having this problem,
> it's not worth reporting to MAME Testers.

There could also be other things.. you might have a bad artwork or samples file (if you have gotten those). If you are claiming you've tried in a completely clean environment (new folder, using no mame.ini file) and are still getting the intermittent error, the only constant is the files you are accessing.

If anyone else has issues with Space Invaders (Set: invaders) working, please post here.

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Space Invaders new [Re: Stiletto]
#266683 - 10/18/11 04:50 AM

> > Yes, thank you for the explanation. Just a suggestion... maybe the title of the
> "MAME
> > Testers" subforum should be changed. It is very misleading.
>
> I honestly think at this stage, because they want to keep the old posts around for
> reference, they should just lock the subforum and all threads in the subforum - and
> get "help with using MAMETesters.org" requests from users another way.
>
> - Stiletto

Not sure what the future will hold. It might be worth archiving the forum message and closing it completely, like you said. For now, I've placed it in full moderation mode.. we'll see how that goes.

I'm honestly not sure what else I can do. The forum's description plainly states no bug reporting, a post/sticky in the forum restates the same thing. Keeping it around is simply not worth it if people are not reading all the stop signs

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#266689 - 10/18/11 06:00 AM

How about changing the subforum's title to avoid confusion. When people see the title of the subforum "MAME Testers", it misleads them.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#266690 - 10/18/11 06:07 AM

> How about changing the subforum's title to avoid confusion. When people see the title
> of the subforum "MAME Testers", it misleads them.

Changing the name of a forum that has been around longer than a lot of people, would cause even more confusion then actually be productive.

Before posting in a new forum one has never visited before, one should read the sticky threads
(they are in all capps for a reason)

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#266696 - 10/18/11 07:46 AM

All my artwork and samples have come from the 'official' Mr. Do and Twisty. I deleted the corresponding artwork and samples but that didn't seem like it had anything to do with it. It seems that the official commandline MAME has stopped crashing and runs the game fine now. But MAMEUI 0.142u2 still crashes the game 50% of the time. Maybe it was just a coincidence that the official commandline MAME had crashed a couple times running that game. I was mostly testing the game on MAMEUI 0.142u2. So when I said both MAME and MAMEUI crashed the game 50% of the time, I was mostly referring to MAMEUI 0.142u2. Ok, so now the official commandline MAME seems to run the game fine. I tested it 20 times and no problems. But MAMEUI 0.142u2 still crashes the game 50% of the time. It is probably a bug in MAMEUI 0.142u2 that has been not been noticed for that version. Would somebody be so kind enough to download MAMEUI 0.142u2 and run the game a bunch of times to see if it crashes. I bet ya its that particular version (0.142u2) that crashes the game 50% of the time. If you are kind enough to test it out, make sure you download the "u2" (MAMEUI 0.142u2)

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Space Invaders new [Re: B2K24]
#266697 - 10/18/11 08:37 AM

> > How about changing the subforum's title to avoid confusion. When people see the
> title
> > of the subforum "MAME Testers", it misleads them.
>
> Changing the name of a forum that has been around longer than a lot of people, would
> cause even more confusion then actually be productive.
>
> Before posting in a new forum one has never visited before, one should read the
> sticky threads
> (they are in all capps for a reason)

It never ceases to amaze me how many people miss the stickys or the big bolded multi colored warnings right at the top of forums. Blows my mind.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Space Invaders new [Re: italie]
#266699 - 10/18/11 10:10 AM

(Posted by italie:
It never ceases to amaze me how many people miss the stickys or the big bolded multi colored warnings right at the top of forums. Blows my mind.)

Well when the subforum's title is "MAME Testers", people new to the forum will continue to post bugs there. You'd think you'd get the hint since "so many" people have posted bugs there. Common sense would say to change the totally misleading title of the subforum.

(Posted by B2K24:
Changing the name of a forum that has been around longer than a lot of people, would cause even more confusion then actually be productive)

Obviously, there already is confusion. The title is rediculously misleading.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#266712 - 10/18/11 01:59 PM

> (Posted by italie:
> It never ceases to amaze me how many people miss the stickys or the big bolded multi
> colored warnings right at the top of forums. Blows my mind.)
>
> Well when the subforum's title is "MAME Testers", people new to the forum who are
> color blind and can't read
will continue to post bugs there.
> You'd think you'd get the hint since "so many" people
> have posted bugs there. Common sense would say to change the totally misleading title
> of the subforum.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#266715 - 10/18/11 02:19 PM

> Not sure what the future will hold. It might be worth archiving the forum message and
> closing it completely, like you said. For now, I've placed it in full moderation
> mode.. we'll see how that goes.
>
> I'm honestly not sure what else I can do. The forum's description plainly states no
> bug reporting, a post/sticky in the forum restates the same thing. Keeping it around
> is simply not worth it if people are not reading all the stop signs

Why not rename it to "MAME Testers Forum < Archives > "

Lock everything up too anyway... Unless replies to posts are still allowed. Or only allow posting rights to certain people (like yourself)... if that's possible with this forum software.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Space Invaders new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#266718 - 10/18/11 02:52 PM

If everything that was listed as a bug there has been transferred to MAMETesters.org, why not just delete the whole MAME Testers forum. I can certainly see both points. A forum named MAME Testers would seem like a place to discuss bugs in MAME. Of course the sticky's should be read too.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#266722 - 10/18/11 04:28 PM

> I am using Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit
>
> What's HLSL and verbose?
>
> I am NOT using any video filters if that is what you mean.
>
> This is the only game that crashes for me, upon loading it, 50% of the time. I have
> no clue why this happens.

-verbose means add "-verbose" to the command line when running MAME. MAME will output a bunch of diagnostic text. So e.g. "mame -verbose invaders" instead of "mame invaders".

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

Re: An end to support new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#266727 - 10/18/11 05:45 PM

> All my artwork and samples have come from the 'official' Mr. Do and Twisty. I deleted
> the corresponding artwork and samples but that didn't seem like it had anything to do
> with it. It seems that the official commandline MAME has stopped crashing and runs
> the game fine now. But MAMEUI 0.142u2 still crashes the game 50% of the time. Maybe
> it was just a coincidence that the official commandline MAME had crashed a couple
> times running that game. I was mostly testing the game on MAMEUI 0.142u2. So when I
> said both MAME and MAMEUI crashed the game 50% of the time, I was mostly referring to
> MAMEUI 0.142u2. Ok, so now the official commandline MAME seems to run the game fine.
> I tested it 20 times and no problems. But MAMEUI 0.142u2 still crashes the game 50%
> of the time. It is probably a bug in MAMEUI 0.142u2 that has been not been noticed
> for that version. Would somebody be so kind enough to download MAMEUI 0.142u2 and run
> the game a bunch of times to see if it crashes. I bet ya its that particular version
> (0.142u2) that crashes the game 50% of the time. If you are kind enough to test it
> out, make sure you download the "u2" (MAMEUI 0.142u2)

Ok. I am convinced this is a "UI" only issue. Look here for answers: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=252375

To sum it up in short, go to Default Game Options -> Controllers -> Default Input Layout and selecting "Sample" from the drop down menu. This should stop the crashes. If it doesn't, try disabling "cheats". Beyond that, someone else will need to help you.

There is a reason why MAMEUI is no longer officially supported or developed - there are far too many weird bugs and annoyances that frustrate both the people using it and the people who try to help people figure out the issues with an external program that is essentially NOT MAME. MAMEUI, while it carries the MAME name, is not "MAME". It is a front-end carefully (or not so carefully) grafted into the MAME core. It may contain the MAME core from that particular version, but the UI itself is beyond anything the MAMETesters will consider to be a bug as it is not within MAMEDEV's control.

Given the state of MAMEUI in recent months, it is very close to be prohibited as a valid means for testing, confirming and/or reporting bugs at MAMETesters. You seem to be (judging from your profile information) educated enough to be able to use an external front-end rather than the the integrated (UI) approach.

While I have the soap box, if I might make a suggestion... rather than you asking questions about every little thing about MAME as you have over the first 6 days being part of this site and it's multiple forums, simply take some time on your own to research and experiment first! Part of the fun of MAME is the initial learning process and then the eventual satisfaction of understanding it to the point of being in a position to help others with their assorted issues.

To get a strong foothold regarding MAME, I'd suggest visiting and digesting the following sites:

-EASYEMU's Mame Guide
-MAMEDEV FAQ

Also, check this forum via a search related to your issue, being a specific as possible by searching relative keywords. In general, you often find an answer here because someone else had your same (or similar) problem.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: An end to support new [Re: Tafoid]
#266772 - 10/19/11 05:33 AM

I think you figured it out. I think it was the cheats that was crashing Space Invaders for MAMEUI 0.142u2. When I disabled the cheats, it doesn't crash anymore. It's weird because that is the only game that crashes for me when the cheats are enabled.

Could this be the reason why it was crashing... I added a new cheat code to the file of Pugsy's cheat.zip. To add a new cheat code, I had to unzip Pugsy's cheat.zip. After adding a new cheat for Metal Slug, I rezipped the cheat.zip file. What I found weird was that the original cheat.zip file was about 25 mb. But after unzipping it and adding a new cheat to it, once I rezipped it the file size dropped to only 1.5 mb. I was suprised to see that. I don't know how the file size could decrease that much. If anything, it should have increased slightly since I added a new cheat code to it. When I rezipped the file, I didn't use any special options that would super compress the file. All I used was the program 7-zip. I right clicked on the cheats and chose the option "add to cheat.zip". So why did the file size of cheat.zip decrease drastically to just 1.5 mb when the original size was about 25 mb? Do you think that this could have been causing the problem? (I didn't add any new cheats to the Space Invaders game. I only added one new cheat to the game Metal Slug and I know I added the cheat information to the file the correct way)

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#266773 - 10/19/11 05:40 AM

Well the rezipping of Pugsy's cheat.zip was not the problem. I just downloaded a fresh copy of Pugsy's cheat.zip and enabled cheats for MAMEUI 0.142u2 and it still crashed while trying to load Space Invaders. So I guess whenever I play Space Invaders, I'll either have to disable cheats for MAMEUI 0.142u2 or I'll just play it on the official MAME 0.143. It must be a bug in MAMEUI 0.142u2 that causes Space Invaders to crash sometimes when cheats are enabled.

Thank you for taking the time to try to help me.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#266774 - 10/19/11 05:44 AM

Why do you need to cheat at Space Invaders?

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: An end to support new [Re: redk9258]
#266775 - 10/19/11 05:46 AM

I don't need to cheat for that game. I just always have the cheats enabled in the default game options. So I'll just have to remember to disabled the cheats before playing.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#266777 - 10/19/11 05:56 AM

You can do it by game or driver.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: An end to support new [Re: redk9258]
#266993 - 10/22/11 08:11 AM

> You can do it by game or driver.

How do you disable cheats for an individual game in MAMEUI? All I know how to do is enable/disable cheats for all games by going to OPTIONS > DEFAULT GAME OPTIONS > MISCELLANEOUS > []ENABLE GAME CHEATS

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

#267000 - 10/22/11 03:54 PM

Right click a game and choose properties. There's a Misc. tab there with a check box that will enable or disble cheats at the game level.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: An end to support new [Re: Llaffer]
#267034 - 10/23/11 03:26 AM

> Right click a game and choose properties. There's a Misc. tab there with a check box
> that will enable or disble cheats at the game level.

Thanks for the tip

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3128