There is no sin except stupidity.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Game Transfer Phenomena new [Re: DR]
#265244 - 09/28/11 04:10 PM

> http://www.lastwordonnothing.com/2011/09/22/consensual-hallucination/

Looking for red shells while driving? Some people must not be allowed to play videogames without medical supervision. One thing is closing your eyes and see tetrominoes falling after a large marathon, but enacting videogames with real objects in public is so less than 10 years old.

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

Re: Game Transfer Phenomena new [Re: BIOS-D]
#265246 - 09/28/11 07:02 PM

> > http://www.lastwordonnothing.com/2011/09/22/consensual-hallucination/
>
> Looking for red shells while driving? Some people must not be allowed to play
> videogames without medical supervision. One thing is closing your eyes and see
> tetrominoes falling after a large marathon, but enacting videogames with real objects
> in public is so less than 10 years old.

Well... once I was playing mahjong on a real table with real tiles and 3 other people. I declared "kan" and was surprised for a moment because the kan-dora tile did not flip over by itself... well, I was kind of tired, anyway.

I wonder how much of this "game transfer" is due to lack of sleep.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#265248 - 09/28/11 08:07 PM

> > http://www.lastwordonnothing.com/2011/09/22/consensual-hallucination/
>
> Looking for red shells while driving? Some people must not be allowed to play
> videogames without medical supervision. One thing is closing your eyes and see
> tetrominoes falling after a large marathon, but enacting videogames with real objects
> in public is so less than 10 years old.

I dunno, I think I've experienced a milder version of this. In my last apartment, the laundry room was one building over. You had to walk a fair distance down an alley to get to it. One night I was playing some Red Orchestra while the laundry was running. When I went down to put everything in the dryer, I suddenly realized that I was unconsciously checking the corners in the alley as I walked past, looking for enemy solders hiding in the shadows. It's like once your brain gets used to certain patterns, it wants to hang on to those patterns for a while, even after the situation changes.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Game Transfer Phenomena new [Re: DMala]
#265253 - 09/28/11 08:59 PM

After playing many hours of Half Life, and HL2, whenever I would take the stairs at my work instead of the elevators, I sub-consciously would check the level above my own as if I was looking for turrets or enemy soldiers.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Game Transfer Phenomena new [Re: Hizzout]
#265262 - 09/28/11 10:11 PM

> After playing many hours of Half Life, and HL2, whenever I would take the stairs at
> my work instead of the elevators, I sub-consciously would check the level above my
> own as if I was looking for turrets or enemy soldiers.

I understand your points, in fact I'm familiar with those flash passing patterns too. However there's a long way between a short not lucid moment and unconsciously trying to reach a banana peel so you can flip a real car while driving. Better for her to not hold a gun and love FPS, because by when she realizes it will be too late.

BTW, about the professor who made the paper mentioned, he thinks it's rubbish and blown out of proportion.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-21-game-transfer-phenomena-authors-defence

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#265267 - 09/28/11 10:30 PM

> After playing many hours of Half Life, and HL2, whenever I would take the stairs at
> my work instead of the elevators, I sub-consciously would check the level above my

Or headcrabs!

Actually, no, I've never experienced this. I have had many game related dreams though.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#265285 - 09/29/11 05:02 AM

http://xkcd.com/161/

lordflux
Lurker
Reged: 10/13/03
Send PM

Re: Game Transfer Phenomena new [Re: DR]
#265292 - 09/29/11 08:34 AM

Personally, video games stir my imagination. There have been times when I've devoted hours and hours into a single gameplay session and when I get up, I think, "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

For example, I played Singularity for almost 9 hours straight and completed it. Then I thought about all of the cool scenarios that could be played out using the time shifting effects in the game. Drove to Pizza Hut and on the way I imagined street lamps, buildings, parked cars being suddenly aged. Did I blur the lines between reality and fantasy? No. Were my creative juices flowing? Sure. Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Game Transfer Phenomena new [Re: Allnatural]
#265302 - 09/29/11 11:43 AM

> Actually, no, I've never experienced this. I have had many game related dreams
> though.

I was just thinking about that, I've had no real life game experiences but I think I'll try and include some game related fun the next time I have a lucid dream.

There is no sin except stupidity.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Game Transfer Phenomena new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#265315 - 09/29/11 04:12 PM

Ha ha...

I'm usually a pretty safe driver, but after sessions of Life For Speed I want to pass EVERYONE and take turns at 40mph while pulling the e-brake. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are like that though after playing racing games.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#265332 - 09/29/11 06:12 PM

> Ha ha...
>
> I'm usually a pretty safe driver, but after sessions of Life For Speed I want to pass
> EVERYONE and take turns at 40mph while pulling the e-brake. I'm pretty sure a lot of
> people are like that though after playing racing games.

Ooh, Live for Speed is cool. I haven't played in a long time.

I did find myself sitting at red lights, idly planning routes across sidewalks and through storefronts after playing a lot of GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas. That was more just daydreaming, though, than any game induced hallucination.

Hizzout
Send PM

Does this count? new [Re: DR]
#266295 - 10/14/11 12:13 AM

Dude takes his rail shooter seriously...

cyberpsyke
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/21/12
Send PM

#287223 - 05/21/12 07:39 PM Attachment: gtp comic banner.png 462 KB (0 downloads)

Hello!!!
Thanks for this tread
Many of you have shown interest to share your experiences about Game Transfer Phenomena (GTP).

Currently, I am looking for participants for my third study about GTP. This is an explorative survey about GTP for my PhD project. The main objective of this survey is to find out what GTP are more common among gamers and GTP main characteristics. To complete the survey takes approximately 10 minutes.

Here
www.gametransferphenomena.com/survey.html

you can access the survey, visit my blog and you are very welcome to join my GTP group on Facebook.

Angelica

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2175