View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

pinzach
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/13/11
Send PM

Started a MAME blog with some ratings by Genre
#264626 - 09/13/11 09:49 PM

Have begun plowing through all games to give a starting point for others who discover MAME in the future (I only got heavy into it within the last year).

I welcome comments and I know that there are many games missing and many that could easily move up or down the list if I played them again. But here it is anyway... Do with it what you will. The ratings and definitions are described in the first blog post.

http://mamezach.blogspot.com/

Rygar9
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/08/08
Send PM

Re: Started a MAME blog with some ratings by Genre new [Re: pinzach]
#264640 - 09/14/11 12:39 AM

It's a nice idea, and overall I think it has value...

...Except I think your catagory of graphics is kind of unfair. Defender is the perfect example, it would appear on many people's top 10 arcade games ever lists, and at one time it was revolutionary for it's graphics, but your scoring system doesn't reflect it as such.

This is going to be true of many titles, some of the greatest gameplay examples ever released in Arcades are going to fall short in your list because they were early age games.

To be honest, if we were to aggregate a "Top 10 arcade games ever" list, by the scoring system you're using, most of those titles would fall in the middle because of their dated graphics.

I respectfully suggest you might want to consider removing the catagory, or removing it from the overall score of the game to a secondary column with a different scoring method. The latter would still let those concerned with flash pick games by flash, and those concerned with gameplay pick the games that are just downright fun to play even if they're very dated.

Plus, your rating system will fail over time. At some point, the graphics you give 5's to now will be regarded as 1's because technology has surpassed them as it did Defender. Graphics in this relation is very arbitrary and eventually time will give every game in the list a 1 for that catagory.

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Started a MAME blog with some ratings by Genre new [Re: Rygar9]
#264644 - 09/14/11 01:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback, and I can't really argue with any of your points. I knew going in that it is impossible to compare graphics from different eras - but I was dumb enough to try anyway. I guess the way I graded the graphics was based on how much I enjoyed looking at the game and how much the visuals impacted my enjoyment of the game. There are old vs new, cutesy vs realistic and other comparisons, but in the end, I just went with my gut on how it looked (and for gameplay, how it played). I love numbers, so I'm sure I'll tweak it in the future (and gameplay already accounts for 2/3 of the total). Mostly, I just wanted to start another conversation about great games and give newbies some games to check out they may not be familiar with. I have more categories coming soon and will try to do a game-of-the-day feature.

Keep in mind also that these are JUST my top games, I have way more than this rated that fall below my "favorites".

Pinzach

Rygar9
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/08/08
Send PM

#264657 - 09/14/11 05:43 AM

I definitely applaud what you're aiming to do. There's an entire generation of gamers out there now who never got to play these games in their "natural environment", and it's a real shame.

I personally look at it like Hollywood is today. Ben Hur, Citizen Kane, Psycho, Poltergiest, and so many others aren't most people's "Cup of tea". But the Directors, the Actors, that make today's great movies studied those older entries.

This isn't any different IMO, tomorrow's game designers need to study at the feet of yesterday's great designers, and many of these games have more "Quality" to them than 99% of what will be released in a year in the present.

So all of your effort may very well inspire just one future great designer, as will all of the MAME team's efforts that made it possible.

I just worry that people may miss true gems, like Missle Command, Defender, Robotron, Bezerk, Tempest, Asteroids, Star Wars, and so many others if graphics is a component of ratings.

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Started a MAME blog with some ratings by Genre new [Re: Rygar9]
#264676 - 09/14/11 03:42 PM

Added my favorite Omni/Field/Walking Shooters to go along with the Vert and Horz Shooters lists that were already there.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#264678 - 09/14/11 04:03 PM

Everyone has an opinion. Neat to see somebody else's.
But when Raiden and Twin Cobra get the lowest scores on your vertical shooter list, I question what your criteria is. Skipped over heavy hitters Sky Shark, Twin Eagle & Sky Soldiers entirely.

You also gave Dead Connection a bad score in Omni Shooters, which is confusing.

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Started a MAME blog with some ratings by Genre new [Re: yaggy]
#264682 - 09/14/11 05:06 PM

Thanks for the input.

I think you misunderstand the list/criteria. These are JUST the games I LOVE. Many other games fall below these scores on my list. I gave Dead Connection a 4/5 for graphics and 4.5/5 for gameplay. That's pretty damn high. Yes there are games above it, but out of ALL the games of this genre in MAME, these are at the very top. You just don't see all the tons of games below these because of where I cut off the list.

Same goes for Raiden & Twin Cobra. They are the bottom of THIS list which is my Top Favorites (so they are still amongst the best as far as I'm concerned). There are actually hundreds of Vertical Shooters I've rated that are below them that you don't see.

PZ

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#264686 - 09/14/11 06:05 PM

OK, makes sense now.

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

#264731 - 09/15/11 05:09 PM

Started the Game of the Day feature. Have a couple so far and hopefully (as the name implies), I will do one daily.

Pinzach

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

#264767 - 09/16/11 02:04 PM

Added my Favorite Cross-Hair Shooters to the blog today....and continue to do the Game of the Day.

Pinzach

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

#264871 - 09/18/11 03:48 AM

Have started fleshing out the site. Daily posts about games, devices and sites. Also, favorite lists, and now a list of some helpful links. Hope it helps you enjoy MAME.

Pinzach

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

#264896 - 09/18/11 06:05 PM

Added my favorite platformers and a bunch of links (and today's GOTD).

Pinzach

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

#265311 - 09/29/11 03:31 PM

Added a new list of my favorite games today... Best Miscellaneous games.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#265323 - 09/29/11 05:12 PM

By the way, some of the game bugs you complain about have been fixed in newer versions (shadows in Game Paradise, sound in Batsugun and related games, etc, etc).

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Started a MAME blog with some ratings by Genre new [Re: R. Belmont]
#265329 - 09/29/11 05:47 PM

> By the way, some of the game bugs you complain about have been fixed in newer
> versions (shadows in Game Paradise, sound in Batsugun and related games, etc, etc).

Not sure what bugs you are referring to, I don't remember writing about any. But I know that the Lords of MAME are always working on improving their awesome creation, thanx.

Reluctant to upgrade because my machine is working so well right now and 99% of everything plays great.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#265345 - 09/30/11 12:43 AM

> Not sure what bugs you are referring to, I don't remember writing about any. But I
> know that the Lords of MAME are always working on improving their awesome creation,
> thanx.

The pictures/video of Game Paradise you have up on the post about it depict broken graphics emulation, especially wrt the shadows. It's not like that in current MAME.

I don't know specifically which of your posts depicts Batsugun with incorrect emulation, Lord Voldemort wanted someone to pass that on to you.

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Started a MAME blog with some ratings by Genre new [Re: R. Belmont]
#265348 - 09/30/11 12:57 AM

Thanks. Those aren't my pics and vids. Not making my own vids, just grabbing something I can find on youtube or the web in general. Not a lot of choice of pics and vids on the web (of any decent size/resolution) with some of the games, sorry if I bummed anyone out by posting an old vid someone took with a previous version.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#265352 - 09/30/11 02:47 AM

Your chart of vertical shooters (http://mamezach.blogspot.com/2011/09/yo.html) lists Batsugun as having "sound issues" and apparently even docks points for it. Batsugun has had complete sound emulation since 0.141u1, which came out in January.

pinzach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Started a MAME blog with some ratings by Genre new [Re: AWJ]
#265356 - 09/30/11 04:09 AM

> Your chart of vertical shooters (http://mamezach.blogspot.com/2011/09/yo.html) lists
> Batsugun as having "sound issues" and apparently even docks points for it. Batsugun
> has had complete sound emulation since 0.141u1, which came out in January.

Thanks for the info. I'm running .139. I should make that clear on the blog. I'm not sure of exactly what things I need to do/update to get the current version. And I'm clearly too much a wuss to risk screwing up my rig. I've read many posts of dudes not updating correctly and then nothing worked right.

Any simple explanation of what I would need to do to update??? I'm running the hyperspin front end.

Thanks.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#265357 - 09/30/11 04:22 AM

> Any simple explanation of what I would need to do to update??? I'm running the
> hyperspin front end.
>
> Thanks.

Well, switch out your mame.exe or mame64.exe for starters to 0.143 or the latest 0.143u6.

create fresh mame.ini due to some settings changing (HLSL)

Use ClrMamePro and create profile then load mame from version 0.143 or u6 (whichever you will use) manage your set.

Then grab MAME XML from hyperlist and overwrite your
exitsing one in hyperspin database path.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1823