MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

I'm currently running on two hours of sleep...
#263524 - 08/31/11 04:39 PM

which I got on *monday* night.

Also, I had a job interview this morning. That was fun.

Need insomnia cure kthnx.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

I do that regularly new [Re: Allnatural]
#263783 - 09/03/11 02:51 AM

I typically need two extra large regular dunkins coffees to help me get thru the day. Course I start dozing off as soon as I get home. Someday I'll get a full eight hours worth of sleep. I'm amazed I haven't crashed the car yet.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

It's not for lack of trying... new [Re: Andrew]
#263796 - 09/03/11 05:02 AM Attachment: 358059896_exweeklytaishu110325_r02_122_554lo.jpg 692 KB (1 downloads)

> I typically need two extra large regular dunkins coffees to help me get thru the day.
> Course I start dozing off as soon as I get home. Someday I'll get a full eight hours
> worth of sleep. I'm amazed I haven't crashed the car yet.

I'm in bed at the same time every night, I just can't get to sleep. Like last night...again (Wednesday was fine though). At this point I'm sleeping every other night. *ugh*

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Send PM

Re: It's not for lack of trying... new [Re: Allnatural]
#263799 - 09/03/11 05:30 AM

> I just can't get to sleep

Oh, I get it now. I have the opposite problem - staying awake.

Wife is mad cuz I dozed most of the time since I got home. Now it should be bedtime but I just opened a throwback Pepsi and made three english muffins. So I'm gonna be wide awake for the next few hours. Prolly go to sleep around 2 or 3.

Then we'll start the whole cycle over again. I might need an intervention soon.

--

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: It's not for lack of trying... new [Re: Andrew]
#263802 - 09/03/11 05:46 AM

> > I just can't get to sleep
>
> Oh, I get it now. I have the opposite problem - staying awake.
>
> Wife is mad cuz I dozed most of the time since I got home. Now it should be bedtime
> but I just opened a throwback Pepsi and made three english muffins. So I'm gonna be
> wide awake for the next few hours. Prolly go to sleep around 2 or 3.
>
> Then we'll start the whole cycle over again. I might need an intervention soon.

I find my problem is weekends and vacations. I'll sleep in a little in the morning, so I'll go to bed a little later, which causes me to sleep even later the next morning, and so on until I'm going to bed at 3am. Then I have to go back to work or do other stuff early, and I'm still stuck in that cycle.

It's been a long time since I could function on 2 hours of sleep, though. 5 and I'm dragging badly, any less and I'm a disaster. Caffeine makes me jittery and sick, but no more alert. What really saves me is that I'm the zen master of sleeping on the bus. I'm usually out before the bus pulls back into traffic, and I pop awake about 30 seconds before it pulls into the last stop. I do the same on the way home. I've only missed my stop twice in four years, and both times I got off at the next one. It's an extra 30 minutes of sleep each way (more if traffic is bad), and it seems to make all the difference.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Send PM

Re: It's not for lack of trying... new [Re: DMala]
#263806 - 09/03/11 06:16 AM

> I do the same on the way home

I might be taking the commuter rail into town starting next month so I might have a chance to try that. A little nap here and there would help. Can't do it at home cause the wife feels its taking away time with her.

--

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: It's not for lack of trying... new [Re: Andrew]
#263815 - 09/03/11 07:39 AM

> I might be taking the commuter rail into town starting next month so I might have a
> chance to try that. A little nap here and there would help.

One warning for the commuter rail, don't slide down, prop your knees up on the seat in front of you, and fall asleep like that. I did that once on the way down to Lakeville. At the end of the line, the conductor must have missed me and nobody bothered to wake me up. I snapped awake on an empty train, jumped out of my seat, and suddenly realized I couldn't tell what was holding me up. I almost literally dragged myself off the train two seconds before they closed the door and rolled back into town, then spent ten minutes on the platform in agony as my legs came back to life. Not very fun.

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

#263820 - 09/03/11 09:44 AM

> > I typically need two extra large regular dunkins coffees to help me get thru the
> day.
> > Course I start dozing off as soon as I get home. Someday I'll get a full eight
> hours
> > worth of sleep. I'm amazed I haven't crashed the car yet.
>
> I'm in bed at the same time every night, I just can't get to sleep. Like last
> night...again (Wednesday was fine though). At this point I'm sleeping every other
> night. *ugh*

I feel ya. I've been battling rampant insomnia for about 8 months now. It's horrible. Much of my insomnia is due to insane amounts of stress, sleep-cycles that have been screwed up due to various "all-nighters" earlier in the year, and then lately the hurricane coming by and knocking out power. With no way to really be able to tell what time it is, my body developed its own sleep cycle and that has totally screwed me up. I'm now used to being awake when it's dark, and asleep when it's light out. Psychologically, it's been rough. I've tried to use sleep-aids and whatnot, but those don't really give me good sleep. They just make me feel really "not with-it" the next day. Healthwise, averaging about 4 hours of sleep each night every day for the past 8 months is probably what has led to me getting sick more often, and getting sore from doing menial things. (As my body is not getting any time to repair itself).

If you figure out a way to beat the insomnia, please let me know. I've cut out all caffeine in my life and that helps a bit, but has made it so that my heart beats insanely rapidly as if I've smoked a pound of crack if I do happen to accidentally ingest caffeine.

Right now I'm awake because I finally got power back in my house at about 7:00 p.m. this past evening. I tried going to sleep, but it wasn't happening. Brain was just too active. This may be one of those "stay up all night" nights for me. I hope that if it is indeed the case, I can avoid taking a nap tomorrow and just go to bed early. The physical fatigue should help me fall asleep sooner and perhaps get back on a normal sleep cycle come Tuesday when work resumes.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

Re: It's not for lack of trying... new [Re: Jdurgi]
#263829 - 09/03/11 02:38 PM

> Much of my insomnia is due to insane amounts of stress...

It's definitely stress for me at this point. A coincidence has become a self-serving problem. You have a couple of bad nights, and you spend the next day (and night) worrying that you won't be able to sleep this time. Repeat ad nauseam...

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#263867 - 09/04/11 12:44 AM

> I'm in bed at the same time every night, I just can't get to sleep. Like last
> night...again (Wednesday was fine though). At this point I'm sleeping every other
> night. *ugh*

I've got to read for at least an hour before my brain calms down enough to sleep. But, if the book is a goodie, then this can keep me reading for much longer than an hour.

My problem is having way too much on my plate: working 2 full time jobs (days, nights, and weekends), plus a bunch of part time ones, while studying part time doing some courses, and also working towards a masters. And yet when I do find a spare 5 mins somewhere, I cannot relax and instead bid on projects on web sites like vWorker (I've completed more than 200 of these projects over the last 6 years). Somehow I juggle all these balls and never drop one. (I guess the trick is not to think about it - just immerse yourself in it and do it). Talk about being a glutton for punishment. Not sure if I need or more

Moose

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

Re: I'm currently running on two hours of sleep... new [Re: Allnatural]
#264399 - 09/10/11 09:09 AM

> which I got on *monday* night.
>
> Also, I had a job interview this morning. That was fun.
>
>
> Need insomnia cure kthnx.

So I eventually went and spoke with a doctor as the insomnia was driving me crazy. A load of standard DSM-IV psychological exams were performed, and while the results showed that I was possibly exhibiting signs of mild depression, the doctor did not feel that it was worth using pharmaceuticals to correct it since the side-effects were not any better than the condition being treated. He did recognize that the combination of all the stress I am dealing with and the lifestyle I lead is causing the problems. So he gave me a prescription for Clonazepam to help me on the nights where I really can't sleep. However, he was very good in letting me know about the side effects. He only only gave me one prescription's worth and said that he would not authorize refills for a number of reasons. One is that the sleep you get with Clonazepam is not a true deep sleep. It's more akin to passing out. Two, if you routinely take the medication you will get physically dependent on it for sleep, and benzodiazepines are really the only medications out there where withdrawal can cause death. Three, I still desire to go out and have a few beers with friends and the combination of benzodiazepines and alcohol can be deadly. He instructed me to take a tab each evening about 30 minutes before I want to fall asleep, and to attempt sleep at that time. If I've been out drinking, don't take any of the tabs.

I do have to say that it has helped, but if you notice the time that I'm making this post, it's not a cure-all. Went out and got/am-still bombed from this evening. So I can't take any meds tonight. But tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday I will abstain from drinking and give this a try. While it's not going to give me back a normal life in one or two doses, I do think it will help me get used to a normal sleep schedule after which I can just ditch this pharmaceutical. For me, it's more about getting back to a regular schedule of sleep, awake, and sleep again.

So the advice I can give is to see a doctor and let him/her know how it's bothering your life. If pharmaceuticals are prescribed, use them as an aide to your ultimate goal, but don't use them as your solution. I'm hoping that in a few weeks, I'll be back to normal.

I am just an imbecile.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: I'm currently running on two hours of sleep... new [Re: Jdurgi]
#264408 - 09/10/11 01:35 PM

> and
> benzodiazepines are really the only medications out there where withdrawal can cause
> death.

Certainly not the only ones, but yeah, nasty shit.

Hope you get some sleep.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

Re: I'm currently running on two hours of sleep... new [Re: Jdurgi]
#264410 - 09/10/11 02:40 PM

Things have been a bit better for me the past week. While I haven't gotten a full, good night's sleep in while, I haven't had any of the zero-sleep nights either.

I'll take 4-5 hours of intermittent sleep over none at all.

Jdurgi
Regular
Send PM

Re: I'm currently running on two hours of sleep... new [Re: italie]
#264450 - 09/11/11 02:43 AM

> > and
> > benzodiazepines are really the only medications out there where withdrawal can
> cause
> > death.
>
> Certainly not the only ones, but yeah, nasty shit.
>
> Hope you get some sleep.

Thanks. I seem to be able to get some sleep, but in odd periods. It's as if my internal clock has switched. I was unable to sleep last night but finally conked out at around 6:00 A.M. as the sun was coming up. I finally woke up at 5:00 P.M. which really made me angry as my body is now internally switched clock wise. Though I do have to admit, getting sleep has made me feel better and not so out of touch.

I am just an imbecile.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1860