View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Sharkpuncher
Puncher of Shark
Reged: 08/30/11
Send PM

MESS Dumping project?
#263431 - 08/30/11 09:05 PM

Apologies if this is an inappropriate place to post this, but I've looked around and can't seem to find an equivalent BB like this for MESS (the most centralized thing I found was the wiki) and I know a lot of the devs are also posters here. If there is one and you want to direct me there instead, feel free to do so. Then again I know I'm taking a risk because MESS seems to be a touchy subject when it comes to MAME.

Basically, I have a ton of computer stuff I've amassed over the years, first out of nostalgia-collecting, then out of a sense of preservation or some sort of obligation. Nowadays it's mainly a large amount of boxes and clutter I haven't touched in years. I found myself throwing some away out of utter necessity (had to clean out a storage unit and there was just too much) and it really pained the part of me that wanted to preserve it which is what made me think "oh wait, I might have an answer".

Lots of Apple (both II-series and mac, and possibly some Lisa 2 parts, I don't recall), Sun, NeXT, commodore/amiga, atari (both console and computer), and a ton of random oddball 70s-80s consoles and consoleputers that I'm probably forgetting to list. Ideally I'd like to get some of it into the hands of KNOWN messdev/dumpers (like Guru, LN, RB, ranger_lennier, etc) ... I really don't want a flurry of PMs from randoms who want something.

There is a portion of it I'm hoping to sell down the road because it's in awesome condition (like still with packaging and such) though this post is NOT meant as solicitation for that (in fact I may even pass those things on if it doesn't seem worth the time/effort to try dealing with eBay), but the majority of it is random loose hardware and boxes of scraggly bits and pieces that I would just love to get into the hands of someone who could use it towards emulation instead of putting it in a dumpster, especially since I found out recently my local thrift store just straight up throws out old electronics.
Cost of shipping, that sort of thing.

I just don't have space, the money, or the desire to drag it around my life anymore. I never thought that day would come and that I would resist that time in my adulthood that you always hear about when you can't hang onto everything anymore and find yourself getting rid of all of it but what do you do, you just wake up one day and there it is staring you in the face.

Ok, I'm rambling a lot but it's been something I've been thinking about a lot recently. I initially fantasized that I would buy a chip programmer and dump some stuff myself since I always wanted to do that, but I just don't have the free time anymore. Plus the good ones are kinda expensive.

If you're one of the people I mentioned or this applies to you, feel free to shoot me a PM and/or make recommendations. If there is interest, it will take me some time to sort things unless it's something I've recently gone through (which isn't that much sadly) but I will let you know when things are ready. If there's certain things that there is a burning interest for, I can try and round up those things first.

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

Re: MESS Dumping project? new [Re: Sharkpuncher]
#263432 - 08/30/11 09:23 PM

No apologies necessary! Pretty much anyone who is a fan of classic gaming or computing greatly appreciates you thinking of preserving your collection.

And no worries talking about MESS here. There really isn't much of a stigma about it. The only thing I can think of is people blaming it for taking MAME's developers, and that's so not true it's hardly worth mentioning.

Only other thing I wanted to add was that Smittdogg (Dumping Union leader):

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;sb=5&o=

will likely be the person you want to contact about dumping things if you're located in the US. He'll probably be along shortly to PM you with more info about where stuff can go. The Dumping Union is getting pretty darn good at dumping, and with luck will be able to handle the entirety of your collection.

Andrew

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#263433 - 08/30/11 09:28 PM

> Apologies if this is an inappropriate place to post this, but I've looked around and
> can't seem to find an equivalent BB like this for MESS (the most centralized thing I
> found was the wiki) and I know a lot of the devs are also posters here. If there is
> one and you want to direct me there instead, feel free to do so. Then again I know
> I'm taking a risk because MESS seems to be a touchy subject when it comes to MAME.

It is? Anyway, the wiki does a poor job of saying so, but the MESS forum is right here.

Sharkpuncher
Puncher of Shark
Send PM

Re: MESS Dumping project? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#263435 - 08/30/11 09:47 PM

Oh, thanks! I thought I looked pretty thoroughly but I missed it somehow.

Should I go mirror this post there, or let it run its course here for the moment?

re: MESS vs MAME, I thought that MESS discussion was often deemed OT for this board and I remember the last big discussion about MESS got kind of heated. Maybe I was just thinking too much.

Sharkpuncher
Puncher of Shark
Send PM

Re: MESS Dumping project? new [Re: drewcifer]
#263437 - 08/30/11 10:02 PM

I knew about Smitdogg/DU but somehow didn't think of it. I guess because I normally associate it with MAME, idk. Will keep an eye out for further info.

But yeah, it's a shame. In an ideal world I would keep it forever in the museum-like room I dedicated just to old technology of yesteryear in a sprawling, palatial house that exists in some fantasy of mine, and I had even managed to not only drag it around several states for the past 10 years, keep it in mind when planning for space needed in places to move, rent storage when necessary, and being "that guy with all the old computer crap" to my friends, but I had a bit of a wakeup call this year; First I have been trying to plan a major long-distance move and realizing that a lot of my stuff feels more like an albatross around my neck than a collection; then I had a break-in at a storage unit, not only was I hard-pressed to determine exactly what they stole, even though it was a bunch, but it was all basically valueless to insurance (and considering how arbitrary it was, I'm sure half of it ended up in the garbage after they tried to pawn it unsuccessfully, or something, anyway).

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: MESS Dumping project? new [Re: drewcifer]
#263439 - 08/30/11 10:31 PM

It's probably better to contact the mess folks about console and computer software dumping. I don't even own a 5.25 inch floppy drive and a lot of game carts are such a pain in the butt to dump "the mame way" that everyone just uses a cart reader. I don't own any of that and don't have time/interest to widen my scope past arcade games. I can send a message out to the mailing list if he just wants to dump a box to someone interested but I don't want it coming to me.

Sharkpuncher
Puncher of Shark
Send PM

Re: MESS Dumping project? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#263441 - 08/30/11 10:50 PM

If you want to do that, that is fine, or I can just go sign up on the other board and cross-post my initial post. Whatever you guys think is the best route for all of this.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#263442 - 08/30/11 11:07 PM

--
Lots of Apple (both II-series and mac, and possibly some Lisa 2 parts, I don't recall), Sun, NeXT, commodore/amiga, atari (both console and computer), and a ton of random oddball 70s-80s consoles and consoleputers that I'm probably forgetting to list. Ideally I'd like to get some of it into the hands of KNOWN messdev/dumpers (like Guru, LN, RB, ranger_lennier, etc) ...
--

Good list there. There might be needed bios/roms on some of those computer systems not yet supported in MESS. There is a want list page on Mess.org site of what computer systems (bios etc) are still needed. If any original diskettes are still on hand, those would definitely be wanted as well.

>Should I go mirror this post there, or let it run its course here for the moment?

Post there as well in case some forum posters there don't visit MW. There should be folks on that forum that can dump any of the roms from the pcbs or also make backup images of any of the diskettes.

>There is a portion of it I'm hoping to sell down the road because it's in awesome
>condition (like still with packaging and such) though this post is NOT meant as
>solicitation for that (in fact I may even pass those things on if it doesn't seem worth
>the time/effort to try dealing with eBay), but the majority of it is random loose >hardware and boxes of scraggly bits and pieces that I would just love to get into the >hands of someone who could use it towards emulation

Good luck in selling what items that might earn some money.

If there are still items that might not be needed, maybe try contacting, if possible, Al Kossow of Computer History Museum. Al has contributed in both areas of MAME and MESS.

http://www.computerhistory.org/staff/Al,Kossow/

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#263444 - 08/30/11 11:21 PM

Going forward it would be good to register at Bannister's forums and work from that MESS board. There's cross pollination here but you may get more appropriate eyes on your questions there.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#263445 - 08/30/11 11:27 PM

> Should I go mirror this post there, or let it run its course here for the moment?

It's probably OK just here, but you may as well maximize eyeballs by posting there too

> re: MESS vs MAME, I thought that MESS discussion was often deemed OT for this board
> and I remember the last big discussion about MESS got kind of heated. Maybe I was
> just thinking too much.

Not that I'm aware of. I mean, discussions of completely unrelated emulators (SuperModel, DEMUL, Makaron, etc) show up here fairly regularly, so I don't see why MESS would be a problem. After all, MAME and MESS will almost certainly get merged eventually, it'll just be done in a clean, planned manner that doesn't make the source ugly.

Sharkpuncher
Puncher of Shark
Send PM

Re: MESS Dumping project? new [Re: gregf]
#263452 - 08/30/11 11:50 PM

> Good list there. There might be needed bios/roms on some of those computer systems
> not yet supported in MESS. There is a want list page on Mess.org site of what
> computer systems (bios etc) are still needed. If any original diskettes are still on
> hand, those would definitely be wanted as well.

That's quite the huge list. I'll scroll through it later when I have a bit of free time. It looks like a lot of it non-US systems though :/ I mean, it makes sense though.

> Good luck in selling what items that might earn some money.
>
> If there are still items that might not be needed, maybe try contacting, if
> possible, Al Kossow of Computer History Museum. Al has contributed in both areas of
> MAME and MESS.
>
> http://www.computerhistory.org/staff/Al,Kossow/

I am definitely not averse to putting it in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and preserve it rather than going in the bin, especially after hanging onto it for all this time. I simply want to give first preference to devs since I suspect there are many people who would want it just for the sake of wanting it and wanted to draw a line initially. Hell, if 1996-me had seen a post where someone was giving old systems away, I would have considered renting a truck to drive there (and then it would have sat in my possession collecting dust for all this time). Whereas there are others who can make use of it that will both preserve it and benefit all that I want to give priority to. EDIT: Not that the Computer History Museum wouldn't, I just, well, you know what I mean.

Also, I just want you to know that your signature wishlist postings often prompted me to inspect dirty bins of 8-track tapes whenever I saw an odd-looking one or with a typed/printed label, just in case it went with some obscure old system. Every time it was just a cleaning tape, a recording (who knew you could buy an 8-track recorder?), or some kind of archaic server backup tape that looked vaguely like an 8-track from a distance.

Edited by Sharkpuncher (08/30/11 11:51 PM)

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Empire trilogy new [Re: Sharkpuncher]
#263469 - 08/31/11 02:22 AM

Would you happen to have the Empire trilogy by David Mullich? The first game "Empire 1: World Builders" has already been dumped, but 2 and 3 have not. Also, scans of the instruction manuals would be nice since you can't do much if you don't know the proper text input commands.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#263920 - 09/04/11 10:02 PM

With the price of gold, I would locate a company that could provide a way stripping old kit with gold contacts.

For what an ounce of gold costs today, could net you quite a bit of cash.

I bet the guru has quite a bit of kit that has gold contacts.

Makes dumping boards just like panning, eh?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1850