View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Russian arcade - more pics from the new location
#263281 - 08/29/11 02:17 PM

Here are some more pictures from (apparently) the new location of this neat Russian arcade from bygone days. Note the water machines that required an actual glass.

Enjoy.

Cable
retro gamer
Reged: 08/30/08
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Russian arcade - more pics from the new location new [Re: Shoegazr]
#263284 - 08/29/11 02:27 PM

I think smit needs to focus the unions efforts on trying to get his hands on these beauty's.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#263314 - 08/29/11 07:33 PM

> Here are some more pictures from (apparently) the new location of this neat Russian
> arcade from bygone days. Note the water machines that required an actual glass.
>
> Enjoy.

Nice. A room full of discrete logic & electromechanical games that gregf has never heard of! ;-)

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

Re: Russian arcade - more pics from the new location new [Re: Cable]
#263347 - 08/30/11 02:57 AM

> I think smit needs to focus the unions efforts on trying to get his hands on these
> beauty's.

It's a nice thought, though RB is right - many of the games are discrete logic based. That said, there are still a few undumped PCBs that aren't. I discussed this with one of the museum "curators" while on location several years ago, and he was certainly willing to help the MAME team in furtherance of its preservation efforts. I'm willing to bet his position hasn't changed.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Russian arcade - more pics from the new location new [Re: R. Belmont]
#263365 - 08/30/11 06:10 AM

>A room full of discrete logic & electromechanical games that gregf has never heard of!

The first video game, shown in photo, looks like a Steeplechase clone.....but probably isn't a clone of that game. It is funny seeing trees instead of hedges in case it is a clone of Steeplechase.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#263367 - 08/30/11 06:49 AM

> Here are some more pictures from (apparently) the new location of this neat Russian
> arcade from bygone days.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool to see games I wouldn't otherwise have the chance to see, but it really does seem like a sad selection of games. Like if those were the only options available in the arcade, I probably wouldn't be as into games as I am now. In the US, even the lamest campground rec room had better games back in the day.

> Note the water machines that required an actual glass.
Did you bring your own, or did the machines have their own communal glasses?
Talk about taking communism to a (disgusting) extreme.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

Re: Russian arcade - more pics from the new location new [Re: DMala]
#263390 - 08/30/11 02:24 PM

> Don't get me wrong, it's cool to see games I wouldn't otherwise have the chance to
> see, but it really does seem like a sad selection of games. Like if those were the
> only options available in the arcade, I probably wouldn't be as into games as I am
> now. In the US, even the lamest campground rec room had better games back in the day.

You're stating the obvious. First, given the vastly different socioeconomic conditions of the day in Russia, their "market" wasn't exactly thriving with arcade games. Rather, the games they did have were basically clones of games from other countries, as gregf observed, and literally ripped off in many cases. Second, the games on display in this museum are purely Russian, not a combination of US/Japan/UK etc., for obvious reasons. Finally, keep scale in mind: the fact that their collection only represents something less than 1% of the total number of arcade games from that era, combined with the passage of time, means you aren't likely to see many of them here.

I'm just thankful that someone over there cares as much as these guys have: the peek into this aspect of their culture is purely fascinating.

> > Note the water machines that required an actual glass.
> Did you bring your own, or did the machines have their own communal glasses?
> Talk about taking communism to a (disgusting) extreme.

Well yes, communal glasses were required. Disgusting to some perhaps, but the Russian people knew no other way, and were fine with that - at least back then. At least the machines provided a way to wash the glasses!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#263446 - 08/30/11 11:28 PM

>> Here are some more pictures from (apparently) the new location of this neat Russian
>> arcade from bygone days.

>Don't get me wrong, it's cool to see games I wouldn't otherwise have the chance to see,
>but it really does seem like a sad selection of games. Like if those were the only
>options available in the arcade, I probably wouldn't be as into games as I am now. In
>the US, even the lamest campground rec room had better games back in the day.

In a slight way, that was how arcades looked here (N. America region) if going back to 1960s to mid 1970s. The big difference would be some arcades would also have air hockey tables, pinball tables, better colorful looking EM hardware games..etc.

With chips (roms, cpus) still being costly, and monitors not specifically made for video games purposes until 1974, it was primarily assorted pong clone variations for folks to enjoy other than Computer Space, Space Race-Asteroid, Atari Gotcha etc. Better video game selections weren't happening until after summer of 1974.

FRK
The Original FRK
Reged: 07/16/07
Loc: BR1stOL:UK
Send PM

#263447 - 08/30/11 11:31 PM

> arcade from bygone days. Note the water machines that required an actual glass.
>
> Enjoy.

FANTASTIC......

Boo!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Russian arcade - more pics from the new location new [Re: gregf]
#263479 - 08/31/11 04:48 AM

> In a slight way, that was how arcades looked here (N. America region) if going back
> to 1960s to mid 1970s. The big difference would be some arcades would also have air
> hockey tables, pinball tables, better colorful looking EM hardware games..etc.

You know, that's what's missing... pinball tables. Do they just not have any in the collection, or did pinball never make its way to the USSR? I know even here, pinball had shady connotations for decades and was always on the verge of being banned by more conservative elements.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

#263664 - 09/01/11 11:21 PM

> > Note the water machines that required an actual glass.
> Did you bring your own, or did the machines have their own communal glasses?
> Talk about taking communism to a (disgusting) extreme.

I didn't grow up in the Soviet Union but I onced worked with a guy who did. A long time ago he told me about how the town he grew up in as a kid (in the Ukraine) had a single vending machine that dispensed Coca-Cola into a communal glass. I guess you rinsed the glass out somehow before you used it.

I always thought he was exaggerating but I guess not.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Russian arcade - more pics from the new location new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#263931 - 09/05/11 01:00 AM

he told me about how the town he grew up in as a kid (in the Ukraine) had a
> single vending machine that dispensed Coca-Cola into a communal glass. I guess you
> rinsed the glass out somehow before you used it.
>
> I always thought he was exaggerating but I guess not.

I've seen in apparently historically accurate movies where they had one cup or whatever at the village water spout.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

f205v
Dumper
Loc: Switzerland
Send PM

#264030 - 09/06/11 11:40 AM

Alex hasn't changed his mind.
He is still very MAME friendly.
Problem is: there are no more "dumpable" PCBs there. Everything with a CPU and some ROMs has already been dumped, all the rest is electromechanical.
Anyway, my Russian contact (Antro) was at their place a few nights ago, double checking every PCB before flying back to Italy. He confirmed that nothing dumpable is there. He gave Alex my old Willem EPROM programmer, so just in case anything interesting pops up the Russian guys will able to dump it themselves.

Ciao
f205v

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

Re: Russian arcade - more pics from the new location new [Re: f205v]
#264093 - 09/07/11 01:23 AM

> Alex hasn't changed his mind.
> He is still very MAME friendly.
> Problem is: there are no more "dumpable" PCBs there. Everything with a CPU and some
> ROMs has already been dumped, all the rest is electromechanical.
> Anyway, my Russian contact (Antro) was at their place a few nights ago, double
> checking every PCB before flying back to Italy. He confirmed that nothing dumpable is
> there. He gave Alex my old Willem EPROM programmer, so just in case anything
> interesting pops up the Russian guys will able to dump it themselves.

Hmmm.. I was under the impression there were a few more. Apparently that's not the case. Thanks for the info/update.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2725